2006+ Mazda5 Maintenance Tasks: Do It Yourself

So is the mazda filter wrench (part# AKS75140) specified in the OP the right tool for the job or not? (uhm)

I dunno, but you could always do what I do and buy the 3 main filter wrench sizes and an adjustable one from autozone. Total cost is like $15 and you can basically change any car's oil.

I dunno, but you could always do what I do and buy the 3 main filter wrench sizes and an adjustable one from autozone. Total cost is like $15 and you can basically change any car's oil.

I got the adjustable one to do the first oil change, but it wasn't as easy as an appropriately sized filter wrench would be.

Thanks to the OP!!!

Just finished my first oil change and this DIY made the procedure painless.

Just to confirm, the #7 oil filter wrench that OP used does work, but it seems to have a little bit too much play. I guess the upside is that one can't over-tighten the cap because it seems like the wrench will eventually slip.

Now just have to send in the oil to Blackstone to see how the factory fill held up to the first OCI.

First Engine Oil change

Please let me know how it works out for you!

Finally got the process done. Use Castrol Syntec Blend (36,340 miles) 5w-20 and K & N engine oil filter (special order by Advance Auto for $10 bucks and change). The 74/76 mm Ampro cup wrench did not work for me. It slips. Ended up using channel lock pliers which was much easier. Since I love taking out the splash guard anyway (makes me check other sections for leaks/potential damage), channel lock pliers works fine. Just place a piece of cloth on the grip area for a better bite. No crush ring on the oil filter kit but I checked around the area after a week of driving and no signs of oil sippage. Torqued the oil filter housing to hand tight and no leaks there either. Thanks you all for this thread.

I just used a cutter and fabricated a hole in the splash guard to make easy access.

I did find out that you can buy the Motorcraft filter at Walmart (FL2017B) for about $3.69 and the Fram equivelent (I believe the CH95??) is about $8.89.

Since Ford and Mazda are related, I went with the Motorcraft and my usual Mobil1 5W20.

So is this procedure pretty much exactly the same for a Mazdaspeed3? I've got my box of OEM filters, filter wrench, and 6 qts. of Pennzoil Platinum on the way. Gonna strap on the goggles and get to it this weekend! (breakn)

So is the mazda filter wrench (part# AKS75140) specified in the OP the right tool for the job or not? (uhm)

I have the OEM tool now, and as someone posted fairly recently: Yes, the OEM tool listed is the correct one. It's a little loose (nominally 1.5mm bigger, IIRC?), but not as though it won't grip it or anything. It did a whole lot better last weekend than my previous method of stuffing a bunch of shop towels inside a too-big filter wrench!

OEM filter wrench is the way to go. No problems so far. Anyone cracked the plastic filter housing yet? I've noticed a few online retailers are selling them.

Mine poped like it cracked (I'm sure it did somewhere) but I couldn't find anything and it doesn't leak. Perhaps we should have a link to the replacement parts in this thread?

Mazda P/N for the 5's oil filter 'kit' (meaning, filter element and o-rings only):

L321-14-302-9U

The part number listed in the link above (L321-14-300A-9U) is for the whole assembly (filter, o-rings, inner cage, drain plugn and housing), and it's 2-3 times the money.

Back