Anyone tried Amazon.com MP3's?

:
11 MS3 Sport
So here's the deal: I used to love downloading music on iTunes because it was quick and easy. I loved previewing music that was new on the market and buying it with one simple click. Then..I upgraded to a Blackberry 8330 and none of the music I downloaded was compatible! All of it was incompatible due to the file format. I wasn't surprised since I was expecting it to happen, but it sorta hit me "I'm buying this music, this should be mine."

I went on a 6 month brief where I didn't buy any music, but now theres music to be had and I don't want to download it from iTunes. This is where Amazon comes into play. Same prices or less, and it's DRM-Free. I previewed a couple songs and the sound quality was nowhere near the same as iTunes. But then again, it could be just the preview. I guess I could just buy the songs and try it.

Have you guys had any positive experiences with Amazon's music store?

Ok.. you can ignore that imbecile. If you want to take your chances and infect your computer on limewire or any other p2p service, be my guest.

Now that the unpleasantess is over..... I've purchased a few things off of Amazon's MP3 service, and I have nothing but positive things to say about it. The bitrate of the files is more than Itunes most of the time. I purchased a Dropkick Murphys album, and the bitrate was 320kpbs from Amazon and the standard 128kbps from Itunes.

I'd say if you are looking into purchasing music the legit way, Amazon is certainly a good option.

That's inspiring atleast. I was reading that while iTunes is only 128kbps, it's AAC which has better sound quality than an MP3 at 128kbps.

Thanks for the info! And yes, I do support purchasing music legally!

Something has always bothered me about Itunes sound quality. Everything sounds flat for some reason.

i've bought from amazon before. never technically paid but have certainly downloaded. when you buy certain electronic devices from amazon they often send you a free song certificate thing. they also used to do pepsi stuff points. i'm no audiophile but they all sound perfectly fine to me.

All I know is, my Blackberry MP3 player sounds terrible and doesn't have nearly the sound output that my iTouch has using the 3.5 connection. CD's ultimately sound the best on my Bose setup in the car. And I just want to make sure it'll sound as good as it can.

try converting your itunes mp3s to a format your blackberry can play. see how those sound. it could just be that your blackberry has crappy sound. that would make sense since blackberries are productivity focused where an ipod touch has the primary focus of entertainment. are you using the same headphones with each as well?

CDs should sound better than an mp3 because they are uncompressed. mp3s save space by essentially eliminating sound. they do it smartly so most people on normal sound systems won't notice but people who really pay attention to sound or are playing it on a nice sound system can tell the difference

try converting your itunes mp3s to a format your blackberry can play. see how those sound. it could just be that your blackberry has crappy sound. that would make sense since blackberries are productivity focused where an ipod touch has the primary focus of entertainment. are you using the same headphones with each as well?

CDs should sound better than an mp3 because they are uncompressed. mp3s save space by essentially eliminating sound. they do it smartly so most people on normal sound systems won't notice but people who really pay attention to sound or are playing it on a nice sound system can tell the difference

Makes sense. The Blackberry media player is pretty nice and has an equalizer similar to the iPod. All I know is, I have to turn my car stereo up quite a bit for volume, whereas the iPod touch is spot on with my cds for volume and quality. It's too bad, i'd love to condense everything down to one device so badly. Especially when Bluetooth is becoming a new wireless way to sync audio with the car. I'd have it all in one device.

Maybe the next Berry will be better.

why not get a smartphone that isn't a blackberry? if you like the ipod touch why not an iphone? blackberries will always be business focused. the latest OS is more personal focused but still they're making their money from selling the devices to businesses.

I love Amazon's music service. However, all of my files were 256 Kbps. (I think anything over 192 is a waste, and there are plenty of studies that back that up.)

P.S. I have also been using LimeWire for over 3 years, and I have never had an issue with it. However, I do have ZoneAlarm, Mcafee, and 15+ years of computer experience, so viruses / trojans are not an issue for me.

Last edited:
Well, it's a couple different reasons (And please, no carrier bashing, i've been in the phone business for over 6 years, i've heard it all).

