How to upgrade 08 bluetooth to 09?

bbslin

I think my 08 GT bluetooth does not have bluetooth audio feature in 09. Could I get bluetooth audio feature just by software upgrade or I need to upgrade the hardware as well? How can I get the upgrade?

I think my 08 GT bluetooth does not have bluetooth audio feature in 09. Could I get bluetooth audio feature just by software upgrade or I need to upgrade the hardware as well? How can I get the upgrade?

I would like to know this as well and also whether the latest non-nav bluetooth can access the cell phone contacts. I have the non-nav.

ZoomFive

I doubt that Mazda would go through so much trouble to let you update new profiles to support A2DP and AVRCP. I don't think anyone know a definitive answer yet (other then Mazda engineers).

However, I have used A2DP headset with my HTC Fuze phone.
To tell you the truth, which would you downgrade your music from CD quality to FM quality? Besides, A2DP consumes power 2X that of regular BT. You will find your cell phone running low in a matter of 1 hour.

I doubt that Mazda would go through so much trouble to let you update new profiles to support A2DP and AVRCP. I don't think anyone know a definitive answer yet (other then Mazda engineers).

However, I have used A2DP headset with my HTC Fuze phone.
To tell you the truth, which would you downgrade your music from CD quality to FM quality? Besides, A2DP consumes power 2X that of regular BT. You will find your cell phone running low in a matter of 1 hour.

For me, I would continue to use my aux jack for the ipod, but would really like to be able access the address book on my cell phone.

You would need a profile called PBAP (phonebook Access profile) to be able to access your phone book in your cell from Mazda display. Mazda has made NO annoucement that CX9 (even in 2010) will support that (AFAIK). CX9 support A2DP (advanced adusio distribution profile) in 2009 model w/ NAVI package, and will probably continue to do so. This just make it a bit easier to play music w/o using the aux jack. Sound quality-wise, it is actually less. BT bandwidth is very limited for music. For voice it is sufficient, for music, it needs two channels (L/R) to achieve stereo. I can look up the BT bandwidth for A2DP, but from my experiences the sound quality is on par with FM.

In my 09 GT w/Nav, I transferred my wife's phonebook to the car via BT when I first set up the phone. It does not maintain sync with the phone after that, but did the job in getting the entries loaded. She has a LG ENV2.

I also occasionally use the BT audio from either my Blackberry Curve or the LG ENV2. I directly compared the sound between the aux jack and the BT inputs. In my non-expert opinion, I think the sound is better than FM, and on-par with a direct connection to the aux jack.

Most automobile Bluetooth suports FTP (file transfer profile). Therefore, you could transfer your phone contacts to the vehicles (except for from early examples).

A2DP has a limited bandwidth thru ACL channels. The channel is wider than BT audio, which is mainly for human voice. However, it is not wide enough for wide bandwidth music w/o compression. Popular SBC codec is not advanced enough to compete against CD quality. However, recent development such as the apt-X (etc.) that enables higher fidelity. Any compression/decompression introduce artifects in music or video. The same goes for D/A and A/D conversion (in case of aux-input).
So, it depends on each application to say fairly which is better
A2DP or aux-jack. The latter is pretty standard and matured. The former depends on the implementation.

For music, it seems a lot easier to just plug your player into the jack, especially an iPod, which is better quality than mp3.

We plug our shuffle in and have 20 cd's worth of non stop music.

In my 09 GT w/Nav, I transferred my wife's phonebook to the car via BT when I first set up the phone. It does not maintain sync with the phone after that, but did the job in getting the entries loaded. She has a LG ENV2.

I also occasionally use the BT audio from either my Blackberry Curve or the LG ENV2. I directly compared the sound between the aux jack and the BT inputs. In my non-expert opinion, I think the sound is better than FM, and on-par with a direct connection to the aux jack.

I'm not certain that my 08 GT w/o NAV can transfer the phonebook. I'll double check, but I did not see any notes on doing this.

Here I quote a guy who seems to know better than I do....

"As for quality A2DP equipment is available with a range of audio quality capabilities. A2DP offers some sampling rates that are below CD quality (16khz and 32KHz) along with a CD quality sampling rate (44.1 KHz) and one that is slightly above CD quality (48KHz) in 16-bit stereo. While you may have had experience with lower quality A2DP devices, those devices are not representational of the limits of A2DP quality."

22KHz is considered to be the upper limit for a good music quality range. 44KHz sampling (2X sampling) to limit distortion (bare minimum) in sampling/reconstructing cycling. There will be distortion at high-end when sampling rate is 2X lower than your max frequency response. Therefore, as I said, it all depends on the individual implementation of A2DP (the sender, not the receiver/Mazda).

I got a 2008 CX-9 GT with Nav, is it possible to transfer my blackberry 8310 enterprise phonebook to my CX-9?

ab040501,
I think the answer is NO for 2007 and 2008 models.
You have to enter the contact thru voice one by one.
I got tired after one (my home). hahahaha....
Find a quiet place (such as in your garage at night) to enter them through voice.
Turn ignition to ON w/o engine running.

Last edited:

How do you get the BT audio to work? I don't see an option for that in the manual or hear one when in the BT menu.....

Mazda is unlikely to revisit 2008 models and give you a way to upgrade.
The answer is no. Use voice to enter, or dial contacts through your cell phone.

Back