NEMOC Random BS Thread

As if I didn’t have enough on-going car projects, I picked up a toy for Amanda. This needs close to a full restoration but it’s a complete unmolested runner with 185k. She is going to work on it with me. I’m not turning a wrench without her in the garage with me. The seller had the car since the early 90’s and had a stack of receipts, enough to piece together a basic history. Unfortunately that history includes a trip to Maaco so the paint presents well in photos but looks quite horrid up close. The day we took it home I placed a big order for parts.

Phase 1: all new brakes, brake lines, bearings, tie rods, ball joints, shocks, and springs. There was nothing in the paperwork about when this stuff was done and I figured it would be best to just tear it all down and build it back up again.

Phase 2: I also got a new radiator and hoses and plan to flush all the fluids.

Phase 3: It smokes at startup and I think it’s the valve seals. That’s new territory for me but I ordered a seal kit, water pump, cap, rotor, plugs, and fresh belts to rebuild the top end. Last time the timing belt was done was 30k ago but over 10 years.

Phase 4: find a better bumper, fix the rust in the rear quarter and wrap or plastidip the paint to hide the fabulous Maaco work. Amanda also wants to refinish the steering wheel, shift boot, and maybe drop in new seats. Plus there is a small crack in the dash that needs to be addressed.

The car was cheap, real cheap, so I figured it was a better investment than paying more for a car that was going to need all the same stuff. I know the motor and transmission are solid...and these cars will run forever. Most parts, aside from the shocks and struts, were cheap too. $10 for a brake rotor? Check!

And now for some photos...
98c6fb9939794362e0d5dd8cee5f76d5.jpeg

16132e06810c8cdf8b005ce2efbde851.jpeg

cc57094f13589ed9255c86254d45db7b.jpg

fd8127a01aefeadf47de97bcf122e476.jpg

f6b3a18c8cbad1f5dfbfcfd96b54b660.jpeg

35f927c05de4cd7459ced15471e8aee6.jpg

Cool! My brother owned 2!!

Agreed. I'm amazed at the price that some clubs charge for a school day. To me you're better off going to an event and grabbing an instructor for some of your runs or to work on a specific issue.

Workload for today, run the genny and do an oil change, drain and replace the fresh water tanks.

Safe travels home! So you’re done with the RV? What kinda money will you get for her? I’m locking at a B+.

Agreed. I'm amazed at the price that some clubs charge for a school day. To me you're better off going to an event and grabbing an instructor for some of your runs or to work on a specific issue.

Workload for today, run the genny and do an oil change, drain and replace the fresh water tanks.

The seat time with the instructor was definitely helpful and getting about 15-20 minutes of back to back runs through a slalom was a great way to get the feel for things. But there is absolutely no reason to have all the students there from 7:30-5:30 for what amounts to 1hr of seat time and maybe about 1hr of non-seat instructional time, and 1.5hrs of corner work. I don’t mind the volunteer part, but between driving and volunteering, they need some chalk talk or white board discussions. There was no instruction about weight transfer, managing tires, picking a line, etc, until you got in the car.

As far as the price goes, I’m not all that upset about it because I know it includes a free event later in the season (one option was the next day but we had stuff to do) an entry to a national event (which we likely won’t make), and a pass for a Track night (which we are definitely using) and club membership. So once you include all that, the value isn’t bad...it’s just a lot of standing around.

Interesting Chris, most autox schools I've seen offer none of the extras you are getting.

Still think getting an instructor at the autox is the cheapest way to go.

Got the Genny running and changed the oil today. Tomorrow is the fresh water tank.

Work is already hassling me for not being back yet.

Interesting Chris, most autox schools I've seen offer none of the extras you are getting.

The Starting Line School is an SCCA National program where they fly out instructors and people to run the program in partnership with the hosting region. We had one in Atlanta this weekend as well. If you're just starting out, it's a pretty damn good deal IMO. Yeah, expensive for an autox school, but it comes with a bunch of perks.

