VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Roof Rack For The Mazda5 Thread

Look Mom, A Real Clutch! coolmazda5's Avatar
    Donated: $15

2008 Mazda5 5MT Sport w/ Popular Package

More pics...
    - 2008 Mazda5, 5MT Sport, Stormy Blue Mica, Popular Package, Aux Input, TPMS, The Thule Roof Rack Works, MAZDASPEED Shift Knob
    - Past: 2006 Mazda5, 5MT Sport, Carbon Gray, Popular Package, OEM Fog Lights

[How to Search & Post]

Quote Originally Posted by coolmazda5 View Post
    More pics...

Thanks for posting the pics man! Your roof box looks good on the Mazda. Too bad our big stroller wont fit in those. I'll look around for a nice basket. The one on the Mazda site doesnt look too good.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by pedro_mazda View Post
    Thanks for posting the pics man! Your roof box looks good on the Mazda. Too bad our big stroller wont fit in those. I'll look around for a nice basket. The one on the Mazda site doesnt look too good.

regards
    No probs,

Question, Do you need to take the large stroller with you when traveling? We have small one for long trips (I think it was like $20, babies-r-us). Not the most ergonomic or best quality, but it has an umbrella, a small sack for toys and bottles plus silly brakes for when taking public transport. It folds like in 10 seconds and fits anywhere. Good to go through airports and to ride around.

I ask because I think that if the stroller is very large there will be no cargo box that could fit one. Those late model huge-ass strollers are generally quite wide, so not even folded will make it...

Anyway, have fun!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

No probs,

Question, Do you need to take the large stroller with you when traveling? We have small one for long trips (I think it was like $20, babies-r-us). Not the most ergonomic or best quality, but it has an umbrella, a small sack for toys and bottles plus silly brakes for when taking public transport. It folds like in 10 seconds and fits anywhere. Good to go through airports and to ride around.

I ask because I think that if the stroller is very large there will be no cargo box that could fit one. Those late model huge-ass strollers are generally quite wide, so not even folded will make it...

Anyway, have fun!
    We bought this huge ass stroller for my 3 y/o son and the wife is scheduled for c-section for our second son this coming valentines day!

I know it wont fit with any of those cargo boxes so I'm thinking of buying the cargo basket like this one..

But I've seen one here in our area and I dont like how it looks
    Last edited by pedro_mazda; 02-02-2008 at 11:48 PM.

2006 MZ3 + MZ5

I broke one of the little plastic protection clips of the roof. They are so freakin' fragile . Anyone know where to get some new ones? Dealer?
    You can certainly get them from the dealer. onlinemazdaparts.com has them for $4.36 each.

$4.36? I will rent another one and swap them one of these days instead, LOL...

No, thanks for the link. I'll also check on the next service appointment, possibly they can squeeze some in for me as a thank you gift
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Pedro_Mazda: They do make cargo boxes that will fit big ass honkin strollers like that. The cargo box I got (Sportrack Explorer A90095) fits our Graco DuoGlider and a lot more.

As I previously mentioned, I had to "modify" (completely drill new holes) in the box to get it to fit the Mazda rack. If I had to do it again, I would probably buy Mazda's small box (see my previous post about price). Even though they call it small, it is the only one that has the height and length to fit a double stroller. Take a look at the dimensions.

Now, if you have a garage and want to drive around with the new toy, make sure you assemble it outside
    Good advice coolmazda5!

I installed the bars on ours in the garage last night, and swapped over the Thule Frontier box (11cuft) from the Volvo. Everything worked out fine, but then I realized that the 5 wouldn't get out of the garage with the box on!

The downside of this, of course, means that I will need to install the box (and pack it) when the 5 is on the driveway, and then unpack and uninstall it there as well

For snowboarding trips away I like to get the packing done the night before (and in the garage out of the elements) so that we can just take off in the morning.

I guess this means those days are over...

On the plus side, I didn't have to relocate the box brackets, which means that the box is interchangeable between both vehicles! The Volvo bars are 32" o/c and the Mazda are around 32.5" o/c

Quote Originally Posted by schokie View Post
    Pedro_Mazda: They do make cargo boxes that will fit big ass honkin strollers like that. The cargo box I got (Sportrack Explorer A90095) fits our Graco DuoGlider and a lot more.

