Lost of Power

Mikeywood

:
2001 Mazda Protege MP3
Hi guys, I am new to the forums. I just bought a 2001 Mazda MP3 YELLOW (160k miles) runs and drives great BUT very slow. It does not feel like 140hp at all. Any suggestion?

well at the wheels you are gonna see around 110-120...not the full power....these car handle like gems, but they are not fast stock by any means. find a nice winding road and enjoy the car

Ya the MP3's (and stock MSP's for that matter) were slugs. Take it on some twisties!

well at the wheels you are gonna see around 110-120...not the full power....these car handle like gems, but they are not fast stock by any means. find a nice winding road and enjoy the car
Try 100...

ya, the mp3 ecu net's you 10 additional ponies...p5 is 90 to the wheels

pnp the intake mani, either an sri or cai, light weight pulleys and flywheel to free up some power

beyond that....go turbo

oh yeah get a new exaust mani like the obx one that eliminates the first cat and get a better exaust

run a compression test. and see if the motor is gona blow in about 6 months. My p5 became super sluggish after 170k kilometeres. No low end torque. Blew the motor after 6 months.

It's not that slow! (I Hope) Just trying to get it a little faster, also how many miles to a tank dose everyone get? Me I am at 220 miles when gas light comes on.

run a compression test. and see if the motor is gona blow in about 6 months. My p5 became super sluggish after 170k kilometeres. No low end torque. Blew the motor after 6 months.

It's not that slow! (I Hope) Just trying to get it a little faster, also how many miles to a tank dose everyone get? Me I am at 220 miles when gas light comes on.

That's WAY too low...I'd go with Funky's suggestion as it sounds as though your car isn't doing too hot.

This is so wired... It runs perfect and idle's perfect as well...What the heck is going on... I tried a google search but nothing came up. What can I check next?

How is does the acceleration feel relative to another car you've driven latley?

This is so wired... It runs perfect and idle's perfect as well...What the heck is going on... I tried a google search but nothing came up. What can I check next?

ESP. In first and second the mp3's pulled pretty well. I'm with everyone else. Change the plugs do a compression test and see what'd up

speedometer/ odometer work ok? if it drives great then you should get around 400 mi. a tankful.

That did the trick... New plugs made a world of difference. Compression is good. One of the plug wires had a lot of resistance. THANK YOU GUYS! Oh yes gas mileage is great now. Again Thank You. If you guys need any thing, I work for a aftermarket gauge company.....

PLX Devices Inc.

PLX Devices Inc. is where I work. If you need anything just hit me up. I do a lot of testing for the company and I can use some input.

Back