Really would like ADVICE ON MAZDA EXTENDED WARRANTY

:
06 LS MS6
07 BM GT (shell has been struck from the roll)
I am getting close to crunch time and I was really hoping to hear some informed opinions considering how large the membership base is here.

I am interested in a MEPP mazda factory warranty which covers the same as the bumper to bumper
this would be the same as the 'easy care' and is administered by ford
I wondered how well the stated care plan covers, or if total care is needed to cover all the electrical parts.

also how well are the dealers honoring the warranty

THANKS EVERYONE

dealers suck at honoring warranty if you mod the car. i would say NO if you plan on modding. i would say YES if you don't plan on modding

I would say yes if you plan on modding but not hardcore. Everything I have done is easily reversable. I got the 6yr 75k extended plan and it covers bumper to bumper and if I break something like the clutch, it will get replaced. Ofcourse they are always going to have to determine if it was neglect or racing. I say worth it if your not modding or light modding.

how much does this warranty run by the way? I'm looking at getting a new 08.5 or 09 ms3 within the next couple of months.

Extended warranties are usually a net loser for the customer. The company offering the warranty (not the manufacturer) calculates what is going to go wrong during the life of the warranty and then adds a hefty profit on top of it. In most cases, most of the time, you will do better by saving the money you'd be paying for a warranty and using that to pay for repairs when you have a problem.

The only time that the extended warranty is a winner is if 1) you get unlucky (and they don't deny your coverage on some flimsy pretext) or 2) the car turns out to be much less reliable than expected. Then you win on the warranty but you're still losing over all.

i cancelled mine and got back a prorate after a year. i lost 312 dollars in one year wtf. i am mod crazy and must do what i must so that refund bought me parts lol.

I think the OP has already decided he would like the peace of mind of an extended warranty. He's hoping that someone here has the Mazda plan, has actually had to use it, and can comment on their experience.

If I recall from other threads, the OP is not planning to go bat-s*** crazy with mods, so this thread doesn't need to be about that.

I think the OP has already decided he would like the peace of mind of an extended warranty. He's hoping that someone here has the Mazda plan, has actually had to use it, and can comment on their experience.

If I recall from other threads, the OP is not planning to go bat-s*** crazy with mods, so this thread doesn't need to be about that.

I actually like extended warranty programs if they are good ones. The main reason people tend not to have liked them recently is times were good and lots of people were trading in cars early. Now that times are tough, I think more folks will be keeping their cars longer and buying used ones too.

Re: Mazda, my inlaws used the extended warranty twice so far on their MPV. My wife and I bought it new and sold it to them after only about 30k miles. at 70k they had the coil packs replaced and at 75k Mazda covered an issue with their power doors. The coil pack issue was like $400 at the dealer and the power doors over $1k.

Many of my Grand Prix friends have had GM Transmissions and power steering racks replaced. On my Chevy Trailblazer I had the 4wd transfer case replaced and the clutch to the cooling system fan done under extended coverage too. Both only cost me $100 deductable which was far less than the repairs.

Your call really. I usually wait until closer to the 3yr mark to pull the trigger on extended plans like this as the factory warranty is good for now and I wait to see if I"m going to keep the car.

Any gripes over modifications are stupid IMO. If anyone mods the car, then they should not expect the dealer to cover the parts related to failure. They also should expect there to be a debate or discussion when it comes to what caused the failure. The subject can be debated all day long, but in the end, warranties are not for modified cars. Now if you want to play, expect to pay if they don't cover things.

^^^i agree with him. I bought my car back in 05 with 36k miles on it, and 6 year 60k mile warranty. I only bought it because I knew around 60k miles things start to go. What I didn't know was the car that I bought, has had several known issues back when it came out. I lucked out fairly well with the car considering I haven't had any serious known problems that tend to happen with my car, but I've had more than enough enough repairs to pay more than double of what I've paid for the warrant, such as 4 fuel pumps($500 a piece), new a/c heater unit($1400+), steering column($1500), steering pump($525), cv boots($520ish), sunroof motor($1300), flywheel($300), precat failure(not sure on the price), a rental for every time the car went in(have no clue how much) and some other small things that I'm forgetting about. I say it was more than worth it, and I think the ms3 will probably have similar problems after about 50-60k miles. If your keeping the car past 50k miles, then I say it's worth it because you know something will fail around that time. Also, my deductable was $50 if I didn't take it to rick case, but I took it there every time and didn't pay for anything.

