NEMOC Random BS Thread

Limerock was a blast! Got my laps down to 1:10, 95mph at the end of the straight going into big bend.

11ae4b5a94c54518f7fe36a14b6d1d50.jpg

The video looks so slow and relaxed playing it back, but every turn is white knuckle. The speeds seem off in this video. I was just over 60 mph through big bend, 75 through the uphill and west bend turns, and maybe 80 through the downhill and 95 by the end of the straight. My chassis is NOT set up for hard braking. I can set the car up in a corner, but when I'm hard on the brakes there is a ton of forward body pitch that doesn't show itself in the video, and the rear end starts dancing around. Add to that trying to heal-toe downshift and that first turn is by far the scariest. I had a chat with the driver of the yellow Miata between sessions. It may be hard to pick up on the video but he only brakes once per lap. Yes, you read that correctly. Coast into all the other turns and let the tires scrub the speed off. I started doing this toward the end. My foot was over the brake pedal but I stopped touching it. So my lap was a 1:10.10. I looked up the track record for an IT7 SCCA car and it's 1:04, set back in 2008 when they first repaved the track. That's my same motor but in a stripped down car with coil overs, custom rear link, and probably different final gears. 6 seconds is a lot of time...I think I would have hit a 1:09 if I had another session...and the car might be good for 1:07 as it is, but in the right hands.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=ZUnJPPb5Iig[/video]

That was a fun day, good turn out. I missed last year because work but going to try to make it this year.

A bit of progress on the Mr2.

Complete overhaul of front end. New bushings, tie rods (inner AND outer), ball joints, brake rotors, lines, pads, bearings, Koni adjustables, and eibach springs. Phew, should drive like a new car once we get an alignment.

8ca2d8a6741611126574a86a5bef6155.jpg

Also tackled some oily bits. New distributor cap and rotor, spark plug wires, and spark plugs. Then I got under the car and found the source of some of the oil leaks. Two cheap hoses that connect a water-to-oil cooler. I have replacement hose but I’m waiting for the specific crush washers to come in from Toyota parts dealer so I can reinstall the banjo bolts on either end. Plus the online community recommended replacing some seals on the oil filter adapter so I’ll do those too.

5da29208bb55f5783947b8bedf02b7e3.jpg

Had to remove the A/C compressor just to get to them, so I’ll replace that belt when i reinstall.

b6d5f28f82be6d9b2138bb71071f56a3.jpg

Meanwhile, Amanda kept her hands clean as she vacuumed out the interior, removed the seats, and cleaned out a few decades of Hampton Beach sand from under the carpets. Collected a handful of NH toll booth tokens along the way. Also, who knew there was a subwoofer under the seat?? Cute little OEM freebie.

4de46a06de35e6eb3eb91be6c4cbd424.jpg

And then she treated all the vinyl and leather and we installed new seats...

6a28a99f23894f636205256c37db2c3a.jpg

06e74ac3a58fe51364df992eb171187f.jpg

a4e8d3f8211dee3aa5f042eba7e49777.jpg

Oh, I don’t have any photos but I gave Amanda the job of flushing the transmission fluid and pumping in new Redline fluid. I had to break loose the bolts but she took it from there...about half way through the second bottle she realized why I gave her that job ;)

Anyway, that about wraps up all the parts we ordered except for the cooling system: water pump, timing belt, thermostat, radiator, and all new silicone hose kit. I think we’ll save that for a fall/winter project since we want to have the summer to enjoy the ride. Flushing and bleeding the system is a real pain and there are a ton of hoses. Plus...my eye has turned toward the next project....

600ae0c86890128b2e795c2f7b66b0b1.jpg

Was it Miata day? Perfect day for it! I spent the morning getting the camper ready for the season. Hoping to see everyone at Limerock in July!

Was it Miata day? Perfect day for it! I spent the morning getting the camper ready for the season. Hoping to see everyone at Limerock in July!

No, Miata day is next month, this was all cars for 3 hrs, cars and coffee event. Lots of super cars too!
d43d53a789ccbb25e9ee783f92d477ba.jpg

ffe884bb7f5b753b26ec87e350f89b20.jpg

Back