New here, possible P5 purchase, question

poison

:
02 P5, manual
I'm looking at buying an 02 P5 with 66k on the clock. Looks very clean. I drove it yesterday, and then drove a different one (02 also) last night, which felt much better. The second one had the 'sport edition with sport package'. Is the suspension the same between them? If so, I suspect the first one needs struts.

I'm taking it to a AAA diagnostic center for a once over tomorrow, so hopefully they will do a good job, but from what I read here, struts and motor mounts seem to be a given at 66k.

If I need struts, it seems that Tokico blues are the preferred choice here. Are those compatible with stock springs, or will stock springs be over-damped? And I read that GR2's may be the OEM strut, but some say the GR2's feel softer than OEM. Que? :)

Thanks for input on my first post!

The suspensions are the same so you shouldn't be feeling a difference between them stock to stock. I drove a similar car during my search and passed on it. They wanted the price of a mint car.

I can't help you with the struts because I haven't delved that far into my P5 yet. I've only had it a couple months.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forums.

Ok, cool; I'll bet the struts on the first one are going>gone. Asking price is $7k, BTW.

Nice forum, happy to be here, thanks!

Thanks for the welcome, but I'm really not sure how I feel about that sparkly angel.

Lol!

Welcome! I bought my 02 three years ago with 67k and now have just shy of 114k still on OEM struts and motor mounts. I plan on changing the mounts this year and I'm still trying to convince the wife that lowering is a sound financial decision vs buying OEM.

Looks like I scored a deal! I had this checked out by a AAA place today, came up just fine, Carfax checks out, drives great, settled on $6500! Interior is pristine, exterior is about right for a clean 02: two very minor dings, a few scrapes, but overall VERY nice. Should be in hand next week!

Thanks for the help, guys!

good job and welcome to your new home....as far as i know the hp blues will work fine with stock springs....but if you plan on ever lowering it....just buy the whole kit and do things once.

is it auto or stick??
and def get new mounts....i'm over 100k and my pass side mm is gone and the others are about to die

and happy searching...there are tons of things to do with the car...not to mention how it drives

Just scored some new Kartboy shifter bushings! I'll replace them, then see if I really want a short shifter.

get the short shifter....i just put a twm in after having my car for the last 7 years. wish i would have done it sooner.

oh and congrasts on the purchase

james

Really? I did Kartboy Bushings in my Subaru, but held off on the shifter. I've never had one. It' that good, huh?

Damn! My wife isn't liking you right now... :D

And thanks, it's a fun car!

your wife will be happier cuz your happier. amazing feel to the shifter with the bushings installed with it. as ive heard it put before, you wont feel like your rowing a boat anymore.

Back