Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Roof Rack For The Mazda5 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by antlind View Post
    That's a lot of money for those racks.....They're overpriced, check another dealer. And you can do the install yourself, it's very easy.
    Thanks for the tip! I'll try calling another dealer tomorrow. Do you know where I can see a picture of those roof racks?

Quote Originally Posted by fireman1867 View Post
    Hi, I ordered the 5 rack from Montgomery Mazda, great price and I got the free shipping!
    I got a quick response back from these guys, as I need a shipping fee to Canada.

The price was around $346US including shipping. By the time I add the exchange rate and duty at the border I figure it'll be nearer $380CDN (before GST/PST).

I have looked through e-bay Canada and craigslist for a Mazda parts supplier this side of the border that isn't a dealership, but no luck.

Time is pushing on, and I will need one in the next couple of weeks for a ski-trip that we have planned.

My local dealer has one, in stock, for $418CDN (before GST/PST and after customer discount) so I don't think that it's worth the hassle, or having to pray/hope/wait on delivery from the States, for $40

Not that I'm made of money you understand...

Good price from Montgomery for the US guys on the board though, especially with free shipping .

Oh, and pedro_mazda, you could probably install the rack by yourself, in the dark, with no instructions, whilst wearing oven mitts (FWIW, my dealer offered to install mine for $50)

Here is a photo of the rack:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyBhoy View Post
    I got a quick response back from these guys, as I need a shipping fee to Canada.

The price was around $346US including shipping. By the time I add the exchange rate and duty at the border I figure it'll be nearer $380CDN (before GST/PST).

I have looked through e-bay Canada and craigslist for a Mazda parts supplier this side of the border that isn't a dealership, but no luck.

Time is pushing on, and I will need one in the next couple of weeks for a ski-trip that we have planned.

My local dealer has one, in stock, for $418CDN (before GST/PST and after customer discount) so I don't think that it's worth the hassle, or having to pray/hope/wait on delivery from the States, for $40

Not that I'm made of money you understand...

Good price from Montgomery for the US guys on the board though, especially with free shipping .

Oh, and pedro_mazda, you could probably install the rack by yourself, in the dark, with no instructions, whilst wearing oven mitts (FWIW, my dealer offered to install mine for $50)

Thanks for roof rack photo! Is it really that tall in person? I was hoping to get one with low profile.

Registered Member

It is that tall in person to allow room for the sunroof to operate. I second Montgomery Mazda http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214264 as having good prices and free shipping in US. As others have said, don't pay for install-very easy to do.

2006 Mazda5 - GT

Another suggestion.....get yourself one of those wind deflectors for the roof-rack. As they are tall the wind noise is really something. I installed a Thule wind deflector ($75CAD) on my rack and the wind noise is totally gone.
    Anthony

2000 Protege LX Touring - H&Rs, 16" MIata wheels
    1997 Protege SE - H&Rs, 15" MSWs

Quote Originally Posted by schokie View Post
    It is that tall in person to allow room for the sunroof to operate. I second Montgomery Mazda http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214264 as having good prices and free shipping in US. As others have said, don't pay for install-very easy to do.
    I'm having a hard time finding the roof rack in the Montgomery Mazda website. I would appreciate if you can give me the link to the exact product.
    Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by pedro_mazda View Post
    I would appreciate if you can give me the link to the exact product.
    http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=5733

Thanks!! (boobs)

Look Mom, A Real Clutch! coolmazda5's Avatar
    Donated: $15

2008 Mazda5 5MT Sport w/ Popular Package

They look suspiciously the same as the Volvo racks that I have, and I'm sure that they were made by Thule.
    LOL, the rack just arrived. The box label reads:
    Mazda Genuine Accessories, made in Sweden. Thule No. 101185

I also got the Cargo Box from Thule (CascadeXT, 15cuft, 677xt). Winter discount and store pickup so no shipping

I have checked the instructions. Both seem to be very easy to install. I'll post pics when done (if successful, (hah))

MazdaStuff dot com for the rack (free shipping), Eastern Mountain Sports for the cargo box
    - 2008 Mazda5, 5MT Sport, Stormy Blue Mica, Popular Package, Aux Input, TPMS, The Thule Roof Rack Works, MAZDASPEED Shift Knob
    - Past: 2006 Mazda5, 5MT Sport, Carbon Gray, Popular Package, OEM Fog Lights

[How to Search & Post]

Quote Originally Posted by coolmazda5 View Post
    LOL, the rack just arrived. The box label reads:
    Mazda Genuine Accessories, made in Sweden. Thule No. 101185

I also got the Cargo Box from Thule (CascadeXT, 15cuft, 677xt). Winter discount and store pickup so no shipping

I have checked the instructions. Both seem to be very easy to install. I'll post pics when done (if successful, (hah))

MazdaStuff dot com for the rack (free shipping), Eastern Mountain Sports for the cargo box
    Looking forward to the pics ! My in-law is coming so I will be needing those also. Good luck on the install!

