for those running their HKS bov on VTA

essejkcamraw

Contributor
:
09 mazdaspeed 3
this has more than likely been discussed a million times (deadhorse i heard running it on vta can cause it to backfire.. true or false? any downsides? just wondering. i have the recirc fitting...i like the sound of it on vta but if its gonna run like crap i wont bother. so chime in guys!

I had my HKS ssqv on VTA for 3 months, and no CEL. Yes, you will backfire occasionally. Shifting is jerky too. For example when reversing it feels like its bogged out and wants to die. Other than jerky shifts and backfires thats really it.... You might screw up your cats in the long run.

i hate to be rude, but this thread is only like 5 down from yours...

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123729970

it has some info on what happens in VTA as well as links to other forums on how to run in VTA w/ no problems.. a search would have nipped this one in the bud for sure

good luck though, im local and running a turbosmart in hybrid if you ever wanna look into something louder than your hks, just hit me up

i hate to be rude, but this thread is only like 5 down from yours...

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123729970

it has some info on what happens in VTA as well as links to other forums on how to run in VTA w/ no problems.. a search would have nipped this one in the bud for sure

good luck though, im local and running a turbosmart in hybrid if you ever wanna look into something louder than your hks, just hit me up

yeah, my bad. i just got my hks earlier an popped the recirc fitting on and left. and was thinking about it. so when i got home i posted up. didnt even look through. (chair) (stupid me)prolly stick with recirc though....not worth the car runnin like a turd for some sound.

Last edited:
I have a HKS on mine in VTA and I rarely have any backfire. The only time I have noticed any thing is when I shift at real low rpms. right around 2k. It's a rare thing also for it to do it. My car idles fine, no CLE, no sputtering. As far as jerky shifting...I'd say the only one I have a bit of a problem with is going into second. I think it's mostly how I shift though because the more I drive with the car this way the smoother it is getting. Granted I don't have but a few hundred miles with the VTA going but it seems fine to me.

Back