3 finalists to replace the Duellers

Have 20,000k on my Duellers.
Dealer says I have 4/32 on back tires, and 5/32 on front tires.
Probably going to need to replace my 4 tires in another 5k miles.

Planning on purchasing the Prada-X when I'm due.
Is 25,000 miles probably the norm for the Prada's?
Depending on your driving habits of course.

Deuler is rated 260 (UTQG rating), while Parada Spec-X is rated at 420.
By projection, if you Deuler last 25K miles, the Spec-X should last 41K for your driving.

^ I agree. Most people say it is idotic to compare UTQG between manufacturers, but I think that it is a no brainer that the 400 Parada Spec X would outlast a 260 Dueler H/L.

Btw, I will be going for the Parada Spec X in OEM 245/50/20 size instead of the 255/50/20. There's a 3lbs weight difference per tire and I do not want more strain on my puny 3.5L engine.

I see some comments but not much for the Pirelli Scorpion STR A.

Anyone else usng this tire, or additonal comments regarding this type tire compared to the Yoko Spec-X?

I see on tirerack that the Pirelli are going for $99 each compared to Yoko's $159 each as of today.

Sounds like a good deal for the Pirelli, but you get what you pay for.

The Pirelli are also coming in on the tirerack site as UTQG: 520AA.
Might last longer than the 420 AA Yoko?
Another postive perhaps.

But the Pirelli is has a T rating, compared to the V for the Yoko.
Not sure if performace would suffer on the CX9 AWD GT with a T tire.

I live in Northeast PA. Alot of snow during the winter though.

Any additonal thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Speed rating is not so much a concern since T-rated is good for more than 118mph (sustained speed). H-rated is good for 130mph. V-rate is probably 149mph. Our CX9 has top-speed of 119mph.

That said, the "Survey Result" of Pirelli Scorpion STR-A is not as good as that of the Parada Spec-X. However, $99 is pretty low price (special pricing). It is your call. The thing I dislike about OE Dueler is the on-snow handling. I will not risk buying another one that is as lousy on snow.

Last edited:
This won't help you folks riding on 20", but I immediately replaced the Bridgestones upon buying my '08 Sport AWD with Continental Cross Contact LX's. With 45K now on my 9, I still have between 7 and 8/32's of tread left. I was so concerned about the negative reviews on the Dueller that I didn't even want to waste my time with them. I've been very happy with the Conti's in all respects.....and considering they only cost about $100 each for the 18", it is a heck of a steal. Granted, I do 90% highway driving, the treadlife I'm experiencing is higher than most would see, but I don't think the Dueller would have ever lasted this long.

So, if you're riding on 18's, keep the Continentals in mind as an inexpensive replacment option!

Wow, that's amazing you've been able to keep the Contis so long. No Continental tire I've ever owned has lasted over 20,000 miles.

Continental Cross Contact has tread wear index of 680.
It should last quite long compared to other.
$105 is great price also (compared to $153 of Parada Spec-X).
The reviews/survey looks decent also.
However, not for 20" GT wheels.

Wow, that's amazing you've been able to keep the Contis so long. No Continental tire I've ever owned has lasted over 20,000 miles.

Really? I've had several models of Continentals and have actually had really good luck with them.....but again, I do almost all highway. I had 60K on my Continental Contacts on my Passat when I replaced them. I had a set of Semperit Snow tires (made by Continental) which were actually a good A/S tire.

Continental Cross Contact has tread wear index of 680.
It should last quite long compared to other.
$105 is great price also (compared to $153 of Parada Spec-X).
The reviews/survey looks decent also.
However, not for 20" GT wheels.

Like you, I utilize the Tire Rack reviews/surveys for information before I buy. I've noticed that when a new tire comes out, sometimes it quickly rises to the top because there's not enough real data or life-long tire experience to get truly valuable information. I've seen more than a few tires go to the top of the list and then slowly sink as more people own the tire longer and send in their reviews. It's always a good idea to check the 'miles reported' column to make sure the data isn't erroneously skewed by a newbie tire release with people getting caught up in the initial hype.

But, no regrets at all on the Contact LX's. It's too bad they don't make them in the 20" size for the rest of the 9 owners, as another option for you.

4wardmotion,
True. I usually rule out the tires with very few miles reviewed (last column).
When a tire is new at tirerack.com, it starts at the top, then it slowly sinks as number of total miles reviewed grows.
Trust only those with many miles reviewed.

Back