Wheel rims bent - 2006 Mazda5 - 17" rims

Dogger

:
Mazda5 GT 2006 AT
Anyone having rims easily bent by potholes recently? I just replaced one and would you believe it, after 2 weeks on the vehicle, it also got bent when I hit another pothole. This is going to be an expensive winter if this keeps up even if I go the the wreckers to get them.

We have a 5 and have not had the problem yet. It is a product of having a low profile tire more than the strength of the wheel.

I had a 91 gti with bbs wheels with similar rubber and bent 2 wheels.

Next year get 16 inch steel wheels and snow tires.

P.S. you should be able to get a nice original used set for 300ish.

Thanks for the information. These are low profiles as you say but I didn't think that they were this susceptible to damage. This is the first time that I ever had bent rims and I have been driving a long time over many miles and types of roads.

The 50 profile is not as low as some but it is 50% of the 205mm or 102.5mm side wall. So compared to say 45% of 225mm ( mazda rx-8) 101.5mm it is almost the same.

It is like many high performance tires and this does happen.

I thicker side wall (more protection) with a 16 inch rim will help in the winter.

I think that will be the way to go. What is a good size winter tire for the 16" rims? We had a hard time getting steel rims in this area because of Quebec enacting mandatory winter tire usage this year. Shortage and demand for both rims and tires should have eased by now.

My fiance hit a good size pothole and blew out both right side tires and bent both both wheels. I called the Mazda stealer and priced new wheels. They wanted $580 a piece for the wheels and $180 or so for each tire. I took it to another place and got 4 aftermarket wheels and tires for $1,300. I have the 2 good wheels from the left side if anyone needs one or two.

Hey Dogger I notice that you're in Toronto. The pothole situation on the road is really bad right now. I hit a large one on the 427N over the weekend, and blew a tire. I don't think my rims are bent though. I'm ordering a new tire, and installing this weekend. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't increasing the psi on a lower profile tire help protect the wheels? I use to run 40psi when I was using my 19" 30 series tires.

You can try writing to the city for compensation.

You could use either a 195/60/16 or a 205/55/16. In either case you need to make sure the tire has the correct load rating. With the 195 tire you will loose some of the handling ability but a narrow tire in general is better in the snow.

Hi MikesMazda5, sorry to hear of your mishap. Your profile says that your Mazda5 is a Sport model which, I believe, has 16" wheels whereas the Touring (or GT in Canada) has 17" wheels. Otherwise i would consider taking a drive to your area because I do need one now and likely, before the end of this winter, maybe another.
PS - happy belated b'day.

Henika, your comment on increasing the PSI is a good one that I will have to consider. I think I will take friti's suggestion and go 16" with winter tires soon.

You are right about the pot holes in the GTA. The 401 in the east end express lanes by Brimley Rd. has a series of them and everyone is weaving around them to avoid them. I can see a whopper of an accident happening there if they don't fix them soon.

I am waiting for a response from York Region on my claim for the first rim. They can only say no.

Frito, thanks for your suggestions on size. As mentioned to Henika above, I think I will seriously consider winter 16" tires on steel rims. In any event, I need at least one replacement 17" rim now to replace the one slightly bent one. Thank goodness the new tire (Bridgestone Potenza G019) is OK but it along with the suspension are sure getting a work out this winter.

That would be incorrect. All 2006 Mazda5's have 17's on them. At least the US models did. 16's weren't even an option as far as I remember.

http://www.autosite.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_id_int/1396

excerpt from this review of the 2006 Mazda5:

Mazda sells the 5 in two trims: Sport and Touring. Standard equipment on the $17,995 Mazda 5 Sport includes those spiffy 17-inch alloy wheels, power door locks with keyless entry, power windows (including those in the sliding side doors), power mirrors, air conditioning, cruise control, and a four-speaker stereo with a CD player and auxiliary controls on the steering wheel.

That would be incorrect. All 2006 Mazda5's have 17's on them. At least the US models did. 16's weren't even an option as far as I remember.

Canadian model specs were different. The GTs came with 17s and the GSs came with 16s. The same configuration options exists with the 09's AFAIK.
Anthony

As Anthony mentioned, the 2 avail models for the MZ5 in Canada have different wheel sizes. Not only that, the designs were different for each model. Could you take a pix of them so I can compare them to mine and confirm their size as 17"?

Henika, I forgot to mention in my earlier response that I did not notice the damage to my rim until after the tire was removed. The exterior was fine and the damage to the interior side of the rim was only slightly visible with the tire on the rim. You might want to remove the damaged tire from the rim to confirm no damage to the rim if you haven't done so already.

Will get pics of mine tomorrow, but as you will see it is that exact one.

Great article on the Mazda5. Right down to the fine points and features. The rims do look like the ones I have. How much do you want for them?

Have to figure it all out. I have heard that shipping from the US to Canada gets kinda pricey.

DHL wants $270 for shipping. That is way too high. You might be better off locating someone closer to you.

A tip on shipping wheels. Do not ship the in 4 boxes. Get 4 wheel boxes pad the wheels a bit and then stack the boxes. Tape it together really tight and voila - save more than 50% on shipping.

Back