2 piece downpipe/midpipe vs 1 piece

Euphorism

:
2007 MS3
just as the title says im curious if there are any upsides/downsides to a 2 vs 1 piece setup other that installation differences. most of the big name manufacturers do them each piece and then you will find around on the internet and on ebay stores that have a solid turbo to cat setup. are those junk? cpboost makes a nice looking one.. anybody have experience with them?

just as the title says im curious if there are any upsides/downsides to a 2 vs 1 piece setup other that installation differences. most of the big name manufacturers do them each piece and then you will find around on the internet and on ebay stores that have a solid turbo to cat setup. are those junk? cpboost makes a nice looking one.. anybody have experience with them?

There should be no performance difference in whether the combo is one piece or two pieces assuming you assemble it properly. There will be an easier install with the two piece system if you are doing it yourself. And since I wanted to add a reso in the RP section, the two piece system made the best sense.

There seems to be only personal preference between the 1 and 2 piece set ups.

Search the thread and you will find a lot of folks using CP-E, Turbo XS, Corksport, Cobb et al. Most seem to be happy with their choice of the afore mentioned companies, which I might add, support this forum.

1 piece has one less joint so thats one less place to have a possible leak.
Absolutely, the 1 piece units are nice. That's not to say the 2 piece can't do just as well. If your doing a 2 piece system probably a good idea to keep the parts from the same manufacturer to insure the best fitment.

1 piece has one less joint so thats one less place to have a possible leak.

thats about the only real upside i can think of to having a one piece. one thing one piece setups have that 2 piece's don't is a flex section. is that an advantage? not really but it's worth mentioning

also, the one piece can be offered catted or cat delete.

example: cpe offers both, cobb offers catted

as far as i know, two piece set up only offers straight 3 inch.

Back