Non Interference Motor??

OK,... I think I figured out how to upload a video.

https://vimeo.com/272830367

I got my friend to record me while I spun things around.

It started making a clattering noise after oil drained into the two cylinders and I dropped a valve cover bolt into the valves as well as maybe one in a cylinder.

The oil was spraying all over too so I put a little ceramic cup over it but all the oil ran into the cylinders. I had all the plugs removed so my cordless drill would have an easier time cranking the crankshaft over.

Last edited:
I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is an easy way to tell if your valves were bent after a T-belt breaking or do you have to install a new belt and try it,... Even to do a compression test ??

I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is an easy way to tell if your valves were bent after a T-belt breaking or do you have to install a new belt and try it,... Even to do a compression test ??

A bent valve usually won't close all the way, rotate the cam opposite of max lift and slip a feeler gauge in there, see if the lash is way out of spec.

A bent valve usually won't close all the way, rotate the cam opposite of max lift and slip a feeler gauge in there, see if the lash is way out of spec.

Kool,.. The makes sense...

I'll go measure mine today.

I measured the valve lash for all the valves.
They were all 0.30 or less except two intake valves measuring 0.33 but the 0.35 wouldn't fit.

I don't think that would be considered way out of spec., just worn,... The engine has 266,000 km on it.

Or rotate the cams opposite of max lift so all valves in that cylinder are closed, then use the attachment from a compression tester and feed compressed air into the cylinder. If they're bent it won't hold any pressure. If you can hear any kind of leaking through the intake or exhaust, then they're not sealing properly and you could use a valve job (usually just re-lapping them is sufficient unless it's a gross leak).

coincidentally, this is also how you can replace the valve stem seals without removing the head from the engine. Compressed air, 1 cylinder at a time. It holds the valves closed from the compressed air while you pull the springs/keepers off :)

Back