Sounds like a great deal, just never seen it at the schools I've attended.

Left Melbourne this morning. In Savannah GA tonite, on my way to Columbia SC to visit my cousin. Before I left this morning checked the tires before hitting the road and found one of the duals leaking. Checked the valve stem and it was leaking. Tightened down the valve insert and all is good. 1 day down 5 to go. Snowing and sleet back home, can't wait to get there!!

I know the group has more or less spread out, but my wife and I are closing on a house soon in central CT so I could host a spring clean, summer, whenever meet up for us!

Yup, got home week ago Thursday. Had my 1st week at work last week. Moving into the house on Tuesday. Been running around buying stuff for the house. Still bloody cold this past week. looking forward to warmer weather NOW!!!

Ordered Re71R's for the car and a new helmet, the old one expires this year. First race next weekend

Last edited:
Yup, got home week ago Thursday. Had my 1st week at work last week. Moving into the house on Tuesday. Been running around buying stuff for the house. Still bloody cold this past week. looking forward to warmer weather NOW!!!

Ordered Re71R's for the car and a new helmet, the old one expires this year. First race next weekend

Nice, warming up this week here, finally! Looking for a P/T job 3 days a week, applied at a local dealership for a driver/lot position

Just got back from vacation in San Francisco. Amanda’s aunt and uncle took us up in their twin engine plane. We flew from Walnut Creek to Bridgeport and back. I thought we were just going up for a quick loop...nope, we literally crossed the Sierra’s had lunch then flew back.

be2ec596713998766b52c6c61dfcdbc9.jpg

Yosemite Falls from 5,000 ft.

f49df986b0d4def16adfa409ab4b3d67.jpg

We did the usual SF stuff as well.

7e7bd8d2aedc2ac429f22b36f9bcd543.jpg

e9a41d44b1f180cede9a2cab65ebb70f.jpg

Then of course we came home and got some more work done on the MR2. The rear end is complete. All new bushings, tie rods, ball joints, end links, bearings, shocks, springs, pads, rotors, brake lines and e-brake cables, the works! We stalled out on the front. Had to pull the steering rack to get the inner tie rods off and it had to come out anyway to replace the bushings. Not long before it’s back on the road.

93838ba102dbe3f2199f7ccb6291f61e.jpg

4d5ca6f2d00eb86bad3dacb209a17e43.jpg

40e1be3d98c7cedce51f1653d346e573.jpg

Last edited:
Just got back from vacation in San Francisco. Amanda’s aunt and uncle took us up in their twin engine plane. We flew from Walnut Creek to Bridgeport and back. I thought we were just going up for a quick loop...nope, we literally crossed the Sierra’s had lunch then flew back.

be2ec596713998766b52c6c61dfcdbc9.jpg

Yosemite Falls from 5,000 ft.

f49df986b0d4def16adfa409ab4b3d67.jpg

We did the usual SF stuff as well.

7e7bd8d2aedc2ac429f22b36f9bcd543.jpg

e9a41d44b1f180cede9a2cab65ebb70f.jpg

Then of course we came home and got some more work done on the MR2. The rear end is complete. All new bushings, tie rods, ball joints, end links, bearings, shocks, springs, pads, rotors, brake lines and e-brake cables, the works! We stalled out on the front. Had to pull the steering rack to get the inner tie rods off and it had to come out anyway to replace the bushings. Not long before it’s back on the road.

93838ba102dbe3f2199f7ccb6291f61e.jpg

4d5ca6f2d00eb86bad3dacb209a17e43.jpg

40e1be3d98c7cedce51f1653d346e573.jpg

Wow, awesome pics! I’ve been to those locations, but I was at ground level!!!
Love the car and the work Amanda! I’m sure Chris is a big help [emoji6]!

Nice, warming up this week here, finally! Looking for a P/T job 3 days a week, applied at a local dealership for a driver/lot position

So, landed a job today, 3 days a week, greeting customers and moving cars in and out of the service area. No heavy lifting!

Back