Driving a just bought car home (bought from a private Seller)>>

dsm918

Hey guys.....I might be buying a car from New York. I'll get the insurance from GEICO and the title will be handed over to me by the seller. How does one go about getting it home if driving it is the only option? I don't wanna put the Tag from my other car because I know that is not allowed. I've heard that if you have the title and you just bought car, you should be fine but this is New Jersey (argh).....Crazy laws here. I'll be driving 2 hrs from NYC to south Jersey. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Hey guys.....I might be buying a car from New York. I'll get the insurance from GEICO and the title will be handed over to me by the seller. How does one go about getting it home if driving it is the only option? I don't wanna put the Tag from my other car because I know that is not allowed. I've heard that if you have the title and you just bought car, you should be fine but this is New Jersey (argh).....Crazy laws here. I'll be driving 2 hrs from NYC to south Jersey. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Temp insurance? I know when i bought a car in the US to import into Canada I just bought temp insurance from own insurance company and slapped it on.

make sure that you get a bill of sale signed by the seller and dated. as for the insurance, just call your current insurance company and explain the situation and they will advise

Thanks.

Have the title and bill of sale, you'll be fine.

Temp insurance? I know when i bought a car in the US to import into Canada I just bought temp insurance from own insurance company and slapped it on.

Not worried about insurance. I have that covered/ Just wondering what do I do for Tags?

The tag situation will be state-specific. Call NJ DMV. Chances are though if you get pulled over, the title and bill of sale will suffice.

In Florida, a new/replacement vehicle is automatically covered by insurance for thirty days. The tag may be different, as may the insurance. Your DMV's site should have the answers.

Back