3 finalists to replace the Duellers

Three of the four models of Toyota's new Venza come with 245/50/20 tires. More options in brands and styles hopefully will be a result this size becoming a frequent OME.

Three of the four models of Toyota's new Venza come with 245/50/20 tires. More options in brands and styles hopefully will be a result this size becoming a frequent OME.

Out of curiosity, what is Toyota using as the OEM tires in this size?

And FWIW, Mazda nav has a calibration function to compensate for non-OEM sizes, it should probably be run after each tire changeover, no matter what the size.

Venza comes with Goodyear RS-A, possibly the only 'all-season' tire that is worse in snow than the Bridgestones that come on the CX-9.

How can they be worse? Are they bald?

:D

They might as well be. Both my 2007 CX-7 and 2006 Mazda 3 GT came with the RS-A's. They are ok in dry conditions, but like driving on ski's in the winter. I really don't know how Goodyear can get away with putting M+S on this tire. Both sets were replaced by Nokian WR's with in the first month.

I went over to my favorite Discount Tire store to get a routine rotation and balance. I ended up buying their "certificates" which is basically their road hazard warranty which includes lifetime rotations and balances. Pretty good deal. Their website lists our tires under the "best" category. Hmmm....

I am in the process of trading up my Bridgestones to Hankook Ventus RH07 245/50/20. Since I live in the Northeast, I have to get off these OEM skates while I can.

I was only able to find one tire center that was willing to trade up. They recommended the Hankook as a better AS tire than the others on this list. The tread pattern looks much better than the Duellers.

The Hankooks are less well-known, but have a good following over in the Toureg and Murano forums. They are also $200 less per set than the Yokos, and $640 less than the Michelin Lattitudes....

RH07 Specs: Treadwear: 420 Traction: A Temperature: A Speed Rating: V

Since I have less than 400 miles on my tires now, I worked an OK trade-up, should be around $275 OTD for the set. I'll report out after I get them swapped out later in the week.

p.s. Padre Dave. Small world - I grew up in Chandler. I know exactly where your church is...

Attachments

• hanrh3.ang.jpg
    hanrh3.ang.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 200
I am guessing here.
Just by looking at the tire block pattern...
- many and wide center channels -> seam following on highway
- can't see saw tooth pattern/cut -> probably so-so on snow
My friend did his Ph.D desertation on tire block design. He told me one thing or two about it.

I am not afraid of buying Korean tires. I have used Kumho a couple of times on my BMW 5. They were good for the price I paid. Hankook is not as famous as Kumho (to me. at least), which also produces tires used in racing. Let us face it, tires are not really high-tech anymore. It is a matter of price, design and marketing.

Well, I got the Hankook RH07s installed this week.

So far, I am impressed. They seem as quiet as the Bridgestones, don't tramline on our rough and grooved highways, and handle the heavy rains we have been having lately with no issues.

Time will tell if they are decent in the snow, but at least I'm off the OEM tread for very little out-of-pocket.

Well, I got the Hankook RH07s installed this week.

So far, I am impressed. They seem as quiet as the Bridgestones, don't tramline on our rough and grooved highways, and handle the heavy rains we have been having lately with no issues.

Time will tell if they are decent in the snow, but at least I'm off the OEM tread for very little out-of-pocket.

Good to hear...I've been looking at these tires also. They have been getting good reviews at discounttiredirect.com.

Keep us updated.

If one is looking for a tire that works well one snow, make sure that it has
- saw-tooth patterns on the tire blocks. The more, the better.
- special winter compound that remain soft in cold temperature. Summer tire compound hardens up in cold temperature which renders it useless on snow.

All "all-season" tires are not equal. Some are more summer-oriented. The so-called "high-performance all season" falls in this category.

P.S. the saw-tooth pattern facilitates wear and creates noises. Quiet tires have varying sizes of tire blocks to cancel the harmonics of one another.

If one is looking for a tire that works well one snow, make sure that it has
- saw-tooth patterns on the tire blocks. The more, the better.
- special winter compound that remain soft in cold temperature. Summer tire compound hardens up in cold temperature which renders it useless on snow.

Sounds like you just described CX-9SportOwner's beloved Parada Spec X almost exactly!

I ordered Yokohamas from my favorite Discount Tire store today. The Bridgestones ride like rocks and I just had enough of them. Will report next week when they are on the car.

I just replaced the Bridgestone slicks with Pirelli STR-A's. They are smoother and quieter. I have separate winter wheels and tires, but these tires look like they would be capable in moderate winter conditions. Can't beat the $444 delivered from the Tire Rack + $77 install at the local Goodyear store.

Last edited:
Beloved is right. LOVE these Paradas! I'll repost here to show the differences.

If you compare them to other tires, particularly the Duelers, you can see the section of open block style tread reminiscent of a snow tire rather than the radial groove design, and the dual center rib.

Dueler H/l 400 - Latitude Tour HP - Hankook RH07 - Parada Spec X - Blizzak Snow

just had a thought - with the parada spec Xs, they appear to be unidirectional tires....so when it comes time for the good ol' balance/rotation, it'll only be a front/rear swap rather than front/rear/side to side swap right?

anyone know of any good tires that'll still allow for front/rear/side to side rotation of tires?

good to hear that the tires are doing well.

when doing your linear rotations front to back on the past set of tires - were there any concerns about inner or outer area of the tires wearing unevenly?

i guess this might have been more of a problem on my old coupe due to its camber?

I just put a set of 4 Michelin Latitudes 255/50/R20 on my CX-9 GT AWD. They are awesome so far.. do the calibration.. easy.. and get a good alignment. Mine was mostly in spec, but after narrowing the spec, the whole package is awesome.. Will report back after I get some run time on them.

Craig

At $278/per tire, I hope they are good.
According to this chart, it got worst review than the Yoko Parada Spec-X,
which is $160/per.
Note that those reviews were from customers (sure, some may be bogus)
I have purchased at least 5 sets of tires from tirerack.com. Their review system
is pretty useful, IMO. Trust the ones with more miles to avoid bogus reviews.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...dth=255/&ratio=50&diameter=20&tireSearch=true

Last edited:
ceric - We've got a long trip ahead of us over the next week or so.. I'll let you guys know. The ride is smooth and they absolutely put the Zoom back in the Zoom, Zoom, Zoom!

Latest posts

Back