2006+ Mazda5 Maintenance Tasks: Do It Yourself

How do you dispose of an oil filter properly? I brought my used oil to Autozone, but I'm not sure what to do with the filter.

BTW thanks OP for posting this howto. I changed my oil today... first oil change I've ever done in my life!

honestly if you guys have one and dont go crazy with it a normal pipe wrench (monkey wrench) works just fine and has not messed up the plstic housing on my car, yet it gives me the extra lil leverage i need to get the cap off.

currently im running ROYAL PURPLE 5W-20 and a mazda filter.

Why yes... yes I do. Plus, the plastic in that whole area is so floppy that I STILL can't get the screw out. It's just gonna have to run this way. If that belly pan flops down and gets ripped completely off... well, what can you do?

Duct Tape to the rescue.

jonyblaze87 - I'm running the same oil in my car. Good stuff. I bought a case of it online before their prices skyrocketed. The local Wal-Mart stopped carrying it too. How much did you pay per qt?

Mazda5 Maintenance Tasks. Do It Yourself (Ongoing Thread)

I thought it would be helpful/useful if we all pooled our resources together and listed what maintenance items we do ourselves rather than taking into a dealership/service station for. Some are obvious (like refilling wiper fluid, changing wipers) but others are not (changing oil, transmission fluid).

I am pretty ignorant when it comes to maintaining my car myself so anything would help. Thanks.

How to change oil?

How to change transmission fluid? How often?

How to change steering fluid? How often?

You mean just a list of what we do ourselves, or a How-To for them? I think the How-To thing is a good idea. I'm sure that would be very useful for many people.

The changing your own oil (engine oil) one is just a few topics down in this very sub-forum.

I will soon be changing/cleaning the interior air system filter. I purchased a new one in case the old one is really dirty. I don't think it will be too hard. The filters were about $25 for the pair. I'll try to take pictures. Looks like you just take a cover off and then the filters slide out and you slide the new ones in one at a time. I guess the hole is only big enough to slide one in at a time.

My list of things I can do would be a little more than most on the forum so perhaps we should start a wish list instead?

I have done the oil change, tire rotation, transmission drain and fill and a few other little things already. It's nice to have a car you don't have to work on very much. (I just repair stuff at work.)

All right guys, stickied the thread and changed the title a little. It is now up to you to post some valuable stuff :D

I would suggest to post regular maintenance tasks only, not enhancements or fixes as it will lose its purpose.

Any comments, please let me know

HOW TO CHECK if Dealer forgot to return shields.

These cannot be found in workshop manual.

PICT0003.JPG

There is more at http://users.accesscomm.ca/gerryc/mazda5_001

BTW, when you check your mazda5 under belly, please let me know if mine is missing something.

Last edited:
cool

Bump:
I forgot to mention that if you see other maintenance threads already posted valuable I can merge them here as well (glare)

When you do your own oil changes, be sure to keep receipts as well as dates / mileage of when the changes were done, at least for the first three years / 36,000 miles. Just in case you need warranty work done; they may not ask for it but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

I need to pick up some oil changing supplies. Where can I find the best price on the Mazda OEM filters in bulk (8 or 10 filters) as well as the crush washers? I might as well buy a replacement plastic housing and an OEM filter wrench while I’m at it.

Service at the dealership?=ripoff!!!!!

Hey there. I have a question. I'm leasing a mazda 5 07 with the intention of buying it at the end. Now every time I bring the car to do the service appointment I receive bills of $200 and $300 for a simple 6 months inspectio or whatever.
Last week I went to midas and asked for prices and I was realy surpriised to notice that for example,to change the tires at Mazda it costed me $120 while at mazda is $60. The oil change (5W20) at mazda is costing me $80 while at midas is only 49 with the courtesy package included.
Now my question is ,since the car is under leasing, am I obliged to do the service appointments every 6 months at the dealership or can I just do them at midas and keep the bills just in case. Will this void the warranty???(I have also the extended warranty!!! this suckers got me good!!).
I use the car mostly to go to to work and an occasional trip down to the states to surf (I live in Montreal)
Thanks in advance for your help

Hey there. I have a question. I'm leasing a mazda 5 07 with the intention of buying it at the end. Now every time I bring the car to do the service appointment I receive bills of $200 and $300 for a simple 6 months inspectio or whatever.
Last week I went to midas and asked for prices and I was realy surpriised to notice that for example,to change the tires at Mazda it costed me $120 while at mazda is $60. The oil change (5W20) at mazda is costing me $80 while at midas is only 49 with the courtesy package included.
Now my question is ,since the car is under leasing, am I obliged to do the service appointments every 6 months at the dealership or can I just do them at midas and keep the bills just in case. Will this void the warranty???(I have also the extended warranty!!! this suckers got me good!!).
I use the car mostly to go to to work and an occasional trip down to the states to surf (I live in Montreal)
Thanks in advance for your help

(wow) thats crazy pricing! most of my servicings (at the dealer) rune around $50. My last one (the 72,000km AND 74,000km Oil change) cost a grant total of $359 including new front brake pads! What kind of work are you having done that is costing $2-300 per visit?

The Oil change should only cost $50, at $80 are you asking them to use Full Synthetic? $120 to change the tires could be pretty expensive depending on what you mean by "change tires" if they are rotating them the nit should only cost $12 or so (I have have them do it at each oil change, otherwise my oil change bill would only be $34!!) If they are switching between summer and winter tires on the same rim (bad idea by the way!) then it should only be around 50-60 to do all 4 tires. I think you're wither having more servicing done than needed or getting a bit ripped off!

This is what they did:
Change oil
Change filter
Verify lights and honk
Check and rotate tires
Check the windshield wipers
Check the level on the automatic transmission (even though I have a standard)
Check for leaks on cluthc, brakes,steering wheel
Check air filter
Lubrify locks
Check the wheel cilinders,
Cleaning lubrification and adjustment of the brakes
Lubrify hubs and wheels
Check air conditioning
Check the wheel rotule
Check suspension and direction
According to them this is recommended by manufacturer
All this cost $151.56 CAD + taxes
Then I instaled and blanced the winter tires and for that they charged me $99.95+taxes.
Well that was the last service and I paid $317.42 which seems to me a bit excessive.
I called them and they told me that my nest service should be less expensive cause the'll be doing less things to the car but the truth is that the first service I paid $89, the second $127, the third317.42...god knows up to where this is going to go, that's why my question:can I just simply ignore this by yearly checkups and just do them at my local garage???
Thanks again

Back