Roof Rack For The Mazda5 Thread

They look suspiciously the same as the Volvo racks that I have, and I'm sure that they were made by Thule.

LOL, the rack just arrived. The box label reads:
Mazda Genuine Accessories, made in Sweden. Thule No. 101185

I also got the Cargo Box from Thule (CascadeXT, 15cuft, 677xt). Winter discount and store pickup so no shipping :D

I have checked the instructions. Both seem to be very easy to install. I'll post pics when done (if successful, (hah))

MazdaStuff dot com for the rack (free shipping), Eastern Mountain Sports for the cargo box

LOL, the rack just arrived. The box label reads:
Mazda Genuine Accessories, made in Sweden. Thule No. 101185

I also got the Cargo Box from Thule (CascadeXT, 15cuft, 677xt). Winter discount and store pickup so no shipping :D

I have checked the instructions. Both seem to be very easy to install. I'll post pics when done (if successful, (hah))

MazdaStuff dot com for the rack (free shipping), Eastern Mountain Sports for the cargo box

Looking forward to the pics !:) My in-law is coming so I will be needing those also. Good luck on the install!

Watch out on the cargo boxes. I bought a Sportrack Explorer A90095 and had to "modify" the box to get it to fit on the rack. The pre-drilled holes were not at all in the correct places. If I could do it all over again, I would have bought one of the Thule boxes through Mazda.

http://accessories.mazdausa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=11601&storeId=10051&categoryId=30013&parent_category_rn=30002&yearSelected=2007&modelSelected=MZ5&modelName=2007+MAZDA5

If you price out the part number on Montgomery Mazda, the prices are actually better than what you can get the box for at retail. For instance, the short Mazda box (which I'm pretty sure is a Thule Excursion) is only $207.20 at Montgomery Mazda. The same box retails for anywhere between $235-$300. Good luck!

Watch out on the cargo boxes. I bought a Sportrack Explorer A90095 and had to "modify" the box to get it to fit on the rack. The pre-drilled holes were not at all in the correct places. If I could do it all over again, I would have bought one of the Thule boxes through Mazda.

If you price out the part number on Montgomery Mazda, the prices are actually better than what you can get the box for at retail. For instance, the short Mazda box (which I'm pretty sure is a Thule Excursion) is only $207.20 at Montgomery Mazda. The same box retails for anywhere between $235-$300. Good luck!

Thanks shockie. Somebody had MZ5 pics of both installed (same rack and box model) in another forum so no big thing. On another note, the Cascade XT has adjustable (Quick-Snap) drill holes so it can match different rack lengths. If I'm not mistaken this cargo box (and the smaller 1300) are the ones sold by Mazda (I saw the one from Mazda Mexico), but I agree, so one of the things why I did store pick-up is that, in case something goes wrong, I can go and get them :D. I won't have time until next week to test it out though :(. Price for the Cascade 677XT was not matched anywhere (~$338 with tax). There were actually some used ones in e-Bay but the shipping was ridiculous. Check this:

http://www.google.com/products?q=thule+cascade+1500

Looking forward to the pics !:) My in-law is coming so I will be needing those also. Good luck on the install!

Thanks. Let's see how it goes. Same thing here, in-laws are coming, but until May, yet Mrs. coolmazda5 has already some ideas for using it before that (freak)

The price was around $346US including shipping. By the time I add the exchange rate and duty at the border I figure it'll be nearer $380CDN (before GST/PST).
My local dealer has one, in stock, for $418CDN (before GST/PST and after customer discount) so I don't think that it's worth the hassle, or having to pray/hope/wait on delivery from the States, for $40
Here is a photo of the rack:

We finally got our 2008 last week and I went with the mazda racks for the same reason you state above, it just wasn't worth the hassle getting something similar shipped up here for a few bucks less. After looking at the yakima and Thule options, which were in the same ballpark for price, I came full circle and went with the mazda ones. I haven't tested em' out for road noise yet, but I like the fact that they snap directly into the roof. I noticed they came with the little plastic wing shaped thingies (which were called wind jammers on my old yakimas) so I'm assuming that those things are meant to minimize the noise.

