Slipping and sliding in the snow.

Why isn't it a fair fight? .... I haven't tested the CX-9 out yet on a snow covered highway going 60mph and cutting the wheel hard. It is kind of a risky test! But I used to do this all the time with my TT and M3 both with snow tires. It was amazing to me that those 2 cars just would never spin into 180s.

Are you suggesting it is a direct comparison -- a 3000lb low slung TT roadster that seats 2 versus a 4500 lbs behemoth that sits 7??

I haven't tested the CX-9 out yet on a snow covered highway going 60mph and cutting the wheel hard. It is kind of a risky test! But I used to do this all the time with my TT and M3 both with snow tires. It was amazing to me that those 2 cars just would never spin into 180s. Anyone care to try this with the CX-9? Post your results here!

This is EXACTLY what I pictured!!

watch

That SUV cleared needed stability control. It would have saved that vehicle and people in it from harm.

Are you suggesting it is a direct comparison -- a 3000lb low slung TT roadster that seats 2 versus a 4500 lbs behemoth that sits 7??

no, I am not suggesting a TT has handling comparable with a CX-9. However the specific action of jerking the steering wheel while driving on ice/snow to trigger a 180 spin/loss of control trigers the electronic stability control of both cars. At that point I imaging that the software and hardware of the stability control system has far more impact than any of the handling characteristics of these 2 cars. But I am no engineer and I am just speculating. What I do know is that the stability control on some other brands reacts sooner, and much faster than the Mazda system in the CX-9.
It would be interesting to compare the stability control of a small light Mazda 3 to the CX-9.

Unfortunately, we all still have to practice safe driving. All of these systems are only intended, and designed, to assist the driver. Not take over and drive the car when we do something stupid.

Any system can be overrun if you try.

By the way, are we comparing a CX9 with Blegstone Duelers to an Audi with snow tires? Because nothing can compensate for the horrible Duelers.

Last edited:
I am comparing all the cars I have driven in the snow that have stability control. For me it is: an M3 with snow tires, an Audi A6 with snows, a volvo v40 with snows, and a TT with All Seasons. They were all better systems except for the volvo which barely did anything except make a loud ca-chug ca-chug sound as it slowly applied ABS to various wheels.

I agree that stability control is only designed to assist the driver. But I for one want to know exactly what each system on my cars is capable of, so I always test whatever I can in test environments that are devoid of other vehicles. It is the same idea as testing your stopping ability in the rain with new tires. You can't argue with learning what your car can or can't do in an emergency.
Anyway, I am not complaining. The CX-9 stability control and Roll Assist have a huge impact on the safety of our cars in the snow, along with ABS and traction Control. So far I have only tested these features for fun but I know they are there just in case a deer jumps out in front of me on a curvy mountain road during a snowstorm. That is the time when you want all the help you can get.

Better than nothing, no doubt.
I'm still amazed at how much technology is in this car for the money. Things you normally have to pay a lot more to get. That's in addition to the more intelligent engineering and design than even the most expensive CUVs.

Back