I'm with Sprint, and I use my phone for business and personal. It was the closest thing I could get, without being forced into a Windows Mobile device and I absolutely hate those. I'm not willing to switch to AT&T for a slower 3G network, and i'm not willing to raise my phone bill from practically $0, to $100 a month.

good reasons, just asking the question.

i think if you're stuck with sprint phones it's going to be a while before you get anything resembling an all in one, esp if you're avoiding winmo. my previous phone had winmo 6 which wasn't bad though i didn't explore the media functions at all. winmo 6.5 looks like it'll be better still but still a little ways off. the palm pre also looks interesting but as it's a new OS it'll take some time to shake things out and make it worthwhile. same with android (haven't heard of any non-GSM android phones yet though)

The problem with WinMo is the fact they keep running WinMo on devices that have the minimum system requirements to handle the operating system. Anything beyond the flashy OS slows the entire phone down and requires consistent maintenance of shutting down open programs (sounds like an American car huh!).

Blackberry is the most user-friendly and simple, and Palm honestly doesn't stand a chance. Everyone always says "Wow, it's getting great reviews at CES". EVERYTHING gets great reviews at CES! Same thing as the Blackberry Storm, but having been in the business so long, I knew it wouldn't last because it's not a realistic, durable, reliable phone. It's a very fragile setup, only meant to be flashy, and the users require extreme patience. That goes against everything the Blackberry was founded on. Fast-paced, highly-productive handsets. Palm hasn't made a device the public truely wants in a while. The only people who buy them are people who have had Palm, and stick with Palm. Sorta like the ignorant American car consumer. They could careless how many times it's failed them or hasn't changed whatsoever, they're just used to it. (I'm typing this as I read an article on CNN about "American Pride" and people may as well "layoff the workers themselves each time they buy a Foreign car".)

Anyhow, Sprint is dragging their feet hardcore with a new Blackberry. I'm hoping the BB8900 will be my next handset. The push for stronger multimedia capabilities are there, and it's evident with better options with each handset that comes out.

And, I definitely couldn't switch to WinMo when i'm about to ditch Windows all together at the house.

Well, it's a couple different reasons (And please, no carrier bashing, i've been in the phone business for over 6 years, i've heard it all).

I'm with Sprint, and I use my phone for business and personal. It was the closest thing I could get, without being forced into a Windows Mobile device and I absolutely hate those. I'm not willing to switch to AT&T for a slower 3G network, and i'm not willing to raise my phone bill from practically $0, to $100 a month.

So I guess you must be using EVDO for your CDMA connection, otherwise the 3G would be certainly be faster. GSM units utilizing UMTS / HSDPA have faster download link speeds than either Rev 0 or Rev A of EVDO, so a GSM network is theoretically faster... However, I wouldn't switch because GSM seems to drop calls a lot more often than CDMA....but I digest....... ;-)

my winmo experience went from "this sucks" to "this is pretty decent" very quickly. the difference was that i loaded the original HTC home screen instead of the crappy one that AT&T put on there. then a few other tweaks and it was actually pretty user friendly. closing programs was just a matter of clicking the top right (i think) drop down which brought up a list of currently running programs with an X next to them to close them. i'm kind of OCD about what's open on my comp anyway so translating that to a phone was pretty easy. if i was stuck with the out of the box AT&T version of winmo i would've gotten rid of that phone very quickly.

now i'm on S60 and i like it better than winmo but sprint will probably never come out with an S60 device as they're usually GSM. this is my second S60 device and my first one was very sluggish. this one is smaller and much zippier. it also allows me to do fun things like turn my phone into a wifi hotspot which i've used on occassion to connect my ipod touch to the internet when not in the house.

i'm interested to see what happens to the pre. i have a feeling it's just too late to the party. even if it is good it's not really offering anything that android, iphone OS, S60, and even winmo aren't already offering and they all have a huge head start.

blackberries have never really thrilled me. some of the newer ones are nicer but there are always things i'd rather have instead. when my contract is up i'll consider one but mostly because it'd be nice to get work email on my phone and i'm not at the level where the company will buy one and we don't allow mobile access from a non-blackberry device.

The project unfolding for Sprint's new WiMax (Xohm) network should yield some incredible speeds. I think it'll still fall susceptible to "Data or Call at one time only" instead of GSM's dual capabilities of data and calls at the same time.

AT&T uses somewhat of a hybrid system where it has CDMA and GSM. Either way, it's not as advanced and it has issues very periodically. Just last month, the MSO went down and shut down the midwest for about 12 hours.

It's a shame the iPhone was so heavily bid on by AT&T. Rumor on the hill now is, they're getting closer to buying their way OUT of that bid since it's overwhelming their network.

Back