In Memory of Member 1338
In Memory of Member 1338
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad Wheel Bearing?

Donated: $5

Blue MP3/06 MPV

I vote passenger bearing. Also like slavrenz said though, you might want to get the correct torque spec and check the driver's side too.
    Installed: EVO style CF hood and decklid, Buddy Club 2 sideskirts and rear bumper, DG front lip, iSport CF ADP, Daveb brushed gauge rings, AWR front motor mount, SLS Pass mount, medieval LW pullies, K&N CAI with custom ram air tube, TWM ss w/ weighted knob, Mazda Racing 4-2-1 header, Magnaflow custom exhaust, NGK long reach plugs, AXR "clunk fix" bracket, HID conversion, "Dual" headunit, MP3 seatbelt pads, smoked fender lights, painted/smoked tails, yellow calipers, ground wire kit, Braille 15 lb battery, Redlinegoods shift/e-brake boots, slotted/drilled rotors
    #683 (bluemp3) Need some upgrades for your pro? Be sure to check out my FOR SALE page.

'02 P5/2 Audi A4s

Bad CVs make a clicking noise when turning, get underneath look at the cv boots see if they're torn. Bad bearings usually hum, moreso at hwy speeds when they first start going, then make a scraping sound when turning the car, near the end of their life. If the bearings are real bad there will be a small amount of play when you grab the tire and push/pull against it. A misbalanced or bad tire will create a shake in the steering wheel.How many miles on the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzar177 View Post
    could be the cv joint
    Last edited by br289165; 01-11-2009 at 06:03 AM.

2002 Protege 5

It's the wheel bearings I just had mine replace. The noise was coming from both driver and passenger side. The wheels bearing are supposed to be packed but tech gave my wheel bearings back split in half with grease all over. You can check by moving your wheel around when jacked. Also, it makes a thump, thump, thump x1000 while driving and get vibrating while breaking. Labor cost alone was $260 for both sides.

Mazda MP3

ya that sounds almost like what mines doing. k so it is the wheel bearing. p5mojo did you do both bearings or just one?

i know its not the cv axles. i have no play in the wheel when i have it jacked. the driver side spins free'r than the passenger side. and ya ill probably try to retorque the nuts.

'02 P5/2 Audi A4s

How many miles on the bad bearings
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

AznXstazy, did changing the bearings solve your problem? I think I have the same problem on my speed6.

Donated: $15

2001 Mazda MP3

I had to change out my passenger-front wheel bearing a couple of years back. It wasn't that cheap to do either. I had to buy a new hub spindle, because the shaft had been worn down by the bad bearing!
    Performance Mods:[Steedspeed v2. Turbo Manifold] [Precision PTE CEA 5130 Turbo] [Pope 3-inch Downpipe] [Molnar Forged Rods] [Wiseco Forged Pistons (9.1:1)] [NSN Motorsports Thermal Intake Manifold Spacer] [Haltech E6X Stand Alone] [Haltech Boost Controller] [2007 WRX 565cc Dark Blue Injectors] [AEM UEGO 30-4100 Wideband O2 Sensor] [Vibrant 3-inch TurboBack Exhaust with Custom 3-inch mid Pipe] [ ACT Z66-XTSS Clutch] [Fidanza Flywheel] [Synapse Synchronic BOV] [AWR Motor Mounts] [PWR High Performance Radiator PWR1306] [Mazdaspeed Oil Cooler ] [Tein SS Coilover Suspension ] Other Mods: [Intel Atom-based Touchscreen Car PC] [Defi D-Series Boost Gauge] [Nordskog Digital Fuel and Oil Pressure Gauges] [Dave B. Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings]
    The things we own will eventually end up owning us one way or another....

Registered Member

2012 CX-9 Touring

My 2012 CX-9 is making an intermittent low pitch whining noise. It has just under 36,000 miles on it. If I tap the brake or move the steering wheel a little to the right the noise stops for a short time, but then it starts up again. The noise gets louder if I move the steering wheel slightly to the left. The left rear wheel (driver's side) gets extremely hot. The pitch of the noise does not seem to change if I speed up or slow down. Could this be a wheel bearing? I wouldn't think tapping the brake would temporarily alleviate the problem if it is a wheel bearing.

Donated: $15

2001 Mazda MP3

Most likely it is a bearing. Keep in mind the rear wheel bearings are a part of an assembly of which the whole thing has to be replaced.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2002 Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by ggrab View Post
    As a general rule a bad bearing do not cause thumping type noises. A bad bearing usually exhibits a grinding or squealing type noise. Thumping noises could be a unbalanced wheel (as you already suspected) an out-of-round wheel/tire, or possibly a bad CV joint. Strange noises that come from the front and change dramatically with turning of the steering wheel often indicate problems with the CV joint.
    Partially agree with this because yes as a general rule it does not thump. However I have had them go bad....and due to my own knowing of what it was and how far I could push it it did begin to thump. However again this is only because I literally road the bearing 1 mile per day to and from work until I fixed it. It was so beat up by time I was done I almost lifted the wheel and hub off and out of the steering knuckle. NOT SAFE AT ALL. Do as I say and not as I do. It's a bearing pull it over and fix it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12