NEMOC Random BS Thread

I was thinking about the one in May and staying for the weekend, not sure I can make June. Youre gonna s*** yourself, its an insane track at speed!

Well, maybe I should bring a change of clothes! Looking forward to it!
9d1db67d0494f6dbb0bf8a52f683d6dc.jpg

Wiring up the battery...
8e40a689f9a50aa22a82c7213870e366.jpg

Intake is on for the final time with all the vacuum lines and throttle cable cut to size.
7490ccd0e0c7f450f84dcf2231f9d213.jpg

Test fitting the new fan kit. It came with a shroud but I had to make some modifications.
8ce3ba659b4f798b3e279531221ef90e.jpg

449600ad59405b0b73be0798a0a0c45c.jpg

3bda45e6e0126906e79a0a1d6fbbea68.jpg

Tonight I need to attach the brackets and wire it directly to the battery. It comes with a built-in sensor and controller that will run at variable speed based on demand. Should be quieter than the fan I put on the REPU.

Still have a bunch of wiring to finish for the ECU but getting very close to first startup.

Really making me wish I spent the money on silicone hoses rather than OEM. Main reason I didnt is that my heater hoses and radiator hoses were already "new" (4 years old with maybe 10k on them). So I just decided to keep it boring OEM black!

Yeah, Im fully committing to the red white and blue theme.

Been in the garage every night this week. Wired up power to the fan, and started on the new ECU mounting bracket and harness.

dd0dedda2a5421e2a2f001bf819df478.jpg

90b30cb148a1d29dc943c13c47bee90f.jpg

b5b0dde953693e207c48e44ac485d8a8.jpg

c451ed6098d00f2028e5125058cd905f.jpg

7c45f58e9d1a250921965a6755e6b44e.jpg

Yeah, Im fully committing to the red white and blue theme.

Been in the garage every night this week. Wired up power to the fan, and started on the new ECU mounting bracket and harness.

dd0dedda2a5421e2a2f001bf819df478.jpg

90b30cb148a1d29dc943c13c47bee90f.jpg

b5b0dde953693e207c48e44ac485d8a8.jpg

c451ed6098d00f2028e5125058cd905f.jpg

7c45f58e9d1a250921965a6755e6b44e.jpg

Looking forward to seeing all your work in person!

Looking forward to seeing all your work in person!

oh mahk, still quoting replies and not editing out all the pictures. What are ya, an old man or something??? :D

Slowly putting the miatas motor back together after the timing belt, water pump, crank/cam seals. Valve cover is back from powdercoat. Hoping to have it running this weekend, then Im away for a week. Once im back I will start digging into the clutch and rear main seal swap. Decided now that I am back with the car in CT I really need to put more money into the car to cheer me up due to the fact that I am back in CT :p

oh mahk, still quoting replies and not editing out all the pictures. What are ya, an old man or something??? :D

Slowly putting the miatas motor back together after the timing belt, water pump, crank/cam seals. Valve cover is back from powdercoat. Hoping to have it running this weekend, then Im away for a week. Once im back I will start digging into the clutch and rear main seal swap. Decided now that I am back with the car in CT I really need to put more money into the car to cheer me up due to the fact that I am back in CT :p

[emoji22] I use Tapatalk and when you quote a message it condenses all the photos to one screen and if you want to see them all there is a more button at the bottom, no need to delete pics.......good news, you didnt post any pics of all your hard work for me to copy [emoji12], yes Im old...Ill be collecting SS in 4 months!
By the way, when is the spring cleaning meet for 2019? [emoji848]

[emoji22] I use Tapatalk and when you quote a message it condenses all the photos to one screen and if you want to see them all there is a more button at the bottom, no need to delete pics.......good news, you didn*t post any pics of all your hard work for me to copy [emoji12], yes I*m old...I*ll be collecting SS in 4 months!
By the way, when is the spring cleaning meet for 2019? [emoji848]

HAH! I know I know. My spring so far is pretty busy and I am waiting to hear back from my Ohio group about when their first cruise of the year is (usually May, but might be June). I know I am busy the first weekend of May and likely will be traveling memorial day weekend. In between I should be good, as well as mid April when hopefully new clutch is in. Was planning to swap it in my garage but Ill put car back together and drive over to a friends garage and use the lift instead.

