Medival Rear Motor Mount - Center bolts came loose

Sport6

:
2009 Subaru WRX Sedan
I purchased the mount in the GB in November. It has been on ever since. On my trip to Boston last night I noticed the car vibrated a lot more, well it made a lot more noise. It wouldn't really make any noise while driving, but really made a racket at idle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmNmlHJ7O3g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfgHq_qXJlM
^I thought you were able to embed youtube videos?^

I know, I know, I just said that I have had no problems with their mount when the Vendors were having a little scrum. But of course the next day I notice these problems.

Well I really knew something was wrong and it was getting worse, though I wanted to make sure I wasn't just going crazy. So I first retorqued both sides, still the same, slowly getting worse. Then I thought it would be a good idea to completely retorque the bolts by loosening them completely and retorqueing them. This is when I noticed the problem.

Showing where it came loose.

So if you have the mount and have an different noises, take a look. I think I was only a few days away from it actually breaking.

I am going to contact Darkstar but I don't want a replacement on this thing. Its not a very good design....

Edit: This isn't a smear thread on Medieval or Darkstar - Just a thread to let people know about it.

Last edited:
Zach I'm sorry man. The good news is something real bad wasn't wrong with your car. You told me you're putting the stocker back on? I kinda miss no vibes too! I'm glad you were able to get things straightened out. Time for those bushings now what do you say!?

I purchased the mount in the GB in November. It has been on ever since. On my trip to Boston last night I noticed the car vibrated a lot more, well it made a lot more noise. It wouldn't really make any noise while driving, but really made a racket at idle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmNmlHJ7O3g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfgHq_qXJlM
^I thought you were able to embed youtube videos?^

I know, I know, I just said that I have had no problems with their mount when the Vendors were having a little scrum. But of course the next day I notice these problems.

Well I really knew something was wrong and it was getting worse, though I wanted to make sure I wasn't just going crazy. So I first retorqued both sides, still the same, slowly getting worse. Then I thought it would be a good idea to completely retorque the bolts by loosening them completely and retorqueing them. This is when I noticed the problem.

Showing where it came loose.

So if you have the mount and have an different noises, take a look. I think I was only a few days away from it actually breaking.

I am going to contact Darkstar but I don't want a replacement on this thing. Its not a very good design....

Last edited:
Zach I'm sorry man.

Its okay, I am just glad I didn't let the noise slide like it wasn't a big deal. I know that isn't a wait bearing but if the mount completely failed it would be alot of stress on the others..

Thanks Tim for all your help and letting me know I am not just going crazy and getting used to the noises.

Its either the TRZ or just the corksport inserts for me.

Edit: Ya the stock mount is back on and it's actually super nice not to have any vibs..

No problem just responded to your email! The TRZ is solid construction and very good price. They've made mounts for track cars. Lots of happy customers. I've had mine on since mid-July/August I think. Its been to the track a few times. I visually inspected tonight while doing the oil but I plan on checking the torque and bushings more closely this weekend. Let me know and we can meet up if u wanna check out the vibes in the car sometime soon!

Its okay, I am just glad I didn't let the noise slide like it wasn't a big deal. I know that isn't a wait bearing but if the mount completely failed it would be alot of stress on the others..

Thanks Tim for all your help and letting me know I am not just going crazy and getting used to the noises.

Its either the TRZ or just the corksport inserts for me.

Edit: Ya the stock mount is back on and it's actually super nice not to have any vibs..

I've been hearing a popping noise under harder acceleration and deceleration, could these be signs that my Medieval mount is also going bad?

I've been hearing a popping noise under harder acceleration and deceleration, could these be signs that my Medieval mount is also going bad?

Not too sure, but I would definitely check it out.. Its easy enough to loosen up and see if the sections are loose from each other, its worth the backache to not have something worse happen.

Got word back from Darkstar, says that I should undo the two pieces entirely and loctite the two bolts. I am pretty sure I don't want to have this type of design in my car anymore.

My exact thoughts, It didn't look like it was broken, just the two pieces coming loose. But this isn't something I want to worry or mess with, its coming off as soon as I can decide what other mount to get.

If I get another mount, its either just the inserts of the TRZ since I have heard nothing but good things about it, and its a single piece so none of these headaches.

Probably going to be the TRZ w/ poly for me - has nothing but good reviews, and lots of them.

Just a heads up to people with the mount; The bolts that backed out on my mount did not come loctited. Just got the word from Darkstar.

Keep an ear/eye on your mounts.

I don't think even if I wanted to try to fix the thing I could, the bolts are rather rusted.

It’s not broken, the bolts are just loose. Take them out, put some lock tight on them and tight them back down. I had to do this to mine about 2 months ago when I would here a weird clunk. Haven’t had any problems since. Not a big deal. I emailed Medieval about my worries about it coming loose again and they told me with lock tite it will not come loose, but if I was to nervous about it, they would switch me out for their new dog bone mount for free.

Broken or not broken, it makes no difference to me. I shouldn't have to worry/check up on my mount regularly in case the bolts decided to start coming out.

i agree with taylorex. sometimes you need to do regular check ups on parts whether stock or not. my stock turbo inlet pipe was about to fall off the f-in turbo inlet. i had to retighten it and it still comes loose now and again. a little licktight and your done. i dont see the big deal. you ahve to change your oil right? next time you do that pull the bolts out...ad some lock tight...and put them back in. DONE.
the design of a mount would be better if it were 1 piece due to fact you only have to worry about the actual bolts that hold the motor. but im sure they did a good deal of testing on this product to meet their design/quality/performance standards where a two piece was more beneficial to them than a standard 1 piece mount. give them a break. its not a faulty part. if you want to swap my awr 1 piece mount with 20,000 miles on it for yours ill gladly do so. PM me if you want.

throw some loctite on there and put it back in, your thread title is not true. Giving there company some unwanted attention as well.

I tried changing the thread to reflect it wasn't actually broken, but it doesn't change unless you are inside the tread..

I talked with Medieval and he said a few made it out without loctite by accident, and he will replace it if need be.

The thread was more for people knowing that it can happen with a 2 piece design and what it sounds like when it happens.

So if the mods want to actually change the thread title then that would be great.

I tried changing the thread to reflect it wasn't actually broken, but it doesn't change unless you are inside the tread..

I talked with Medieval and he said a few made it out without loctite by accident, and he will replace it if need be.

The thread was more for people knowing that it can happen with a 2 piece design and what it sounds like when it happens.

So if the mods want to actually change the thread title then that would be great.

done (thumb)

Back