NEMOC Random BS Thread

Got her an alignment today after a mild drop on Progress springs...
5b62f18dd347a3622d7b1d2c4001b049.jpg

Thanks!!
Front sway going in Friday....I miss our install meets....could have used a hand getting those springs in...they front sway requires almost everything to come out but the engine...[emoji6]

Last edited:
Any time you wanna come up here and wrench on stuff my garage is open :)

One bay anyway. MR2 is still work in progress.

f62f775c9b58a06c56826039949936de.jpg

Picked up the new motor for the RX7 from Lui’s last night. Still waiting for a few parts to arrive but the hard stuff is done. I don’t have the bolt kit for the flywheel, and it’s back ordered from Racing Beat...sooo might be 3 weeks before I start pulling the old motor. In the meantime, I’ve got a track day at Canaan Motor Club on Sunday, and Limerock on Thursday! I’ll put some good laps down and hopefully get back next year to try and beat those times with then new engine.

713f20e73fe27db773fb1143eb12d933.jpg

Quick mock up of the intake.

0ba78e7131d4fd4bd641020056c86ce2.jpg

I've heard they're a b***** to install.

Ya, I did find a short cut , if that’s what you want to call it...took 3 hrs start to finish....had to disconnect all sorts of bits and connectors, air box, battery tray, all under tray panels.....bla, bla, bla...but I got it out...putting the new bar in was a bit easier because I new just how to move and twist it into place. Hey, at least I didn’t have to cut off the those stupid end links like we did on the proteges!

Any time you wanna come up here and wrench on stuff my garage is open :)

One bay anyway. MR2 is still work in progress.

f62f775c9b58a06c56826039949936de.jpg

Picked up the new motor for the RX7 from Lui’s last night. Still waiting for a few parts to arrive but the hard stuff is done. I don’t have the bolt kit for the flywheel, and it’s back ordered from Racing Beat...sooo might be 3 weeks before I start pulling the old motor. In the meantime, I’ve got a track day at Canaan Motor Club on Sunday, and Limerock on Thursday! I’ll put some good laps down and hopefully get back next year to try and beat those times with then new engine.

713f20e73fe27db773fb1143eb12d933.jpg

Quick mock up of the intake.

0ba78e7131d4fd4bd641020056c86ce2.jpg

Oooo....I like! What’s the specs on this bad boy?

Oooo....I like! What’s the specs on this bad boy?

It’s a really big street port. Bigger than the templates you can get from places like Racing Beat or Atkins, but not so big the car won’t idle or cruise. We sent out the rotors, e-shaft and counter weights to get balanced so it rev smooth and high. I’ve got a high output alternator to put on, new water pump, oil meter pump, 13lb flywheel (stock is 23lbs) and Exedy stage 1 clutch. It’s a side draft intake with a twin 45mm Jenvey throttle body. I am ditching the beehive water to oil cooler that sits on the oil filter pedestal in favor of a later model front mount oil cooler. Currently the car probably makes 100-105 whp. This will bump it to an estimated 160 whp, maybe 170, but it’s gonna have a huge power band. The motor came with a decent transmission too, down the road I’m gonna find a Miata transmission and swap the gears into it for closer ratios.

I haven’t picked injectors yet because I was going to see if I could maybe tap the manifold and put two small ones closer to the ports for cruising and then larger ones in the throttle body. I also haven’t decided if I’m ditching the A/C. I probably will. It doesn’t work now, and I’ve made it two years with there only being a handful of days I wished it was working. Last thing for me to figure out, now that i have it back, is throttle linkage. In stock form, there are 4 cables connected to the carb. Throttle, choke, hot start, and cruise control. I can probably get by without hot start. For choke I’m thinking about using another idle valve instead , but I still need that second cable connected for cruise control.

Went to Canaan Motor Club today. I'll have video soon, but I just had to point out that ND body roll in one of the photos I took! I don't blame you for swapping out the suspension Mark! The track is great. Very technical, a lot like Thompson, only shorter, with no real straight. A few 40 mph turns, a few 60 mph turns, and one 75 mph turn that you need to work up the balls to hammer. Two corners are a bit rough with banking that throws you around if you get off the line, but it just adds to the challenge. This chicane below was my favorite part. I love hitting the rumble strips!

20-P1070897.JPG

Yeah a little bit here and there, we were running similar laps prior to the start of the video but then I found some more time and dropped about 1 second off my laps and caught up to him.

It looked that way watching the video...

I got my miata up to the new house last weekend! Then the next day I had a clutch pedal which was going almost to the floor easily and barely got it home after going to the store. Slave cylinder is shot! Luckily they are super cheap and easy to replace!
T89QgeyM7hS8MTLTd5koQxiL2ntQ_yNTkpowjBFKdOkuvJzOFG1wDcahhUqPTesltw3PQB14vBPz-PqMibJoAZiKYbpJThq2kthhii9uj37XfIqXzrwxFD9QXx4gP0WHF19hU-5U0LxMlc1U0XAPYXznICkXpMT9ydJz1V_GJlLC1Ec0oYZ4kW1O-gDrN6ayZzClufeMguo4t8bUYFOZAhUfVSY9VXYtVKhLgV7lztWWn9PtmR-6d0DcRRRGg-ONqbV5zRDyq8jIylVimMx3VQN-XNXrrfHFc--ctaYxgbPodQ-_aS3LQ81nDHykNqh1vQ8WkxAmQOKLiL7OQRSH7CzKd819TO5q7FlyPuuUX7bsRP041-yd8g87tDgVg5Kt6h-np9WEABbP_ZuXu-Qdr0QyaL-F_ifIA_pum2bSzZkyqF9-fvFPcK2nfKAkyPComJ-4P9uPqJ36oGLNDf-NA2YqGHhJilAVgludrApU3YCbuydxCHKCoqXQopKFHZNZjwqmrB9b6QPUwNaQQpE_hd0Jt0LYEKegLyFAKW-lt3pr031s6j5XXrgdmDkETm7yUIseoiu8klDIFEsMxPq7N12LmcFKPOtKbk5xa_Gi=w694-h390-no

The clutch slaves also frequently fail, and that curly-Q line is a pain in the balls to bleed.

Unless there's a compelling reason not to, I'd suggest changing it all out (master, slave, straight-shot braided hose to replace all that other nonsense), bleeding it once and not worrying about it for a very long time.

The only reason not to do all that, is I have the slave all ready to go in and I want to drive it this weekend. I can order up the line and rest of the parts to replace it when I do the brake booster later on this year. My brake pedal is hard to press but the car stops really well, so it is either the booster or a vacuum leak somewhere going to the booster. Just need to verify what is wrong.

Back