Registered Member

Watch out on the cargo boxes. I bought a Sportrack Explorer A90095 and had to "modify" the box to get it to fit on the rack. The pre-drilled holes were not at all in the correct places. If I could do it all over again, I would have bought one of the Thule boxes through Mazda.

http://accessories.mazdausa.com/weba...me=2007+MAZDA5

If you price out the part number on Montgomery Mazda, the prices are actually better than what you can get the box for at retail. For instance, the short Mazda box (which I'm pretty sure is a Thule Excursion) is only $207.20 at Montgomery Mazda. The same box retails for anywhere between $235-$300. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by schokie View Post
    Watch out on the cargo boxes. I bought a Sportrack Explorer A90095 and had to "modify" the box to get it to fit on the rack. The pre-drilled holes were not at all in the correct places. If I could do it all over again, I would have bought one of the Thule boxes through Mazda.

If you price out the part number on Montgomery Mazda, the prices are actually better than what you can get the box for at retail. For instance, the short Mazda box (which I'm pretty sure is a Thule Excursion) is only $207.20 at Montgomery Mazda. The same box retails for anywhere between $235-$300. Good luck!
    Thanks shockie. Somebody had MZ5 pics of both installed (same rack and box model) in another forum so no big thing. On another note, the Cascade XT has adjustable (Quick-Snap) drill holes so it can match different rack lengths. If I'm not mistaken this cargo box (and the smaller 1300) are the ones sold by Mazda (I saw the one from Mazda Mexico), but I agree, so one of the things why I did store pick-up is that, in case something goes wrong, I can go and get them . I won't have time until next week to test it out though . Price for the Cascade 677XT was not matched anywhere (~$338 with tax). There were actually some used ones in e-Bay but the shipping was ridiculous. Check this:

http://www.google.com/products?q=thule+cascade+1500

Looking forward to the pics ! My in-law is coming so I will be needing those also. Good luck on the install!
    Thanks. Let's see how it goes. Same thing here, in-laws are coming, but until May, yet Mrs. coolmazda5 has already some ideas for using it before that
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

We finally got our 2008 last week and I went with the mazda racks for the same reason you state above, it just wasn't worth the hassle getting something similar shipped up here for a few bucks less. After looking at the yakima and Thule options, which were in the same ballpark for price, I came full circle and went with the mazda ones. I haven't tested em' out for road noise yet, but I like the fact that they snap directly into the roof. I noticed they came with the little plastic wing shaped thingies (which were called wind jammers on my old yakimas) so I'm assuming that those things are meant to minimize the noise.

2006 Mazda5 - GT

Quote Originally Posted by barryWest View Post
    I noticed they came with the little plastic wing shaped thingies (which were called wind jammers on my old yakimas) so I'm assuming that those things are meant to minimize the noise.
    Noise and drag....even though I don't think they do a good job at either. You will need to get the roof deflector if you want to reduce these factors.
    Anthony
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Here you go, I finally got some time to play around with it. Now, if you have a garage and want to drive around with the new toy, make sure you assemble it outside

• OEM roof rack, part(s): CC43-V4-701G
    • Thule Cargo Box: CascadeXT, 15 cu. ft. capacity

Roof rack: ~30 minutes to install. I broke one of the little plastic protection clips of the roof. They are so freakin' fragile . Anyone know where to get some new ones? Dealer?

Thule Cargo Box: ~15 minutes to install, 2nd time can be 7-10 minutes (I hope )

Now I need to clean the damn thing. Windex the store guys said.

Several pictures, from pickup (the cargo box fits inside the car!), to toddler quality inspection and install (rack and box). So far it worked well. No load added yet. Sorry, they don't seem to be all in order though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by coolmazda5; 01-31-2008 at 10:30 PM.

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast