LSD and CS headache

Rally Ninja

:
MSP
So my LSD finally failed at 77k back in late November. I took it to CS to get it fixed. The guy servicing the car thought it could of just been the clutch because it looked worn. So he replaced that and the car would still not run. So he had to take the tranny out a second time. Replaced the Diff this time. I asked to have the mazda v3 LSD welded for strength. About a week later I got the car back and drove to a friends house 30miles away.

I parked the car and then saw tranny fluid dump all over the driveway. Some black pin that I guess hooks up to the shift linkage fell out?

A week later I had to tow the car back to CS again. A few days later I get the car back and now the car has a whirling/grinding sound to it when I start it up. If I press the clutch in, the sound goes away.
It goes away after the car warms up after a few miles afterwards.

So now I have to drive it BACK to CS to get that fixed. He said it was probably a drive shaft bearing or something. So now I have to drop another ~300 on top of the ~$1000 before.

So now the car makes the same wierd noise AFTER the car warms up. WTF?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!Everything was fine for a while but then 1-2 weeks ago the noise came back.
Again when I press the clutch in, the noise goes away 1-2 seconds when i hold the clutch down.

I don't want to deal with CS again. Does anyone have a clue wtf is wrong with the car?

I think its the clutch making the noise. Someone people don't resurface the flywheel or replace it and that's the reason for the noise. This happened to my Vw Golf when I replaced my clutch but didnt resurface the flywheel.

sounds like the throw out bearing to me, cause when you put pressure on it from pushing the clutch in it goes away, but when no pressure is applied its free to make noise.

flywheel was resurfaced and a 2nd throw out bearing was put in. bearings replaced. Might have to find a used tranny or something

Were all the bearings in the transmission replaced? When you start it up and it makes the grinding noise that means that your main shaft bearings are bad or are not properly installed causing stress or premature wear on the bearings in your trans... Sounds to me like the guy just has no Idea what hes doing or he is trying to rip you off.

He also may have put the wrong type of fluid in the trans..

I have rebuilt 3 mazda protege transmissions and havent had this problem occur before.

If he did install new bearings ask him if he torqued the main shafts with a impact. If so that will/can cause stress and wear and can even shatter a bearing.

Sounds like he installed the lsd and when he was putting your trans back together he used a impact all in a rush to finish and crushed your main shaft bearings. Sounds like he is sticking you.

good luck

Last edited:
Well I got tired of trying to figure it out. You may be right Me-a-ta.

I just traded the headache in and am now driving an S2000.

Damn well I guess that price that they quoted me to take apart my transaxle to put in the speedo gear drive is now going to the new air compressor to do it my self. I can do it I just wanted to be lazy.

Back