Mazda 6 engine shut down

pkwg

Hello world. Quick background, I have a Protege (92, 225k mi), one daughter has 96 Miata (87k mi) and other daughter has 03 Mazda 6 (27k mi). I've always used my good ole country boy mechanic, but he's not up to date with the newer cars. Through my youngest daughter I've learned about the wealth of knowledge on auto forums. So here I am, going to the source...

My oldest daughter just bought her car within the past week and was shocked with it shutting down this morning. She was going about 40 mph up a hill (so not the downhill idle issue), and the car shut down. The battery is new and there was 1/2 tank gas. No sputtering, no warning, just shut down and all dash lights came on simultaneously. It would not restart and has now been towed. Any idea what she may be facing? Thanks

Sounds like possible fuel pump or ignition issue to me.

no warranty? Take it to Auto Zone and Have them run the CEL's on it. It's free!!
Don't ever pay a Diagnostic fee at a mechanic. Is it an Auto? If It's a 5 speed Is it possible that she stalled it?

She has no warranty with the car. It's an automatic and won't restart. Therefore it's difficult to take here and there for testing. It appears to have electrical power since all features are working, except the engine. I've read something about a fuel sending unit that leaks and causes a shut down but am not sure about anything. You expect quirks any time you buy a used car, but not a total shut down within the first week.

LOL, she definitely is not one to drive a stick. Burned out the clutch in the Protege in one week.

She has no warranty with the car. It's an automatic and won't restart. Therefore it's difficult to take here and there for testing. It appears to have electrical power since all features are working, except the engine. I've read something about a fuel sending unit that leaks and causes a shut down but am not sure about anything. You expect quirks any time you buy a used car, but not a total shut down within the first week.

LOL, she definitely is not one to drive a stick. Burned out the clutch in the Protege in one week.
Bummer. I guess my only advise is to take it to a mechanic that you trust, or one who specializes in imports, particularly Mazda's Other than that grab your ankle's and head to the dealership. If you bought the car from a used car dealership Call them up and Blast them!!!! You might be able to get them to fix it for free or give you a refund. If you bought it privately Call the previous owner and ask if they have ever experienced the same problem. If they have tell them they have 3 day to return your money. If not Ankle's, Dealer. Good Luck!!

One of "those" days. She has heard back from the mechanic and ... out of gas! Glad I had towing insurance. Apparently it's the gas guage not working right. Once she calculated how many gallons it took to fill when on empty (guage was working the day she bought it obviously) and the miles driven, it makes sense. Yet, no working guage today. Children... they truly never grow up.

Well, glad it was nothing serious! Just be like most motorcyclists - guess on the fuel with the trip!

Back