NEMOC Random BS Thread

My sister evacuated from Key West to where my parents are in Naples. Then when the trajectory changed they all went to Orlando. They just got back to Naples and damage doesn't look too bad. No flooding in their neighborhood. No idea when my sister will be able to return to Key West.

My sister evacuated from Key West to where my parents are in Naples. Then when the trajectory changed they all went to Orlando. They just got back to Naples and damage doesn't look too bad. No flooding in their neighborhood. No idea when my sister will be able to return to Key West.
At least she's safe. KW got leveled. Might be awhile.

Nice Josh, didn't your former employer run into some "trouble"?

They sure did. Attorney General went after a bunch of dealerships cracking down on bad sales techniques. Glad I was never involved in that. Still left a bad name for them and soon they will shut down anyway. The owners are concerned about one thing only and that's making money for themselves. They could care less about their employees or their customers.

As you guys know, I spent a ton of time online racing with Gran Turismo. That scene is dying out with the delay of the new game and players defecting to other games. So I finally broke down and bought a subscription to iRacing. It's the online racing simulator (don't call it a game) that tons of professional drivers use as well as thousands of amateurs. They offer road racing, oval racing, and dirt track career paths where you race against drivers of similar ability and safety ratings. They have spec miata events on an hourly basis with revolving tracks for rookie drivers but advanced drivers participate as well. The safety rating system is very strict and making contact with other cars will drop your rating quickly so drivers try to keep things clean. In the rookie rooms, it's more about avoiding drivers and waiting for them to crash themselves. However, everyone is pretty serious and competitive and they expect you to be checking your mirrors.

Last night the track for spec miata changed over to Limerock Park. It's the old track before the paving job. The fast drivers could lap the track under 57 seconds. I was stuck around 1:00 until I had a breakthrough and started seeing mid 58s. The track is extremely intense even in a video game. There are no breaks and every corner is fast and on the edge of grip. The old pavement throws the wheel around worse than any other track I've driven in a game. You know all this, you've been there. Maybe because I've been there it adds another level of intensity. Every crash I've seen in person I have now seen and/or experienced myself in just 4 hours of virtual track time. The game handles unexpected oversteer in turn 1, the imbalance of the car transitioning from the lefthander to no name, the loss of traction cresting the uphill, and the way you get shot out of the final turn onto the straight exactly like being there in real life. It's emotionally draining to keep the car at the limit and flowing around all the corners for 20 laps. There are no heavy braking zones, just slight lifts and light scrubbing of the brakes to get the car to rotate without breaking traction, and if you brake even slightly too much the guy behind you comes right up on your bumper like you're standing still. I have a new found respect for this track and the drivers that can pull off 2+ hour stints.

I also dabbled in the late model street stock 3/4 mile oval racing. It's a bit of a s*** show with drivers all over the place at the start, but once you get into a rhythm it can be fun. You just stay on someone's bumper until they make a mistake, even the slightest bobble or hint of over/understeer from your opponent and you need to be ready to pounce.

My best finish so far at Limerock. The graphics in-game are way better than this compressed screen grab. Getting the line right over those old patches is tough. If you fall out of the groove you really lose momentum.

Mark said it best! Wow!!! I might have missed it but what are you using to play, a controller or do you have a wheel/seat combo?

I have a Logitech G29 racing wheel and pedals. Using my desk chair at the moment. I don't have a shifter yet so I use the paddles. I'm left foot braking and don't use the clutch (yet). If you use the clutch in this game you must rev match or suffer the wrath of snap oversteer when you get it wrong.

There isn't much braking at Limerock and I set my fastest qualifying time by just lifting early and coasting through turns 5 and 6. There is a slight lift for 7 too and I time it with my gear change. Once the tires start to wear down I can't coast through the turns so very light braking is required to set the car up. Too much and the car drifts through the corner. It's easy to control the drift but it scrubs way too much speed and that's when you see my opponent pull right up on my bumper.

Getting the line right is crucial. There's extra camber inside those turns if you keep the outside wheel on the patch work. Slide outside that groove and you're opening the door for your opponent.

I have a Logitech G29 racing wheel and pedals. Using my desk chair at the moment. I don't have a shifter yet so I use the paddles. I'm left foot braking and don't use the clutch (yet). If you use the clutch in this game you must rev match or suffer the wrath of snap oversteer when you get it wrong.

There isn't much braking at Limerock and I set my fastest qualifying time by just lifting early and coasting through turns 5 and 6. There is a slight lift for 7 too and I time it with my gear change. Once the tires start to wear down I can't coast through the turns so very light braking is required to set the car up. Too much and the car drifts through the corner. It's easy to control the drift but it scrubs way too much speed and that's when you see my opponent pull right up on my bumper.

Getting the line right is crucial. There's extra camber inside those turns if you keep the outside wheel on the patch work. Slide outside that groove and you're opening the door for your opponent.

That's a nice wheel! With all of this driving time on the track now, I think you should lead the parade laps next year. ;)

I just got an email from Scuf Gaming announcing the release of their Forza Elite controller inspired by the 911 GT2RS. While it is nice and comes bundled with a collectible 1/43rd scale car, I'd much rather spend the same or less on a wheel set-up like you have for racing games.

https://scufgaming.com/scuf-forza-elite-controller

I'll be working part time for 3 months, then heading to NC/FL for 4 months in Dec.

You and Bruce should meet up to tear up the Auto-X courses together!

Latest posts

Back