its -25 my car wont start and my hood wont pop!

CE02P5

:
02 Protege 5
So it is freeeezing here today.... my front door to my house was frozen shut I had to run and drop kick it open LOL (good thing I rent this place) anyway get out to the P5 and she wont turn over just to cold... so go to pop the hood to give her a boost and when i pull the hood release it moves but the hood doesnt budge.. any tricks to get this fucker open???? Not to impressed right now... my roomates 96 stratus fired right up BAH... pretty sure i just need a new battery i think its the stocker from 02.... but any tricks to get the hood popped Im pushing down on it Im pulling up it is not going...

Hot water? (maybe get a pitcher full and pour around the edges of the hood) (dunno)

never thought of that good call!!.. I think the cable is just really cold and stiff and is probly not doin its job... I hate canadian winters...

If you can get someone to pull on the handle while you jiggle the hood and try and get your hand under there to grab the latch it could help.

Careful with hot water, there is a risk that you can crack the windshield or clear plastic from the sudden change in temp.

I boiled up some hot water and tossed it in the grill right onto the hood lock and bam she popped right open.... no damage done...

Now I see my battery is from 02, so time to get a new one... I hate winter!! :)

get a optima red top..about 130 bucks but it will last forever

Hells Yes!

Right now in WI its a high of -4 F. I bought the red top optima and my P5 starts in any weather.

The differences between the red and yellow is the yellow has a deep cycle. Which means, I think, you can run accessories longer without a charge.

Also, for the hood freezing, I would now spray some WD-40 on the hood latch to displace the water out of it.

just give it a little elbo... should smash off the ice.

my friggen doors wouldnt open... it felt like i was going to pull the handle right off.

could do the hot water... but you have to move fast. it doesnt take long for hot water to turn into ice at -30

just got an Energizer battery for her, got the upgraded one with 640 cold cranking amps... 89.99 at WalMart plus they gave me 10.00 for the shot one, I was gunna out it in, but they did it right then and there for free.. so Im set for the rest of this BS winter....

haha just wait till tomorrow man, supposed to be even colder then today. put some gas line antifreeze in your gas tank and fill it to the top. 3 canadian winters and shes started up everytime like a champ(rockon)

btw: sorry for the thread hijack but...i dont know about you but i have a huge buildup of slush that has turned to ice stuck in my front wheel wells. i can hear it scraping as i turn left or right. normally i can kick it off but its much to cold to do that, i fear if i kick it hard i will crack the fendor or something. any ideas on a way to get this off?

Last edited:
I'm in Ames, IA right now and it's -39 with the windchill. But you can bet your ass they won't cancel classes here at Iowa State University in the morning - so long as the President can get to campus in his 2009 Audi. :(

Well...my battery died this morning too :-(

Luckly, my boss lives near so she'll be able to pick me up ! (as long as her car starts :-S)

I just wanna know, how can you tell if the battery in the car is still the stock one ? I have smaller problems (light dims, etc) before but it's the first time since i have it that it actually dosn't start !

Thanx guys

the stock one is made by panasonic and has filler caps at the top

the battery you need to buy is a group 35

Thanx a lot ! Turns out it is the original battery and the cold front was pretty much the final death blow. It won't even start when boosting the car :-(

So i'm gonna try to get one of those red top battery and go from there

Damn winter !

Back