06-07 Mazda 5 In-dash Nav

P2K

:
DBA-BK3P
As the title states, I'm looking for the 06-07 nav screen for a Mazda 5. I've googled, searched the forum, and even looked for the part on some Mazda sites and came up empty. I have a 08 Mazda 5 GT without nav but I have bluetooth. I didn't want to pay $1700 for the in-dash because I have a Garmin Nuvi that I can use in both cars. Although the stock nav screen looks really nice, I didn't want to be forced to pay hundreds of dollars for the updates every year and don't like the fact that it's DVD-based.

I've compared both old and new dashes and it looks to be a complete swap because they're shaped exactly the same. The only difference is the button and information screen locations. The only reason I want the older flip screen is for DVD purpose for road trips, that's it. I don't want to install an aftermarket HU because I want everything to continue to look stock and I like the fact that the flip screen can be hidden when not in use. Plus I like the gunmetal colored radio bezel compared to the 06-07 OEM, Scosche, and Metra kits.

I found the part on TradeMotion but it's the one with bluetooth and without the screen. So, if anyone can provide me with a link or information on where to get one, I'd gladly appreciate it. I'm not ready to buy right now, I just need to know where to get it from in the near future.

Thanks

What I have
7203204.jpg

What I want
0510_Mazda_5+2006_Mazda_5+Front_Interior_Dashboard_View.jpg

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for. But I only want the screen, not the nav portion. I'll give them a call to see what they're willing to do. Thanks again.

The one listed on ebay lacks the console mounted controls and wire harness, so it would be quite difficult to actually retrofit.

Ok, so what's actually needed for it to work correctly? Wire harness, console controls, whatelse? Are the console controls nessessary? It just looks like an ordinary remote to me. I mean, I can get by with just pushing the open/close and tilt buttons by hand, that's fine with me. I'm only using it for watching movies. I won't be using it for nav, so the nav portion is useless to me. I'll be mounting a dvd player in the glove box, I don't want the stock one.

Last edited:
Ok, I just found it on Trademotion. I was looking under the wrong category. They want $2848.37 just for the screen. The console remote is $330.74 and the bluetooth mic is $217.41. WOW, no way in hell!

http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...0172&callout=1&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

5460172.gif

And for those looking to take on the 2008-up nav project, you're going to have to shell out $8706.16 just for the display, you still have to get the radio bezel and other parts.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214264&chapter=&Sectionids=3,2413&groupid=7660&subgroupid=3700&componentid=0&make=22&model=Mazda%205&year=2008&graphicID=5460175&callout=1&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

5460175.gif

It's nice to have everything integrated, but not at that cost.

A secondary/haldheld GPS or LCD/DVD standalone is only a few hundred. You could purchased so many standalone models for the one built in.

m.

In the second photo (the black interior with manual transmission), what is immediately to the left of the stick? Is that controls for the navigation?

From what I understand - you want a DVD screen that is viewable by the driver and passenger while driving?

Isn't that illegal in most states?

If you want just a DVD player, they are cheap and easy to find.

In the second photo (the black interior with manual transmission), what is immediately to the left of the stick? Is that controls for the navigation?
Yes, they are nav controls.

From what I understand - you want a DVD screen that is viewable by the driver and passenger while driving?

Isn't that illegal in most states?

If you want just a DVD player, they are cheap and easy to find.
Whether it's illegal or not, it isn't my concern. I'm sure I can drive and watch at the same time. Aftermarket is regulated to a certain extent that I know of, OEM is regulated for everything. Especially where safety is concerned. I highly doubt that I'll get pulled over by the police for watching my screen, especially in Texas. I understand there are cheaper options, but the integrated OEM look is what I'm going for.

Whether it's illegal or not, it isn't my concern. I'm sure I can drive and watch at the same time. Aftermarket is regulated to a certain extent that I know of, OEM is regulated for everything. Especially where safety is concerned. I highly doubt that I'll get pulled over by the police for watching my screen, especially in Texas. I understand there are cheaper options, but the integrated OEM look is what I'm going for.

I'm glad I don't plan on being in Texas. ;)

Wow, it's not that serious. But you can disagree all you want. You're entitled to your opinion.

Got any install pictures?

My wife and keep going back and forth about GPS. We didn't opt for it at the dealer, but now it's pretty much needed.

Cost of a portable Garmin Nuvi: coupla hundred bucks & not a clean install
Cost of OEM pop-ups: nearly $1K when all parts are added up... even if I do the install myself.

m.

On a long trip, there are times when you need to go to the restaurant. A good time too to browse your next destination,
check the POI's around the area, and maybe call hotels listed in your gps's
database.

This is where the portable gps shines. No need to go back into the car.
to operate the built-in nav.

there are various gps forums to help you 'research'. gps forums are like car forums. they have their loyalties to the brands that they have. I have a tomtom and I visit tomtomforums.com you can google for garmin or magellan forums.

I agree with getting a portable. I bought a Garmin Nuvi 260W and it had everything I was looking for in a portable, nothing more and nothing less. I also feel the same that by it being portable, you can go anywhere with it, hence portable. I too was tossing whether to get the OEM nav or not, but the price was more than I was willing to pay. I had already bought the Garmin when I bought my MS3 so it was actually unnecessary. I believe nav is a necessity, especially when the wife is concerned. She gets lost easily.

I only bought the screen for entertainment purposes only. For long road trips and such. Not to watch movies every time I get in the car like some people might have thought. Mainly for the wife, because I usually do the driving. I'm also researching screens for the headrests for the kids. I'm also researching replacing the stock speakers, building a custom sub enclosure, the whole 9 yards. I don't have any install pics yet because I'm in Korea right now and had it shipped to the house so I can install it when I get home. As soon as I'm able to, I'll post a how-to with pics.

Last edited:
In Dash nav as a DVD player

I agree with getting a portable. I bought a Garmin Nuvi 260W and it had everything I was looking for in a portable, nothing more and nothing less. I also feel the same that by it being portable, you can go anywhere with it, hence portable. I too was tossing whether to get the OEM nav or not, but the price was more than I was willing to pay. I had already bought the Garmin when I bought my MS3 so it was actually unnecessary. I believe nav is a necessity, especially when the wife is concerned. She gets lost easily.

I only bought the screen for entertainment purposes only. For long road trips and such. Not to watch movies every time I get in the car like some people might have thought. Mainly for the wife, because I usually do the driving. I'm also researching screens for the headrests for the kids. I'm also researching replacing the stock speakers, building a custom sub enclosure, the whole 9 yards. I don't have any install pics yet because I'm in Korea right now and had it shipped to the house so I can install it when I get home. As soon as I'm able to, I'll post a how-to with pics.

I have the in dash nav already but I want to use it as a DVD player. Is this what you did and what did you have to do to it?

I ended up just putting in an aftermarket double din unit. It is a JVC unit similar to this one. This is the successor actually.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KWN500H/JVC-KW-NT500HDT.html?tp=20212

Have been very pleased with it. Sound quality is better than the factory radio, has HD tuner built in, GPS has worked well and the included traffic system works pretty good also. Steering wheel controls work fine with it. I had the OEM nav option in our 2010 3 and to be honest it was harder to deal with and didn't do as much. The things boots VERY vast and you can change the splash screens when it turns on or off. I can get a photo if needed but it does a very good job of appearing and so far functions better than a factory unit.

Back