Roof Rack For The Mazda5 Thread

Don't know. But I'm guessing the Mazda one connects to the door jams right?

The Mazda racks connect to 4 mounting points hidden in the plastic strips that run down both sides of the roof. There are 4 plastic tabs that cover them if you have no rack.

Got it. I wondered what those were.

Two questions:

1) how can those four plastic strips be removed? It looks like they should slide in the direction of the arrow, but I can't seem to get them to budge? Do they need to be pried off?

2) Does anyone (capermac, you there?) know how much height the 460R/RB47 bars will add to the car? 4 inches? six inches? I'm trying to determine if the box I can get will fit in my garage...

Thanks.

-EM

1) how can those four plastic strips be removed? It looks like they should slide in the direction of the arrow, but I can't seem to get them to budge? Do they need to be pried off?

Yes, gently press and slide in the direction of the arrow and eventually they come off. Now, don't press too hard, they are very fragile, I broke one when installing my racks.

Two questions:

2) Does anyone (capermac, you there?) know how much height the 460R/RB47 bars will add to the car? 4 inches? six inches? I'm trying to determine if the box I can get will fit in my garage...

Thanks.

-EM
ElfinMagic the 460R is 4 inches from the roof to the top of the bar on front and rear bars. Give or take an 1/8th of an inch.

I used a Flat tip Screwdriver with a cloth on the end to get the clips of. Gave a tap on the end of the screwdriver with my hand in the direction of the arrow. Came of no probs.

Hi Guys,

I just installed a Thule 460 to my Mazda 5. All went well....I think. I have few questions. How much can you tighten the screws that go to the roof? I went only to the point my fingers found it firm to keep going. I didn't use any hand pression on it as I read of another owner going to much and raising the strip off :(

Also, I tested the lateral strenght by pulling and pushing and it felt ok. But when I do the ssame from front to back there is a little bit of a give. Not much. Did someone experienced something like that???

Cheers,

Javier

Hi Guys,

I just installed a Thule 460 to my Mazda 5. All went well....I think. I have few questions. How much can you tighten the screws that go to the roof? I went only to the point my fingers found it firm to keep going. I didn't use any hand pression on it as I read of another owner going to much and raising the strip off :(

Also, I tested the lateral strenght by pulling and pushing and it felt ok. But when I do the ssame from front to back there is a little bit of a give. Not much. Did someone experienced something like that???

Cheers,

Javier

I tighten them finger tight.....about as much pressure as if I'm turning a bottle cap. The way I see it is that all the weight on the racks will be vertically downward, so a little sideways give should not be a problem. I use my rack for bikes, skis and a cargo box and never had any problems.
Anthony

Thanks for the reply Anthony. That's re-assuring. I'll tighten it a bit more and leave it. Have a great summer. I'm off to play with my car. :D

Javier

On a related note - does anyone know which model & size the Mazda Cargo boxes are when x-ref'd to Thule? are they all the same model - just S, M & Lg?

Well, taking the plunge and ordering the Thule parts to assemble the rack myself. Also, tried Craigslist and www.rackattack.com to find cargo carriers, but REI had a pretty good price on a Cascade XL box. Looking forward to seeing how this all goes together! :cool:

Also, tried Craigslist and www.rackattack.com to find cargo carriers, but REI had a pretty good price on a Cascade XL box.

(2thumbs)

The cascade XL 1500 is the one I have, it is cavernous but still very good aerodynamics...

mazda5_may_11_2008%20002.jpg

mazda5_may_11_2008%20003.jpg

(2thumbs)

The cascade XL 1500 is the one I have, it is cavernous but still very good aerodynamics...

Thanks for posting the pics! Gives me a better idea for how the 17 cu. ft. box will fit as it looks like you didn't have much problem with it interferring with the antenna in the back or overhanging in the front (alright)

It is hard to tell from your photos, does the Cascade XT 1500 allow enough room either side to mount bikes? Is it as wide as the roof, or as wide as the factory racks?

yowza! too wide methinks,,, I guess I'm looking at something a little more slender.

As a side note - anyone who's considering a rack using Thule Aero bars may want to re-think things if they're planning on carrying a canoe, Thule sells canoe brackets for square bars - but not the Aero bars.

Swede's,, can't trust 'em.

Yes, no problems so far and arrived on time. Free shipping (ground) as well if I remember.

I ordered one on June 24th and they didn't have stock at the time. I've been trying to call and email them to find out an update and they don't reply. I guess they don't have any in stock so expect to wait.

I wish they would reply back to me.

^^ Oooops, good to know. I may have been lucky then :(. They were in stock when I bought them though. Call them during business hours, US Central Time. They are also a dealership as you may know already (Mazda South in Austin TX)

http://www.mazdasouth.com/contact.php

Back