As I previously mentioned, I had to "modify" (completely drill new holes) in the box to get it to fit the Mazda rack. If I had to do it again, I would probably buy Mazda's small box (see my previous post about price). Even though they call it small, it is the only one that has the height and length to fit a double stroller. Take a look at the dimensions.
    Well guys, I'll be damned . I read schokie's post (thanks schokie) and yes, my "huge-ass" stroller fits in the cargo box (see pictures). The stroller is a Graco Quattro Tour. It is pretty tight though. I had to push down a little to lock the box, so measure well before buying any box. Too tight up there is not very safe IMO.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyBhoy View Post
    Good advice coolmazda5!

I installed the bars on ours in the garage last night, and swapped over the Thule Frontier box (11cuft) from the Volvo. Everything worked out fine, but then I realized that the 5 wouldn't get out of the garage with the box on!

The downside of this, of course, means that I will need to install the box (and pack it) when the 5 is on the driveway, and then unpack and uninstall it there as well

For snowboarding trips away I like to get the packing done the night before (and in the garage out of the elements) so that we can just take off in the morning.

I guess this means those days are over...

On the plus side, I didn't have to relocate the box brackets, which means that the box is interchangeable between both vehicles! The Volvo bars are 32" o/c and the Mazda are around 32.5" o/c
    Volvo+Thule?... let me guess, the 1st trip is to IKEA?

Yup, I "had" the same issue so I thought it was worth mentioning. Clearance is about 1" short in my case , but at least good to know your box is interchangeable. What Volvo model is it? My mother-in-law drives a v40 in the old continent and we borrowed it last Summer. That is a sweet car. We fitted everything we needed, yet it was much tighter than the Mazda5. With 2+ kids would have turned really difficult to make it I guess.

What Volvo model is it? My mother-in-law drives a v40...
    It's a 2003 S40. Got it new, and it came with the Volvo (Thule) bars and Thule box.

The S40 is a great car, but we needed a 2nd car, and the 5 checked all the boxes.

I have found the Thule racks available for the Mazda3 & 3Sport will work, the threads on the bolts are the same as on the 5, and as they're adjustable for width they will match the width of the 5 without difficulty.

There are rubber feet on the racks which conform to the curve of the roof so there shouldn't be any issues there either. Most of the Thule racks are a lower profile than the 'Mazda' rack and they'll also allow for a wider bar for wider loads.
    2008 Mazda 5 GS (Canadian Eh!)
    -Sunlight Silver Metallic
    -Thule Rack

Quote Originally Posted by BOCjer View Post
    I have found the Thule racks available for the Mazda3 & 3Sport will work, the threads on the bolts are the same as on the 5, and as they're adjustable for width they will match the width of the 5 without difficulty.

There are rubber feet on the racks which conform to the curve of the roof so there shouldn't be any issues there either. Most of the Thule racks are a lower profile than the 'Mazda' rack and they'll also allow for a wider bar for wider loads.
    And where were you 4-5 weeks back when I got the OEM one? Just kidding , well, it seems to be a good option for the ones who have not bought one, it is always good to know...

And where were you 4-5 weeks back when I got the OEM one? Just kidding , well, it seems to be a good option for the ones who have not bought one, it is always good to know...
    i wasn't in a Mazda then, or on the forum, soory... I guess just to add insult to injury I should tell you I picked up a Thule off craigslist for CAD $150 - and picked it up locally so there was driving pleasure instead of freight charges! All I need now is a wind deflector to ride in quiet comfort..... when I put the racks on that is.

perhaps if I can figure it out I will post a photo.
    ~J~

Quote Originally Posted by BOCjer View Post
    i wasn't in a Mazda then, or on the forum, soory...

perhaps if I can figure it out I will post a photo.
    ~J~
    No probs and welcome! Here is how you can post pics if you want to host them in this forum server(s). I found it the other day and looks like the guy explained easily:
    http://www.mazdav.com/forum/showthread.php?p=94554

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast