Oxygen sensor gone bad, any D.I.Y. info greatly appreciated...

fishman138

:
Yellow 5 Standing by
Hi everybody, my 02 P5 baby has finally become in need of a new O2 sensor, any and all info would be greatly appreciated. This is also the 2nd time i've had this issue come up. Had it replaced once already @ 82k last summer and here I am @ 103k just 7 months later with the same CEL on. Blew almost 3 bills on the first repair, and rather do it myself this go around. Money tree is on vacation..LOL...thanks for any info.

Hi everybody, my 02 P5 baby has finally become in need of a new O2 sensor, any and all info would be greatly appreciated. This is also the 2nd time i've had this issue come up. Had it replaced once already @ 82k last summer and here I am @ 103k just 7 months later with the same CEL on. Blew almost 3 bills on the first repair, and rather do it myself this go around. Money tree is on vacation..LOL...thanks for any info.

I had problems with my Nissan going through them until I bought an NGK O2 sensor. Then it never happened again. Not sure they even make them for the P5, but I'd check. As far as doing it yourself, it's as easy as changing a sparkplug.

Which O2 sensor is it? I recently had to change one of mine; the one on top of the exhaust manifold (I forget which CEL code that one throws). I was quoted ~$300 by most local shops to change it. $250 for the part and about an hour of labor. I got the sensor for $110 online and it only took about 10 minutes to change.

Which O2 sensor is it?

Great question, I had no clue there were 2 of them. The guy who checked it didnt specify. Now ya got me thinking its probably the one I didnt get repaired when this happened 7 months ago...Arrrghh. Thanks for looking out.

I love these forums.

Two ways to swap them. Both start with hitting them first with BreakFree or pb bLASTER...

1. Cut the connector off and use a deep well socket. Install with box or open end wrench & then connect.

2. Get a o2 senosr socket (has cut out for the wire).

Thanks P~funk, should I get it RE-diagnosed to find out which sensor needs replacement or just go ahead and replace both?...I have NO clue which one was repaired 21k ago.

you can probably get away with only changing the bad sensor but if you only change one, dont be surprized if after changing one you get a CEL for the other sensor because the car will then see the second one isnt performing as well as the new one bus since one was already replaced already your prolly fine

Last edited:
Get the code read to find out which one it is. Like you said money doesn't grow on trees.

Holy crap!...just got off the phone with a Mazda dealer parts department...wait for it.......TWO HUNDRED TWENTY bucks for front and TWO HUNDRED TWENTY for rear O2 sensors. I think i'm in the wrong business...

SMDH...

Yeah, that is why so many of us learn to do it ourselves. The more you do = the more confidence to tackle the next issue...

Buy on online and do it yourself!

On Jan 20, 09 I was told the code is P0031 . ( if anybody has a clue, I'd love to hear it )

The first one was replaced in august of last year, but they never told me which one was replaced. All I have from that is the part no# : 547-147, which i've been trying to track down with no luck.

I'm pretty sure that is the front one. They have cheap ones on ebay for $30 if you want to try your luck. They usually work on Hondas, but not good on Nissans. Never tried them on a Mazda.

P0031 = HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank1, Sensor 1)... this refers to the forward O2 sensor

P0031 = HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank1, Sensor 1)... this refers to the forward O2 sensor

I second that. CEL popped up today, had it checked at ORiellys and thats exactly what it said. After researching a minute, found that its the first 02 sensor (in your exhaust manifold, before the cat.) Easy to reach, sticks right through your heat shield on the manifold.... replacing mine tommorrow, ORiellys said 80 bucks for it.

I replaced my O2 sensor with a universal one from Autzone. I drove it for about 150 miles without the CEL going on. Today I was driving to a friends house and it went on again. I have the P1170 code again. Does anyone know how to test an O2 sensor (voltage and such). I've been looking around but I haven't found anything yet.

I replaced my O2 sensor with a universal one from Autzone. I drove it for about 150 miles without the CEL going on. Today I was driving to a friends house and it went on again. I have the P1170 code again. Does anyone know how to test an O2 sensor (voltage and such). I've been looking around but I haven't found anything yet.

This article may help.
http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/O2_Sensor.html

Clifton

Back