HID's Won't Fire Up

pureliquidhw

:
2003 Protege5
I just ordered a set of 5000K HID's from Xenon Expert, but after installing I can only get one bulb to fire. I installed the kit with the battery harness and can get the passenger side to fire up and look gorgeous but not the drivers side.

When i flip the switch to turn them on, the driver's side pops, flickers purple, and then goes dark. It seems like it's not getting enough power, but it's setup the same way the the passenger side is (and i'm using the drivers side headlight female plug to hook up to the relay.)

The passenger side is grounded to the frame and the drivers side i grounded to the battery (negative terminal of course) and I am still getting the issue. What should I do as a next step?

I also switched ballasts to test it. Could it be that the bulb was bad out of the box?

There is no difference in behavior when the car is running or not.

I just ordered a set of 5000K HID's from Xenon Expert, but after installing I can only get one bulb to fire. I installed the kit with the battery harness and can get the passenger side to fire up and look gorgeous but not the drivers side.

When i flip the switch to turn them on, the driver's side pops, flickers purple, and then goes dark. It seems like it's not getting enough power, but it's setup the same way the the passenger side is (and i'm using the drivers side headlight female plug to hook up to the relay.)

The passenger side is grounded to the frame and the drivers side i grounded to the battery (negative terminal of course) and I am still getting the issue. What should I do as a next step?

I also switched ballasts to test it. Could it be that the bulb was bad out of the box?

There is no difference in behavior when the car is running or not.

If you have a canadian P5 this is no doubt the issue....

Your Daytime Running Lights are the cause for your HID troubles. The DRL module only allows for 7V to be sent to the headlight harnesses on startup rather than the 12V that the HID's require for startup. Here is the link for the fix. It's fairly easy but just take your time and do it properly it DOES work I have it done to my P5 as I had the EXACT problem. Only I fried my DRL module because the before the fix the HID's were trying to suck too much out of the poor module and it was $178.00 to replace .. BE CAREFUL!

Here's the link .... http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26232

lanny709 is right. However, if you don't want to do the whole foglight thing (in my case, i didn't do it because i have the 03.5 lip with foglight deletes) you can also just ground the harness to the chassis and get constant 12V.

That way, even when your DRLs are supposed to be on, what you'll get is your HIDs on full brightness (full voltage) which will stop them from flickering.

Here's what I did:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4214502&postcount=15

I will update my location in my profile, but I'm in the US.

I don't have DRL's and one light works. Using the battery harness should bypass the DRL issues too since the power comes straight from the battery.

99% sure it was a DOA bulb. I'm RMA-ing the bulbs for a new pair. Hopefully the new ones work.

*Sigh* to having to wait another week or 2 for my lights.

Just got the new bulbs yesterday. they both fired up and as the color settled, they were different color temps. One was the pure white as advertised for the 5000K, the other one was closer to what I'm guessing is a 4300K bulb. I emailed xenon_expert and he got back to me, so we'll see how this turns out. It seems I just can't win!

Just got the new bulbs yesterday. they both fired up and as the color settled, they were different color temps. One was the pure white as advertised for the 5000K, the other one was closer to what I'm guessing is a 4300K bulb. I emailed xenon_expert and he got back to me, so we'll see how this turns out. It seems I just can't win!

pics? :) is there really that much difference?

I had a similar issue with my 8K kit that I bought last month. my issue was a dead ballast though :/

Just want to point out that it is really hard to take a picture of the bulb color...

I also had a different color match, it was the bulb. I had to invoke my warranty after getting many irritation from the reflection on people's bumper, one yellow one white. Now it's all good.

Worth the trouble!

Just want to point out that it is really hard to take a picture of the bulb color...

I also had a different color match, it was the bulb. I had to invoke my warranty after getting many irritation from the reflection on people's bumper, one yellow one white. Now it's all good.

Worth the trouble!

how is it difficult to take a photo of the color? :|

Step one: Wait for dark
Step two: Find a wall
Step three: Drive up to wall
Step four: Turn on lights and snap a shot

Yes but the white balance thing in the camera shift the spectrum a little. Also things on the screen is just different from the real world. Also in the LCD there is color temperature stuff too.

Oh, but for color difference it might not be too hard.

It is hard to take a picture. All i have is the camera on my centro. You can notice a slight difference (there is a blue/purple ambiance on the 5000K (Passenger's side) and it is yellow on the mis-colored bulb(driver's side)) but the lights are too bright and it washes out white for most of it.

Attachments

• 8316242659_ORIG.jpeg
    8316242659_ORIG.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 8316242667_ORIG.jpeg
    8316242667_ORIG.jpeg
    25.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 8316242688_ORIG.jpeg
    8316242688_ORIG.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 8316242701_ORIG.jpeg
    8316242701_ORIG.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 125
Still no word from Xenon_Expert. I'm glad I didn't buy all the lights like I wanted to. I would have paid 150-200 for the parts just to have them work and match the first time around!

It's super annoying pulling up behind cars and seeing 2 different colors >:(

Has anyone else had issues with Xenon_Expert and if so how did you resolve them?

Latest posts

Back