Last edited:
+1 on GOOD extended warranty's. If you are going to keep the car past the powertrain warranty then I say its a good investment if your are indeed not modding or planning on light mods.

^^^i agree with him. I bought my car back in 05 with 36k miles on it, and 6 year 60k mile warranty. I only bought it because I knew around 60k miles things start to go. What I didn't know was the car that I bought, has had several known issues back when it came out. I lucked out fairly well with the car considering I haven't had any serious known problems that tend to happen with my car, but I've had more than enough enough repairs to pay more than double of what I've paid for the warrant, such as 4 fuel pumps($500 a piece), new a/c heater unit($1400+), steering column($1500), steering pump($525), cv boots($520ish), sunroof motor($1300), flywheel($300), precat failure(not sure on the price), a rental for every time the car went in(have no clue how much) and some other small things that I'm forgetting about. I say it was more than worth it, and I think the ms3 will probably have similar problems after about 50-60k miles. If your keeping the car past 50k miles, then I say it's worth it because you know something will fail around that time. Also, my deductable was $50 if I didn't take it to rick case, but I took it there every time and didn't pay for anything.

holy sh1t thats a lot of problems...

I would say yes if you plan on modding but not hardcore. Everything I have done is easily reversable. I got the 6yr 75k extended plan and it covers bumper to bumper and if I break something like the clutch, it will get replaced. Ofcourse they are always going to have to determine if it was neglect or racing. I say worth it if your not modding or light modding.

since when did warranties cover wear items?

for what it's worth, I went 10yr 100K stated care. Something about a fairly high strung (120hp/L) motor shoehorned in there made me want the added piece of mind

That's a lemon is what it is.
^^ and a lot of problems.

I don't plan on modding...if I have problems, will just mod it up!
as long as my motor doesn't drop.

I believe what the thread creater is talking about is the MPP Extended Warranty. This is seperate from the Mazda Warranty.

It does cover wear and tear on most parts of the car. I have it on my MS3 however, I am going to cancel it.
Warranty will be voided if you race it, put any aftermarket parts on it, neglegance, etc. You get the hint. I read the fine print. I went to the dealer and asked them if purchasing official Mazdaspeed parts (I.E. The mazdaspeed CAI and Cat-Back exhaust would work with the warranty, they said yes with the Mazda warranty but are unsure with the MPP extended warranty since it's a seperate company)

I want an intake, exhaust and turbo timer, BPV and engine mounts for now and if these guys want to void my warranty for helping the car run better then screw them.

It does cover wear and tear on most parts of the car.

I'm still failing to find this in the contract - please point me in the right direction. I see where the flywheel is covered and internal lubricated parts, but nothing about a clutch.

I went to the dealer and asked them if purchasing official Mazdaspeed parts (I.E. The mazdaspeed CAI and Cat-Back exhaust would work with the warranty, they said yes with the Mazda warranty but are unsure with the MPP extended warranty since it's a seperate company)

I want an intake, exhaust and turbo timer, BPV and engine mounts for now and if these guys want to void my warranty for helping the car run better then screw them.

From Section E "What is not covered"
"Arising out of the failure of an otherwise covered part whose failure has be determined by the administrator to be affected by modifications and/or alterations to the vehicle that does not meet Mazda's specifications, and have not been approved by Mazda's authorized representative."

Would seem to me that the mazdaspeed accessories should meet those conditions. I only bring this up because I'm in the same position as you as far as mod wish list (cept for the TT)

I'm still failing to find this in the contract - please point me in the right direction. I see where the flywheel is covered and internal lubricated parts, but nothing about a clutch.