I noticed they came with the little plastic wing shaped thingies (which were called wind jammers on my old yakimas) so I'm assuming that those things are meant to minimize the noise.

Noise and drag....even though I don't think they do a good job at either. You will need to get the roof deflector if you want to reduce these factors.
Anthony

Here you go, I finally got some time to play around with it. Now, if you have a garage and want to drive around with the new toy, make sure you assemble it outside :D

• OEM roof rack, part(s): CC43-V4-701G
  • Thule Cargo Box: CascadeXT, 15 cu. ft. capacity

Roof rack: ~30 minutes to install. I broke one of the little plastic protection clips of the roof. They are so freakin' fragile :(. Anyone know where to get some new ones? Dealer?

Thule Cargo Box: ~15 minutes to install, 2nd time can be 7-10 minutes (I hope :D)

Now I need to clean the damn thing. Windex the store guys said.

Several pictures, from pickup (the cargo box fits inside the car!), to toddler quality inspection ;) and install (rack and box). So far it worked well. No load added yet. Sorry, they don't seem to be all in order though.

Attachments

• mazda5_thule_cargo_jan_20_2008_02.jpg
    mazda5_thule_cargo_jan_20_2008_02.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 2,387
  • mazda5_thule_cargo_jan_20_2008_03.jpg
    mazda5_thule_cargo_jan_20_2008_03.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 2,061
  • mazda5_thule_cargo_jan_20_2008_05.jpg
    mazda5_thule_cargo_jan_20_2008_05.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 2,376
  • mazda5_thule_cargo_jan_31_2008_07.jpg
    mazda5_thule_cargo_jan_31_2008_07.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 2,538
  • mazda5_thule_cargo_jan_31_2008_08.jpg
    mazda5_thule_cargo_jan_31_2008_08.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 2,288
Last edited:
More pics...

Attachments

• mazda5_thule_cargo_jan_31_2008_rack.jpg 001.jpg
    mazda5_thule_cargo_jan_31_2008_rack.jpg 001.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,803
  • mazda5_thule_cargo_jan_31_2008_09.jpg
    mazda5_thule_cargo_jan_31_2008_09.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,487
  • mazda5_thule_cargo_jan_31_2008_rack.jpg 002.jpg
    mazda5_thule_cargo_jan_31_2008_rack.jpg 002.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,890
  • mazda5_thule_cargo_jan_31_2008_10.jpg
    mazda5_thule_cargo_jan_31_2008_10.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,498
  • mazda5_thule_cargo_jan_31_2008_11.jpg
    mazda5_thule_cargo_jan_31_2008_11.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,781
Thanks for posting the pics man! Your roof box looks good on the Mazda. Too bad our big stroller wont fit in those. I'll look around for a nice basket. The one on the Mazda site doesnt look too good.

regards

No probs,

Question, Do you need to take the large stroller with you when traveling? We have small one for long trips (I think it was like $20, babies-r-us). Not the most ergonomic or best quality, but it has an umbrella, a small sack for toys and bottles plus silly brakes for when taking public transport. It folds like in 10 seconds and fits anywhere. Good to go through airports and to ride around.

I ask because I think that if the stroller is very large there will be no cargo box that could fit one. Those late model huge-ass strollers are generally quite wide, so not even folded will make it...

Anyway, have fun!

No probs,

Question, Do you need to take the large stroller with you when traveling? We have small one for long trips (I think it was like $20, babies-r-us). Not the most ergonomic or best quality, but it has an umbrella, a small sack for toys and bottles plus silly brakes for when taking public transport. It folds like in 10 seconds and fits anywhere. Good to go through airports and to ride around.

I ask because I think that if the stroller is very large there will be no cargo box that could fit one. Those late model huge-ass strollers are generally quite wide, so not even folded will make it...

Anyway, have fun!

