Installed a Corksport Downpipe today...

Element

Had some time today to attempt the downpipe install, and I must say it was an interesting experience. Corksport customer service is awesome. Shipping was quick, especially to Canada, and price was resonable.

Anyways got the install done in about 4 hours. I was worried about breaking the O2 sensors, but they both came out nicely. Just use the right tools and you will be fine. The only thing that I was concerned with in the end was the loss of the heat shield from the stock downpipe, but I'm sure everything will be fine.

On first start up after the install, there was some smoke, however it dissipated quickly. I believe the smoke was just crap burning off from the new pipe. I took the car for a quick rip and WOW the cars pulls so much harder now. You can feel the torque and power boost on the butt dyno for sure. It's the middle of winter here so traction is obviously an issue at stock power levels, but once the car hooks it just pulls and pulls and pulls. I took a friend for a rip without telling him what was done, and he was like "WTF did you do to your car?!?"

Now a huge plus is the sound the car makes. You notice a little more cabin noise, but it is not overbearing at all. The turbo also noticeably spools up quicker. With the windows down, you can hear the turbo spool up much clearly, and the car has a nice rumble to it. It also made my BPV sound louder.

I'm going to keep an eye out for smoke, but I think that because I still have my midpipe cat I wont see any. Also I don't have any CEL. I think I'm going to get the Corksport Midpipe, and have a Cat welded in. Next up Corksport FMIC.

Good to hear

I have a corksport mid-pipe; love it AND the sound.

I plan on a CS down-pipe very soon. And yes...the right tools is the key!

Let us know how the mid-pipe works for ya and I will let ya know about my DP...plus the AP, stage 2!

nice job man, yeah you might notice some funny smell at first with the pipe being broken in. One thing I would check, when I did mine the top 02 sensor wire was resting on the DP itself so I just got some insulating metal tape and taped it to the firewall just to be safe and make sure nothing melted. With that heat shield gone the wire may get pretty hot resting directly on the DP.

nice job man, yeah you might notice some funny smell at first with the pipe being broken in. One thing I would check, when I did mine the top 02 sensor wire was resting on the DP itself so I just got some insulating metal tape and taped it to the firewall just to be safe and make sure nothing melted. With that heat shield gone the wire may get pretty hot resting directly on the DP.

I noticed the o2 sensor wire right away when I finished up the install and secured it against the firewall as well. There is plenty of space around it so I don't think it will melt anytime soon.

I do notice a little bit of a weird smell in the cabin, but it is very faint. I assume this will go away after a while.

wierd smells for a little is normal. i secured my o2 wire with a screw and bolt to the heat shield against the fire wall with the stock wire holder screw thingy. lol. im scientific i know. i love the increase in power. i couldnt believe it. although i forgot long ago what it was like before. thats why im buying an ap.

MORE POWER!!!! AHR AHR AHR!!!!! (all rights to that saying go to Tim the tools man Taylor)

Be careful when installing these corksport DPs. I'm having to take mine off this weekend to bend part of the dp. It hits the wastegate and keeps it from opening all the way. Causing a boost spike. Mine spikes to 19-20psi. Here's some pics.

csdpms3.jpg

DPrub2.jpg

You can see on the last pic that the wastegate is hitting this piece.

Was it just the boost spike that alerted you to this problem? Also I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing in the second pic, is it the Silver looking portion?

Last edited:
thats what i though. i havent noticed any real boost spikes in mine and hell, if i did i wouldnt want to take the whole damn thing apart again anyways. once i get it in i hate doing rework. makes for a very unpleasant experience. lol.

Was it just the boost spike that alerted you to this problem? Also I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing in the second pic, is it the Silver looking portion?

Yes the spike alerted someone else to the problem. Just so happens that I have the same spike. I will be checking mine this weekend. And yes it's the silver looking part where the wastegate flapper has been hitting it.

thats what i though. i havent noticed any real boost spikes in mine and hell, if i did i wouldnt want to take the whole damn thing apart again anyways. once i get it in i hate doing rework. makes for a very unpleasant experience. lol.

Yeah doing the work over again sucks. I'm not looking forward to it.

Most people do not have this problem. But alot do and do not know that it could be the DP causing it.

newer pipes have the problem with the boost spike eliminated through a redesign of that troublesome section

how is the install on a scale of 1 - 10 ?

1 being the hardest, mine was a 3. It sucked. But if I had to do it over again I could do it in 3-4 hours tops. Both of my sensors stripped out. Yeah. One costs $400, the other was around $200ish (if I remember right). Then the corksport dp, the holes weren't drilled out right. So I had to drill out one of the holes more to get it to fit.

It wasn't a pleasant experience.

Had some time today to attempt the downpipe install, and I must say it was an interesting experience. Corksport customer service is awesome. Shipping was quick, especially to Canada, and price was resonable.

Anyways got the install done in about 4 hours. I was worried about breaking the O2 sensors, but they both came out nicely. Just use the right tools and you will be fine. The only thing that I was concerned with in the end was the loss of the heat shield from the stock downpipe, but I'm sure everything will be fine.

On first start up after the install, there was some smoke, however it dissipated quickly. I believe the smoke was just crap burning off from the new pipe. I took the car for a quick rip and WOW the cars pulls so much harder now. You can feel the torque and power boost on the butt dyno for sure. It's the middle of winter here so traction is obviously an issue at stock power levels, but once the car hooks it just pulls and pulls and pulls. I took a friend for a rip without telling him what was done, and he was like "WTF did you do to your car?!?"

Now a huge plus is the sound the car makes. You notice a little more cabin noise, but it is not overbearing at all. The turbo also noticeably spools up quicker. With the windows down, you can hear the turbo spool up much clearly, and the car has a nice rumble to it. It also made my BPV sound louder.

I'm going to keep an eye out for smoke, but I think that because I still have my midpipe cat I wont see any. Also I don't have any CEL. I think I'm going to get the Corksport Midpipe, and have a Cat welded in. Next up Corksport FMIC.

Well, I installed this PITA this past weekend. The easiest part was removing the DP bolts and O2 sensor...the hardest part was deciding on the right parts to connect the DP to the CS because Corksport sent bolts that were to short...

Long short of it is I get a lot of smoke for the first 5 minutes but only when I am idle for those 5 minutes.

I also get a lot of rattle from something that sounds like is under my passenger side floor but I can't find the freak'n source. It fuckn sucks...kinda of like having a loud sub but because of the rattle it causes, you'd rather not have it...

I boost spike to almost 22psi...with stock bpv...also TBE now :)

I do notice good power but with the smoke and rattle...it aint worth it as of now...I will get a OCC but if that doesn't work, I may revert back to stock.

The smoking is killing me though...why would having a CS DP cause smoking?

Mine was hitting, also. I saw it when I took it off to heat wrap it. I used a file and ground down that piece of metal...hopefully I took off enough to where it's not hitting anymore.

Mine was hitting, also. I saw it when I took it off to heat wrap it. I used a file and ground down that piece of metal...hopefully I took off enough to where it's not hitting anymore.

Are you still getting a spike? Because I bent mine pretty good and the spike went away completely. It hits 16.5 and stays.

Back