Thermostat problem

rapter

Contributor
:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 Grand touring
hey well my sister just got my 2001 2.0L protege and banm problem.
No heat is coming out anywhere. LIKE NONE/ A/C works fine but no heat.

The most recent thing i just did on the car was plug in a new ipod adaptor for the Deck and i used the 1 power wire and a GND wire.

Anyways i hardly doubt that, that has anything to do with no heat.

I would just assume that its a non working thermostat.

any other opinions, ill do it tonmorrow, never done it before but looks easy and simple.

thxs

The thermostat is super easy. The lower radiator hose is attached to a water neck; that water neck bolts to the thermostat housing with two (12mm?) bolts. Drain the coolant from the radiator, then unbolt those two bolts and pop the water neck off (you can leave the hose attached to it). The thermostat sits in that housing snugly with a rubber gasket ring--mine took a good yank to pop out of the housing. Remove the rubber gasket ring from the old thermostat, and put it on the new one (it will make sense when you see it), and put everything back together, done.

Also, while you've got your head in there, check the inner accessory belt that drives the water pump, and make sure the water pump pulley is spinning smoothly with the engine running. It's possible, though less likely, that the water pump is failing.

if you are talking about the coolant thermo stat, how long does it take for the motor to warm up??

Oh normal, the motor warms up in a normal amount of time.
Just no heat coming out of my vents, even when driving after 30 mins or so.

sweet yeah man, seems easy. thanks

Oh normal, the motor warms up in a normal amount of time.
Just no heat coming out of my vents, even when driving after 30 mins or so.

sweet yeah man, seems easy. thanks

Is the engine running hot?

Lol well i fixed the problem. I changed the thermostat wiht a new one, then i drained all the collant out, i flushed it with water, and put new coolant in.

result = NOTHING! lol but......... i did figure out what it was.
i was driving i opened up the glove compartment and there is a plastic latch that is moving by a wire which in turn goes to the knob in the car.

when i turned the know all the way to cold the plastic latch moved all the way left, GOOD!. but when i turned it right to HOT it went about half way and stopped, so when i moved it myself BANM HOT AIR BABY! lol

so i figured it does have to do with the stupid ipod thing cause i tie rapped the wires to the wire latch. MY MISTAKE. lol

but now i re-did the whole system , so now when my sister gets the car next week its like BRAN NEW!.

Thanks guys for all your input.

Last edited:
The thermostat is super easy. The lower radiator hose is attached to a water neck; that water neck bolts to the thermostat housing with two (12mm?) bolts. Drain the coolant from the radiator, then unbolt those two bolts and pop the water neck off (you can leave the hose attached to it). The thermostat sits in that housing snugly with a rubber gasket ring--mine took a good yank to pop out of the housing. Remove the rubber gasket ring from the old thermostat, and put it on the new one (it will make sense when you see it), and put everything back together, done.

Also, while you've got your head in there, check the inner accessory belt that drives the water pump, and make sure the water pump pulley is spinning smoothly with the engine running. It's possible, though less likely, that the water pump is failing.

Bump.

Does the water neck need a gasket? My old water neck had one on it. The new one I ordered off RockAuto did not & AutoZone could not find one for it. (help)

When you replace the head unit make sure all the a/c cables are back in there place, if there not clipped in right the cams wont turn on the heat

Back