Pre-mod sanity check. Got questions!

TheRealDefman

:
2008 MS3
I'm already kind of light into the mods and came into a few $$ so I'm looking at more, thought I'd better pause to do a sanity check and ask some questions...

Car's purpose: Only car I own, daily driver to/from work, occasional road trip. It's a lease, so what ever is done has to be easily/quickly undone.

*What's done: Injen CAI, TRZ rear & tranny mounts.
*What on deck: SU TMIC (someone has to try it!), SU silicone tubes.
*What's next: Corksport mid-pipe, Cobb catback (I want quiet).
*Haven't thought much abouts: BPV, spark plugs, ECU tuning.

Questions:
1. I live in Austin, TX. Any problems passing emmisions with mid-pipe installed?
2. I don't know if I'm really interested in more boost, should I bother with the BPV?
3. ECU tunning (Cobb AP if I did) required? Good idea? Just icing on the cake?
4. If I'm not planning boost changes, any reason for colder plugs?
5. Will an exhaust shop install a mid-pipe since it deletes a cat?
6. How many donut gaskets for mid-pipe & catback install?

Comments:
Not interested in a full TBE, like the Cobb, since I don't wanna mess with fussy O2 sensors, broken/funky studs, etc.. My tolerance for bulls*** is getting low in my advanced age!

Pre-Thanks for ideas and constructive comments!

Last edited:
If it's a lease I would only do Cobb SRI, SU TP, MM and Forge BPV and be done. These things are easy on/off and can be sold easily when removed.

I would go BPV before all that other stuff. Stay bolt on/off if you have the bank or the dealer still crawling up your ass.

Don't worry about the test pipe. It's not going to do much for you without the addition of a downpipe. It makes the exhaust a little louder, but doesn't free up many HP. Go with the BPV and get a DashHawk if you don't have one

^^^ all three

Thanks... seems I was overlooking something important! Didn't mention it, but I do have a Dashhawk.

So I'm doing improvements on getting air into the engine, nothing easy to help get it out?

Nothing easy, no. I mean, the test pipe is easy but you're going to see minimal gains. A CBE will give you almost no power increase...only sound. Downpipe is the best piece, but it's expensive and hard to install. I'd just do the intake and save up for a flash (AP would work well in your case, I think).

I like your mod strategy. Im also looking to get some of the same parts you mentioned. Im trying to avoid the DP, but if you want POWAH, that where the moneys at.

Back