TMIC removal for spark plug replacement...HELP?

gooniac33

:
Mazda, Mazdaspeed6 Grand Touring
I got the one step colder plugs but wanted to know if anyone has done the change yet. And if so how hard is it to get the TMIC off? I don't want to mess anything up. Is there a DIY thread of taking this thing off?

Very simple, pull the shroud(2 10mm bolts), unscrew the worm clamps on both sides of the IC, and I believe your free. There might be 3 mounting bolts on the IC as well. Takes 15 min or less.

Very simple, pull the shroud(2 10mm bolts), unscrew the worm clamps on both sides of the IC, and I believe your free. There might be 3 mounting bolts on the IC as well. Takes 15 min or less.

I am assuming you have done this yourself already? No vacuum hoses or anything of that sort is there?

I am assuming you have done this yourself already? No vacuum hoses or anything of that sort is there?

Yes, I've done it myself without a how-to. Everything is straight forward and you should have easy access to all screws/bolts. Go pop your hood and see how far you can get, you should have no trouble at all.

its about a 5min job, don't forget to either take the bypass valve off or disconnect the hoses.

thanx a lot for the help guys! This isn't like my hondas of the past! a lot more under the hood! But from what I can tell much less maintenance involved. I will give an update and may even take a few pix for a DIY. Thanx!

Yes, I've done it myself without a how-to. Everything is straight forward and you should have easy access to all screws/bolts. Go pop your hood and see how far you can get, you should have no trouble at all.

Also I got the NGK Iridium plugs that are one step colder. Should I gap these plugs? And if so what is the gap?

i hate the ngk's for one because they come pre-gapped at like .41 our stock gap is like .28-.32. and you should gap plugs more than .1. denso's FTW, pre-gapped to .28.

Yeah, I heard the max +- gap was .08 on any plug...Denso comes in real close, but NGK doesn't. ITV-22s FTW!

well I checked them and they were what they needed to be. And the guy at Protoge Garage said they were pre gapped. The car ran beautifully after they were installed! TMIC took a little more than 15 mins to get off simply because of the hoses. But it was a trouble free install. the old plugs needed to be changed! The car is much better with the one step colder plugs. It pulls harder and more linear than before. Very happy with it and thanx for the help....

I will go with the Denso's next time....

Back