Windshield Replacement

JDM-P5

The Jamaican Sensation
:
2006 Speed6 GT
Hey folks...the P5 has been sitting for almost 2 years at my old supervisors house in his garage (starting & driving every now & again for me).
I had a huge crack in my windshield for a while & its now time to get it replaced :p
Has anyone recently (within the last 6 months) had one replaced? What am I looking at for $$$? Should I even claim it through my INS (ded = $500) I have heard people getting a new glass put in for sub-$200 (in that case I would shell out the money myself).
Other than the car is in good condition, the AC has gone to pasture (compressor or condenser...can't remember which one he said)...I'll probably pick one up from ebay or here if I can find it and replace it when I do a belt/tune up job & the O2 sensor swap (thanks Dubby)...after that...the Panda will be back in pristine condition.
The car has maybe ~55k (it's an 02)...thanks guys/gals.

Last edited:
i paid $200 last time for a brand new windshield with labor. safelite autoglass, which i think is a national chain.

Do you have $500 deductible on comprehensive claims or it it for collision?

Many policies have full coverage or $100 deductible for comprehensive. Glass breakege is usually covered under comprehensive and would be replaced free if you have no deductible comprehensive coverage.

Clifton

I'll second safelite...I took my P5 in when it started leaking around the windshield, and they were great...found the leak and sealed it for $50.

Do you have different deductibles for comp and collision? My collision is $500 and my comp is $100, which is what I paid last summer to get mine replaced.

Im getting mine replaced next week. My comp is $100 and the entire estimate was around $340. There was two windshields I could have gotten, OEM and aftermarket. My mechanic told me that there really is no difference between the two and insurance companies tend to pay for the cheaper one anyway. If you have a $500 deductible you'll probably be paying all of it out of pocket unless your insurance has some other way they deal with glass repairs. My suggestion is contacting your agent and asking, what do you have to lose?

I get frost on the INSIDE of my windows when its quite cold. Do I need a new windshield? It looks like its brand new.

I get frost on the INSIDE of my windows when its quite cold. Do I need a new windshield? It looks like its brand new.

that sounds like a weatherstrip/seal problem, not the windshield. If the windshield was replaced, the weatherstrip could be the issue. Or it could be as simple as you have a lot of moisture in the car that needs to be removed.

Last edited:
i paid $200 last time for a brand new windshield with labor. safelite autoglass, which i think is a national chain.

hey ken how did they work out. r they out by ur area... no rattling or anything. i need to get mine replaced one day got about a 2 foot long crack right now(doh)

Damn it...my Comp is $500 and my Collision is $500.
Maybe I can change it to be lower...I'll have to call I guess.

*edit*
Called....
Well...if I lowered my deductible to $100, my policy goes up $28...lol...I may do this right before I leave. :)

Last edited:
Comprehensive is the coverage that applies, not collision. I had mine replaced and the windshield was $198. Cost me $0 as Florida statute mandates that no deductible applicable on windshield claims on private passenger and light trucks, when you have comprehensive coverage.

Shop around for the lowest price. Anything more than $250 installed is too much for this application.

Comprehensive is the coverage that applies, not collision. I had mine replaced and the windshield was $198. Cost me $0 as Florida statute mandates that no deductible applicable on windshield claims on private passenger and light trucks, when you have comprehensive coverage.

Shop around for the lowest price. Anything more than $250 installed is too much for this application.

Word.
I'll probably shop around. There's a safelite in Montgomery.

EDIT
Quoted:
$173 for windshield installation (P5)
$166 for windshield installation (Miata)

$14.95 for moulding (if needed)

Last edited:
Back