Review: KYB GR-2/Excel-G Shocks/Struts

B16RacerN2NR

:
2006 Mazda 5
I just put some KYB GR-2/Excel-G shocks and struts on my 5. My 5 has 62K miles and the shocks and struts were pretty much blown about 10K miles ago. The front passenger was the only one leaking fluid but the entire ride was rough so I knew they all had to get swapped out.

If you're looking for a big improvement over OEM, these KYB's aren't what you want. IMO, these KYB's are pretty close to the OEM feel, in terms of ride quality. They are slightly better than OEM at best, IMO of course. However, they also cost a lot less then most, if not all, the shocks/struts available for the 5. So as far as cost to performance ratio goes, these KYB's get my vote :)

KYB Part#'s

334701- Front Drivers Side Strut (Excel-G)
334700- Front Passenger Side Strut (Excel-G)
343412- Rear Driver Side and Passenger Side Shock (GR-2)

I got mine from http://rockauto.com/ for $301 shipped to my door.

According to KYB's website, the Excel-G and GR-2's are the same thing. Why they are called different models is beyond me. My guess is their struts are under the Excel-G name and the shocks are under the GR-2 name but I really don't know lol.

Thanks for the review.
Regarding the names, it is my understanding that KYB is slowing consolidating on Excel-G for that line around the world, but till then, many will carry the GR-2 name, especially in the United States.

Thanks for the review.
Regarding the names, it is my understanding that KYB is slowing consolidating on Excel-G for that line around the world, but till then, many will carry the GR-2 name, especially in the United States.
Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

I just want to be sure I understand you correctly...I assume you mean that they are just a little better than OEM when OEM stuff was new, not just a little better than the old parts you took off, right?

I just want to be sure I understand you correctly...I assume you mean that they are just a little better than OEM when OEM stuff was new, not just a little better than the old parts you took off, right?
Lol, yeah. When it was new. If these new KYB's felt like the 4 blown shocks I pulled off i'd shoot myself lol.

I also looked into getting aftermarket struts and shocks, problem is they are NONE! KYB is about the only company that makes struts and shocks for our MZ5s, unfortunately they feel just like OEM because they use the same oil based (hydraulic) technology. I would have loved a set of Tokico or Bilstein Gas shocks but not available and very expensive if ever. I settled for a free set all around compliments of Mazda warranty...LOL!

Back