From Section E "What is not covered"
"Arising out of the failure of an otherwise covered part whose failure has be determined by the administrator to be affected by modifications and/or alterations to the vehicle that does not meet Mazda's specifications, and have not been approved by Mazda's authorized representative."

Would seem to me that the mazdaspeed accessories should meet those conditions. I only bring this up because I'm in the same position as you as far as mod wish list (cept for the TT)

It's called the "Execu-Care Mechanical Protection Plan" aka MPP for short.
www.mppcoverage.com for more details.

It's an extended warranty plan offered by many dealerships of all brands. My gf bought a corolla not to long ago and has the MPP warranty on it.

There are such things as good extended warranties, but for every good one, there is 10 or so bad ones.

Some quick notes (from someone who has been screwed by EWS [extended warranty scams]).

Always, ALWAYS read the fine print. Don't get the extended warranty at the dealership. Leave and check prices online first. Shop around! Many people spend 3-4x as much for a 10/100 warranty at the dealership then they would have if they just looked online!

Some scary things about extended warranty fine prints...

Extended Warranties are 3rd Party Company's, and are never directly associated with a parent company. (Always another company working with either the dealership, or manufacturer).

This means a few things.

1) The extended warranty does not fall under the Magg-moss act. This means that any non factory part can be blamed for failure WITHOUT proof.

2) Because you are dealing with a 3rd party company....
a) All claims are handled by that company and
b) If the company declares bankruptcy (see economy), you're SOL.

3) Some EWS's will not cover the cost of a manufacturer part, but a "generic" replacement part. In the case of some wear items, this can mean the cheapest possible brake pads, or the smallest battery available.

4) EWS's start the second you buy them. If you happen to sign up for a 10 yr/100k warranty when you buy the car, then trade it in a year later, you're going to be screwed out of 300 or so bucks.

5) Some EWS's do not cover full labor charges, or may not cover misc shop equipment charges.

All if this is just a read the fine print post...you really need to read it. I'm serious, read the s*** outta it.

There are such things as good extended warranties, but for every good one, there is 10 or so bad ones.

Some quick notes (from someone who has been screwed by EWS [extended warranty scams]).

Always, ALWAYS read the fine print. Don't get the extended warranty at the dealership. Leave and check prices online first. Shop around! Many people spend 3-4x as much for a 10/100 warranty at the dealership then they would have if they just looked online!

Some scary things about extended warranty fine prints...

Extended Warranties are 3rd Party Company's, and are never directly associated with a parent company. (Always another company working with either the dealership, or manufacturer).

This means a few things.

1) The extended warranty does not fall under the Magg-moss act. This means that any non factory part can be blamed for failure WITHOUT proof.

2) Because you are dealing with a 3rd party company....
a) All claims are handled by that company and
b) If the company declares bankruptcy (see economy), you're SOL.

3) Some EWS's will not cover the cost of a manufacturer part, but a "generic" replacement part. In the case of some wear items, this can mean the cheapest possible brake pads, or the smallest battery available.

4) EWS's start the second you buy them. If you happen to sign up for a 10 yr/100k warranty when you buy the car, then trade it in a year later, you're going to be screwed out of 300 or so bucks.

5) Some EWS's do not cover full labor charges, or may not cover misc shop equipment charges.

All if this is just a read the fine print post...you really need to read it. I'm serious, read the s*** outta it.

Great post.
I read mine brought it to the dealer and spoke with the finance associate myself and decided that its just better to cancel mine.

Most of the time it simply comes down to this:
If you plan on modifying your vehicle do not waste the extra money on an extended warranty. If you have an exhaust and your brakes fail the company will blame the exhaust for the brake failure even though they have nothing to do with one another. (that's just an example)

Remember dealers are out there to make money. They are not going to want to lose money by repairing your vehicle free of charge every time. They look to screw you any way possible.
Now if you plan on staying stock for a long period of time then it COULD possibly be a good investment.
But as Crossbow said, READ THE FINE PRINT. DETAILS DETAILS DETAILS.
You are investing quiet an amount of money and last thing you want is to take their word for it and hand them +/- $1,000 just to find out they were lying to you (that includes masking the truth)

Back