Suspension Mod Suggestions

Ninkumpoop

:
2009 Mazda Mazdaspeed3
Besides my H&R lowering springs, my suspension system is stock. I have two questions:
1. is it bad to only change the springs?
2. what else should I change?

It is not bad to change the springs unless the spring rate is significantly different. If they are a lot stiffer, you need less compression damping and more rebound damping to keep it under control without being too harsh.

Stiffer ARBs do great things for this car.

So any suggestions on what products to think about purchasing? My new springs lower my car anywhere from 1.5-2".

You should also get your alignment checked if you haven't done it yet. That much drop can change camber substantially, plus when you take the front apart it doesn't always go back in exactly the same place.

I'm gonna go against the grain here and recommend proper dampers. The OEM dampers barely have firm enough valving for the stock springs, and with stiffer/lower springs you should DEFINITELY upgrade to a more suitable damper.

The problem with these cars is that there aren't very many good damper options out there, and you sort of have to comprimise and get Koni FSDs or Yellows, which really aren't constructed for use with springs that lower more than about an inch...

Cobb uses stock damper on the MS3 it races. It is also on cobb springs which are only about an inch lower and a bit stiffer. They have had good luck with them.

Cobb uses stock damper on the MS3 it races. It is also on cobb springs which are only about an inch lower and a bit stiffer. They have had good luck with them.

I don't care what Cobb says, the stock dampers are crap and should be replaced, especially if you put springs on that are any stiffer or lower than stock.

I had just h&R springs before.. It sucked balls.. too ruff and bouncy. You could feel everything with a whole lot drama. Now i have koni yellows and H&R's . as far a ride goes. everything is 50% better i would say. You can still feel everything but with alot less drama (these springs are stiff). there is still some float on wavy roads but its far better. Its now at the point where anymore ruffness would be too much... Im ok with it. I need to adjust the rears so i can set it a bit softer. (i have it a bit more than 1 turn from full soft)... i recommend you get them asap especially if the roads where you live are bad like mine. handling wise seems to be way better from only the limited times I have attempted to take some corners or on-ramps..Needs more testinig lol
..after struts set your toe to 0 all around. your caster will be fine at around -1.4 front and -2 rear.
..and get some Adjustable sway bars < probably the bet "feeling" mod for this car...
OHH i forgot .. tires are the most important part of your suspension... get some sticky tires like the dunlop star spec's, re-01's, kumho xs, azenis 615, hanook z212's...

other than that there is nothing out there yet that is worth your money.. there might be some hardened LCA bushings, but I think they are only for the mz3.. that would be the last thing on the laundry list... what we really need is to reduce the torque steer and wheel spin HA

Last edited:
Back