Cobb Turbo Inlet Install & Review

Took me about 90 minutes, but that included installing a silicone recirc tube and cleaning my Forge BPV as well. Initially, I can agree with Bova, that it quiets things down a bit. My DH was lighting up with my boost warnings as I got on the freeway and gave it a little gas. I don't know if my car wasn't really trimmed out correctly before, but this thing gave it some life. Throttle seemed more responsive, boost pressure was there (usually only warned me in 4th of a 17.5 psi spike or higher) from 2nd to 6th, and threw me back in the seat again. I'm gonna get some more miles on it today and see if this changes.

i would also like to add to be careful when tightening the worm clamps on the inlet that hold the metal sleeves in. if you tighten them to much you will actually bend the metal. that seems to be the weak point in this that they used thin sleeves.

I will agree to that.

I also had to remove a bracket in the lower back side of the engine bay. It was holding a wire harness that wasn't going anywhere and it obstructed the inlet for removal/installation. Once it was out, it was a piece of cake to slide in and out.

I will agree to that.

I also had to remove a bracket in the lower back side of the engine bay. It was holding a wire harness that wasn't going anywhere and it obstructed the inlet for removal/installation. Once it was out, it was a piece of cake to slide in and out.

Thanks...I'll look for that too :)

Thanks...I'll look for that too :)

That bracket was the one thing that cost me about 10 minutes of time to figure out the best course of action to get out.

I also disconnected a few wire harnesses to ease up some slack, if you do this, just remember to reconnect them. I worked from the turbo forward and double-checked everything. It mates up really nice to the MS CAI. Can't even tell its there in black either ;-)

yeah i already had my bracket removed from installing the speedie6 inlet so thats why it wasn't in my instructions.

Bova, what were your LTFT's running at after the install? Also, could you send me your DH profile so I can compare it to mine?

I threw CELs tonight coming home, P0401 an P0103. First is an EGR flow problem, second is a filter issue. I know what caused the second one, lots of rain in the area, but not sure about the first. I cleared both and we'll see if they return.

i dont remember what they were after install but right now they are at -3% at idle and -5% while cruising.

so you are adding fuel, where as i'm pulling fuel. you don't have an AP though do you? i do so mine is tuned for the intake, not the inlet though, but it shouldn't make a big difference. but i can see it is leaning you out a bit so that is why you are adding fuel.

No, I don't have an AP, so I figure our numbers will be off. Essentially you want the car to trim back to as close to zero as possible, right?

My concern now is making sure I don't see another CEL today on the road...otherwise its going back to stock and heading to the dealer.

as long as you are within +/- 8% with your ltft then you are ok. the car will not be able to trim itself back to 0. when your STFT are at 0% your car is done learning and thats where the values will stay. although weather will affect this so you might see minor changes. your car will not throw a cel for too rich or too lean unless you are +/-20% off.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Next question: since the install, my boost has been spiking up to over 19 consistently and up to as high as 21 psi. Do you think I should worry about spiking, or is that alright as long as it's not holding at that level?

Last edited:
91 hahaha man you have problems. um if its just a spike it may not be a problem but if you are holding that it could be, i dont know all of your mods though.

91 hahaha man you have problems. um if its just a spike it may not be a problem but if you are holding that it could be, i dont know all of your mods though.

It's only a spike, then it tapers back off. I've got the MS CAI, Forge BPV, Cobb inlet right now basically.

i'm about to install the cobb sri and cobb inlet on my stock speed with stock bpv, i will report how it goes. it may be your CAI, it seems that Cobb and Corksport have both mated their inlets to a short ram, so theres your airflow CEL. when i attempted to purchase a Mazdaspeed CAI from the dealer they said they were cancelled and reworked due to turbulence problems and throwing CELs.

I'll update you on my situation: Since I installed the splash shield, there have been no adverse effects on the IAT's and the problem seems to be gone. I've driven through some fairly heavy rain and had good luck with not trashing the filter. As the weather warms, my next tire rotation I'll check the condition and report.

The inlet is still working well, I checked all my fittings and everything seems to be sitting nice and tight in the intake tract. Still happy with the purchase, but I do agree that Cobb should have supplied thicker mounting sleeves and fixed them in place to prevent them from being crushed due to overtightening.

Back