Protege5 longevity

mdmxc9

Hi - I'm thinking of buying a 2002 P5 with 90k miles on it - will this car get me to 200k (or farther)? It was very clean with no issues during my test drive. Practically felt like a new car to me. I think its still on the original clutch, I hope I won't have to replace that right off the bat. Would some kind of mechanic inspection be a good idea before I make an offer?

A clutch is all about how they drove it - their technique. But they can last the life of the car with care. I'd say yeah get it checked out. Be sure to include a compression test and assess any leaks that may be starting. Make sure it's clean of ecu cel codes, esp after a good drive. And look for collision damage that left it a lil bent for good. And look hard for rust spots. But these are great cars. Hope it's pretty good and if so BUY IT!

It really depends on how it was taken care of. You are making a better choice going with a manual since the auto trans that came in these cars were known for not being very strong.

The motor is a proven platform and has been around for a very long time. With care and regular maintenance it is very realistic to see over 200k miles. There might be some things that could come up with a car with this many miles, wheel bearings, ball joints, alternator ect. But ANY car will need these eventually.

Im at 136k km with no problems whatsoever, just do my regular oil changes and inspections.
i did my timing belt and brakes at 132k km for the first time,and got new tires.

Im hoping to get another 10 years out of her...hopefully, 300k km plus .

mazda protege is known for its excellent reliability

75k miles, turboed for 2 years, stock clucth and still grabs pretty good

i have an ES, basically an sedan version of the p5

Back