burning 2 much gas

ONDA82

:
1990 Mazda Protege LX DOCH
every time I turn the car on in the morning to warm up I notice that is burning to much gas, and I can smell it when i first turn it on, I gave it a tune up about 1 1/2 months. the car is a 90 protege lx DOCH. Any ideas?
(dunno)

The car should be in closed loop when you start it up. It takes my prot about 10-15 min to warm up, if its takin too long to warm up, ur thermostat might be stuck open.

My prot takes about the same time to warm up, but it just burns more gas than before and I can't figure out why...

1st gens have a known gas tank leak problem. i notice the same smell a good amount. I recently garaged it with a full tank but id occasionaly move it around my shop. I drove it one time then parked it, its down to about a quarter tank now having been parked for 3 months. i really think i have a leak as well.

See I don't think I have a leak I think is just waisting alot of gas, but I'm going to lift the car this weekend and take a look to see if is leaking. if anything I'll post some pictures.

If it was leaking youd def smell it. You might want to ck for codes and see if some sensor is out, how much gas is it using? What was ur old MPG and ur NEW MPG?

U know what now that Umention it when I just turn the car on in the morning
the engine light goes on but as soon as I star driving it turns off, it only does it when the car is cold. U think that it has something to with my problem?

Yes it does, there must be a sensor not working right at startup. Id pull the code and see what it gives you.

Similar prob with my son's 1997 SE. CEL stayed on and the car went down to 20mpg. Turned out to the a faulty fuel pressure regulator....Codes took a while to analyze. She's working fine now.

So "obd1" is the code for the sencor that is going bad? sorry my ? may sound stupid but I not to familiar with car codes all I really familiar is mechanical stuff
so if some body can xplain a little more on what this means..
(crazy)
Thanks..

OBD1 is On Board Diag, with the OBD1 system, each car make has its own connector, with OBD2, they all have the same connector, and use the same reader, in a sense. Im not quite sure where Mazda has their obd1 connector so you might want to do some research. There should be no OBD2 pre 96. At least I have never seen it.

The check engine light and a few other are suppose to come on when you start it then they turn of in a sec. If that's what you're seeing then you don't have a check light on.

How old is your o2 sensor? (Talking to the 1g protege owner)

Well the car is a 1990 and I have no idea if its even the original one or if it was replaced..

Back