Sounds great! No fuel leaks?

I pressure tested the whole system with my air compressor before ever putting any fuel in. Blocked off the return line with an -6AN cap and had Amanda under the car pressurizing the feed. I followed the lines and tightened things up. However, while I was getting it to run I did have a small leak from the fuel injector o-ring. The injectors are about 5mm too short and the fuel pressure pushed them out far enough for a little gas to squirt out. I discovered a solution though. I had some RX8 o-ring kits from when I was trying to use RX8 injectors on the REPU. They didnt fit, but the o-rings were tall and thick and perfectly filled the gap so there was more tension on the injector keeping it deeper in the fuel rail. Hasnt leaked since.

The other leak I had was when the oil cooler thermostat finally opened. The return hose seeped some oil between the fitting and the engine block adapter. Tightened it up and she was good.

Cant really tell if there are any manifold vacuum leaks right now. I tried to pressurize the manifold like I did with the fuel lines but it just leaked so much air into the engine block it was hard to tell if that test was a success. Ill try again after the engine is broken in and has more compression.

In other news, a lady from the neighborhood behind us caught Amanda bringing in the trash and complained about the noise. I had started and ran the Rx7 for about 15 minutes last night around 9:30, apparently that was too late. I suppose its spring and the sound carries without the leaves, but I didnt think it was overly loud. It was in the garage with rubber hoses dumping out a crack in the garage door. Coincidentally, there are some new tenants in a house a few blocks away and one guy has a straight piped VW GTI and his friends have equally annoying loud vehicles and theyve been using our neighborhood as a cut-through. I hear them several times a day but havent been able to get the plates. There is no worse sound to hear at 1 in the morning than a straight piped 4 banger...so I kind of sympathize with her. I dont want the blame for their shenanigans so im going to only work on it during daylight hours from now on.

That's one thing I'm kinda half looking forward to and half dreading, is ripping out the fuel system and installing a returnless, 100% push loc AN -6 system for E85. Should be a fun project, but also one of those projects that will inevitably make me tear my hair out.

I went with a return system. From what I read, returnless is more of a budget minded solution. It will work, but it doesnt react to pressure changes as quickly, and the temp of the fuel being injected will be warmer because it sits in the rail longer. I thought the opposite, cycling all the fuel through the engine bay might cause all of it to heat up, but the cycle helps cool it down as it passes along the return. I dont know for sure though, youd have to watch the trends closely.

Although I havent driven the car yet, I gotta say this whole intake package is much more friendly. Once the car warms up it revs pretty smooth without the transient table enabled. I had all sorts of problems getting the trucks intake to behave...but that may have been due to the vacuum leaks the shop discovered.

Did you know, Jenvey makes a kit for the Miata? I suggest not visiting the site unless you have a hole to burn in your wallet.

I've read both sides: working the fuel back and forth the length of the car heats it up on its own vs staying in the (relatively) cool tank. I should probably do some data logging on that, but, meh. Either works. The NA miatas are a return style (which is what mine is currently), the NBs are returnless. My street cars are one of each.

Since I'm building it out, I'm going with the simpler solution. I plan on putting the regulator and ethanol sensor in the rear near the tank, then run a single line (using 1 of the stock hard lines) to the front.

Last edited:
Are you going turbo as well? My ECU supports E85 and a flex fuel sensor but without a turbo Im not going to make any more power. In fact, Im not sure Id even make more power with 93 over 87. Perhaps once I get bored with the power Im making I will make a second pass and boost the motor.

I took the car for its first drive to fill up the gas tank. Stalled it a few times getting used to the clutch and lightweight flywheel. The tune is way off and I have a list of things to fix before I can even take it on the highway. The hard stuff is done though...Ill mess with the tune a bit and schedule some dyno time to dial it in before my first track day.

Back