Fog Light Mod! (56k beware)

redspeed6

:
Mazdaspeed 6
Not sure if this is a repost - don't think it is but here goes .....

Don't ya hate that you can't have your fog lights on without your headlights on ?? This is what i did to fix that !

First - any electrical disconnect battery.
100_0026.jpg

Then open the fuse/relay box cover - should look similar - (mine is a speed 6)
100_0024.jpg

First - remove the big white connector - on the right side of the relay box. Press in on the tab here
100_0027.jpg

and slide the white connector up and then push to the side
100_0028.jpg

Now, we need to seperate the fuse/relay box into 2 parts. This is much easier than tryin to remove the entire box.... there are 4 small tabs on the outside corners - look like these .....
100_0029-1.jpg

100_0030-1.jpg

100_0031-1.jpg

Use a small screwdriver to pry out on the tab like so and gently pull up on the corner of the relay box. It should pull up just enough to dis-engage the tab.
100_0032.jpg

OK, now that you have to relay box seperated from the outside cover, we need to split the section with all the relays (by the battery) from the other section to get to the light green wire that goes to the fog light relay.
Use a small screwdriver and pry on the right section of the relay box to free the relay section ( by battery). There are 2 tabs to release.
100_0033-1.jpg

100_0034-1.jpg

It fits snug so a little wiggle wiggle and it will come out.
100_0035.jpg

The fog light relay is the last relay and the bottom left of the box. Under the relay you will find a light green wire.. looka like this one...
100_0036-1.jpg

That is the signal wire (ground) to the fog light relay. The circuit is grounded out when the headlights come on. We are going to bypass the headlight ground and use the parking light ground to make the fog lights come on when the parking lights are on. Pretty Cool Huh?
Now you have to cut this wire, but we are going to cut it in a way that you can hook it back to stock if you so choose.
100_0037.jpg

The wire from the relay that is cut is the wire end that will be going to the parking light relay. The other end of the wire that dissappears into the relay box, tape that end off so it doesnt short out on anything and tuck it away.
100_0038.jpg

Now we are going to pull up the other section of the relay box to expose the light green and black wire under the parking light relay.
100_0040-1.jpg

This wire provides the ground to complete the circuit to turn on the parking lights and is the wire that we are going to tap into to provide the ground to turn the fog lights on as well.
This is what I used to make this happen.
A wire T-tap.
100_0041.jpg

Simply connect the wire tap to the light green and black wire like so....
100_0047.jpg

Now, the light green wire that we cut from the fog light relay will no reach to the light green and black wire of the parking light relay. You will need to lenghten the wire in order to make this work. I had some 16ga wire laying around and some butt connectors that i used.
I like to cut and fold the ends of the stripped wire over before i insert into a butt connector, especially on thin gauge wire, just to make sure i have a good connection.
100_0043.jpg

After the have the wire lengthened , add the t-tap to the other end of the light green wire from the fog light relay and insert into the wire tap on the light green and black wire from the parking light relay.
100_0046.jpg

Tuck everything down and make sure that you don't pinch any wires when you go to re-install the relay box. After you get it all back together, it looks like this ....
100_0051.jpg

Pretty Cool Huh?

This should take about 45 mins or so, and isn't that hard to complete. If you have and questions or run into any problems, let me know. I will try to post the wiring diagrams tomorrow if i have time after work.

Enjoy!(rockon)

I did it the same way as far as taking that part of the fuse box apart, but I did not tap the wire. I cut it and soldered it to the parking light signal relay connector spade. The spade does come out with some work. I should of taken pics at the time that I did this but forgot.

redspeed, just wanted to say thanks for a great right up. just finished up and it was really easy following your step by step. i went with the old solder gun myself.
much thanks to ya!!!

Thx for the tip - but really shouldn't be using t-taps in the engine bay. They don't hold up all that well to moisture over time. Better to do a more permanent splice and then seal up with tape and heat shrink wrap. Over time moisture will get into the t-tap connector causing corrosion and eventually a non-working connection. T-taps are fine for inside the cabin - just not made for the more exposed environments of the car...

I agree on the T-taps. But all I had at the time, couldnt get my solder gun to work right to solder the splice. Do plan on removing the t-taps at a later date.

Just completed this on my car and and the wife's car. I didn't need any extra wire, if you cut the green one farther down it will reach the green/black one.
Great writeup, saved me the trouble of testing/finding the right wires. This was the first mod I did on my Probe GT when I got it and I knew it was only a matter of time before I did it on the Speed6.

Last edited:
After doing this are you still able to control the fogs with the switch inside?
Or will they come on anytime the parking lights are on.

Also do they stay on the high beams are turned on.

Latest posts

Back