Honda crx ELECTRICAL ISSUES!!!

AWDRACER6

:
Mazdaspeed 6
1990 Honda Crx SI

Ok so my rex is having issues... I have a volt gauge in my car and as i was driving yesterday it dropped from 14volts to 12 then 10... So on the way home from work I was watching it because it was slowly dropping.. So i turned the turn signal on and the damn RPM needle started to drop to zero then back up to 3,xxx with the turn signal flash.. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON!? I put a new alternator in it last week because it was at 12 and then 18 and then my car started to sound like it would die cause the idle would drop so low. Then it ran great for the last week.. now its doin this crazy stuff. If i hit the brake it does this too... i installed subs and an amp in it a couple weeks ago (with a capacitor) and it when the stereo is on the lights and dash light will all flash with the music... I would say alternator but i had them check it before i bought it. Any ideas??? Thanks everyone!!!

Ok so here goes.... PLEASE HELP!!! Oh ok..

So i have a 1990 crx si. The alternator went out on it cause my volt guage in my dash was going from 10volts to 18.1 volts. Not good right. K so i replaced it and was sittin pretty at 14 for the next week. Then as im driving home it slowly drops from 14 then down and down tell it gets to about 8 (lowest guage goes). then as im driving my rpm guage drops to zero and my radio turns off then on.... Wierd right. So i changed the alternator again and had it checked. It was trashed too. Funny thing is when i bought that alternator i had them check it before i bought it. It was good! So i put the 3rd alternator on and drove down the road and everything is great right... wrong! So i turn the lights on bright and turn my flashers on and turn the radio on... now im down to 12 volts... WHAT THE CRAP!?!?!?!?!?! Both the 2nd and 3rd alternators were checked good before i put them on... but there not working. I replaced the positive cable and the negative. So what can it be?? What actually burns up an alternator? My cables are all tight and yes my battery is good. Its brand new and i took it in and had that tested also. PLEASE HELP!

Last edited:
sounds like the alt....its not providing a large enough charge so youre draining your battery.

Ok so i had them check my old alt and under a load it had .04 volts.. NOT GOOD! Without a load it was 18.54 volts, NOT GOOD.. So i know it was a bad alternator. But now the one on there now was good then went to s***... what burns up an alternator?? If my battery cable (positive) is loose can that fry the ALT??

Have you checkt ground cable from battery to chasis and motor?

And it should be 1 wire from battery to allt and 1 plug with 2 wires
1 wire is ign(check if that wire feeds + when ignition is on.) and the other should be to turn on batt light in dash.

PLEASE HELP! I edited and added the 2nd paragraph... PLEASE my rex is sittin in the drive way and i cant drive it!

Back