Rod Bolts Little Known Fact

ogsp5

225 whp @ 8psi
:
2002 p5 (MSP Powered)
Did you know that the standard rod blot on the F.S engine elongates under acceleration. And even worse when boost is applied. This is one of the main reasons our engines go. Mack from Emerald Performance who has done my engine install, has spoken to some of the best engine builders in Aust.(nailbyt) They have re built many blown engines with this fault.
This was what happened to my engine, you could loosen the bolts on the #2 and 3 rod. So if anyone who is running their original block, you are driving on borrowed time. So by the time you hear it. It's too late.(attn)
I would suggest to take the time pull the lower part of your engine and check your rod bolts. And if you can up grade to ARP and new bearings.

The rods are also very very weak by design. The bolts may stretch, but the rod itself remains the biggest problem.

Does ARP make a suitable replacement?

Yes...ARP does.
They come with your new Forged Rods.

(In other words.....No need to swap out bolts unless you are going to do the rods)

That's my point, its a waste of money to put ARP bolts into OEM rods.

That is so true, but in these economic hard times this might be a fix. It would be cheaper to do so, get a proper tune and drive till you can do a complete forged engine.
But the question still is still around, did the loose bolts cause the rod to slap the block and bend or pot a hole in the block ?

That is so true, but in these economic hard times this might be a fix. It would be cheaper to do so, get a proper tune and drive till you can do a complete forged engine.
But the question still is still around, did the loose bolts cause the rod to slap the block and bend or pot a hole in the block ?
Simple answer is no.
It would trash a bearing First...and Unless it COmes apart...I doubt it would..or could , hit the block with the bolts still in place.

Point taken. It was just a thought.
Its ok....But trashing a bearing could lead to it locking up, bending a rod to the point it breaks and sending it through the block.

But just being loose wont allow it to hit the block....SO it would all still come down to bearing failure.

Back