We bought this huge ass stroller for my 3 y/o son and the wife is scheduled for c-section for our second son this coming valentines day! :)
13130_1.jpg

I know it wont fit with any of those cargo boxes so I'm thinking of buying the cargo basket like this one..
maz5RoofLuggageBasketWStretchNet.jpg

But I've seen one here in our area and I dont like how it looks :)

Last edited:
I broke one of the little plastic protection clips of the roof. They are so freakin' fragile :(. Anyone know where to get some new ones? Dealer?

You can certainly get them from the dealer. onlinemazdaparts.com has them for $4.36 each.

$4.36? I will rent another one and swap them one of these days instead, LOL...

No, thanks for the link. I'll also check on the next service appointment, possibly they can squeeze some in for me as a thank you gift ;)

Pedro_Mazda: They do make cargo boxes that will fit big ass honkin strollers like that. The cargo box I got (Sportrack Explorer A90095) fits our Graco DuoGlider and a lot more.

As I previously mentioned, I had to "modify" (completely drill new holes) in the box to get it to fit the Mazda rack. If I had to do it again, I would probably buy Mazda's small box (see my previous post about price). Even though they call it small, it is the only one that has the height and length to fit a double stroller. Take a look at the dimensions.

Now, if you have a garage and want to drive around with the new toy, make sure you assemble it outside :D

Good advice coolmazda5!

I installed the bars on ours in the garage last night, and swapped over the Thule Frontier box (11cuft) from the Volvo. Everything worked out fine, but then I realized that the 5 wouldn't get out of the garage with the box on!

The downside of this, of course, means that I will need to install the box (and pack it) when the 5 is on the driveway, and then unpack and uninstall it there as well (bang)

For snowboarding trips away I like to get the packing done the night before (and in the garage out of the elements) so that we can just take off in the morning.

I guess this means those days are over...

On the plus side, I didn't have to relocate the box brackets, which means that the box is interchangeable between both vehicles! The Volvo bars are 32" o/c and the Mazda are around 32.5" o/c

Pedro_Mazda: They do make cargo boxes that will fit big ass honkin strollers like that. The cargo box I got (Sportrack Explorer A90095) fits our Graco DuoGlider and a lot more.

As I previously mentioned, I had to "modify" (completely drill new holes) in the box to get it to fit the Mazda rack. If I had to do it again, I would probably buy Mazda's small box (see my previous post about price). Even though they call it small, it is the only one that has the height and length to fit a double stroller. Take a look at the dimensions.

Well guys, I'll be damned :D. I read schokie's post (thanks schokie) and yes, my "huge-ass" stroller fits in the cargo box (see pictures). The stroller is a Graco Quattro Tour. It is pretty tight though. I had to push down a little to lock the box, so measure well before buying any box. Too tight up there is not very safe IMO.

Attachments

• mazda5_thule_cargo_jan_31_2008_13.jpg
    mazda5_thule_cargo_jan_31_2008_13.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 971
  • mazda5_thule_cargo_jan_31_2008_14.jpg
    mazda5_thule_cargo_jan_31_2008_14.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,186
Good advice coolmazda5!

I installed the bars on ours in the garage last night, and swapped over the Thule Frontier box (11cuft) from the Volvo. Everything worked out fine, but then I realized that the 5 wouldn't get out of the garage with the box on!

The downside of this, of course, means that I will need to install the box (and pack it) when the 5 is on the driveway, and then unpack and uninstall it there as well (bang)

For snowboarding trips away I like to get the packing done the night before (and in the garage out of the elements) so that we can just take off in the morning.

I guess this means those days are over...

On the plus side, I didn't have to relocate the box brackets, which means that the box is interchangeable between both vehicles! The Volvo bars are 32" o/c and the Mazda are around 32.5" o/c

Volvo+Thule?... let me guess, the 1st trip is to IKEA? ;)

Yup, I "had" the same issue so I thought it was worth mentioning. Clearance is about 1" short in my case :(, but at least good to know your box is interchangeable. What Volvo model is it? My mother-in-law drives a v40 in the old continent and we borrowed it last Summer. That is a sweet car. We fitted everything we needed, yet it was much tighter than the Mazda5. With 2+ kids would have turned really difficult to make it I guess.

Back