Oil Catch Can

The ManLaw

The Manlaw of Want
:
15cx5 soon 20cx9
So me and a buddy just made a DiY oil catch can on my P5. From what he said, he gets on average 2mpg constant better on his car with one, so with a recorded 28.6 current highway mpg, i'll be making a nice trip up north to test out with the catch can on. If things improve then i'll post up a follow up and a full DiY post with pretty pics.

By the way its a fast and rather cheap ($22) or so mod, but its helpful with beers and mojito's!

Cleaner air is entering into the motor as a result of filtering out crankcase gases. Cleaner air = efficency which equals more MPG:)

and yes beer and mojito's are so much more helpful haha

especially since we cant get michelob Ultra lime cactus up in PA, thank god for florida vacations

^uhhh im still not getting it
air entering through the crankcase isn't even metered air so it wouldn't make any difference except give you a leaner fuel mixture and even then your o2 sensor would tell the computer to actually add more fuel

from my understanding an oil catch can is exactly that... it only catches oil and in no way going to improve your mpg

Last edited:
This is his buddy:
It doesn't matter that its metered or not, what matters is that that oil isn't entering in through the intake anymore. That makes the air charge cleaner, cleaner air = more efficent burn = higher effiency. I consistently notice an improved mpg with my car after installing an oil catch can. This is without changing my driving habits on my DD. You'd be surprised what it will filter out! Just do a search for the MS3 catch can How to, and you will see all the crap that came out after a month.

Yea had an oil catch can on my old integra might have helped on my mpg but just never really noticed it does help out with the sludge tho.

Last edited:
well yeah, but the PCV is still off the valve cover directly into the intake manifold. Same concept, different vehicle.

Ever seen an intake manifold taken off and seen all that gunk and oil inside of it? yeah thats from the PCV, hopefully its not from the air filter

uh if he's using the catch can between the valve cover and intake.. then it really isn't doing anything... you won't catch any oil through the breather... now through the PCV valve you'll catch quite a bit of oil...

i have a breather on my valve cover where the hose is supposed to connect to the intake... had it there for about 2 month and not a bit of oil has collected... the filter is still white
bcv001_large.jpg

now as for a DIY oil catch can... that's a plus... but the claim of better MPG's is shooting for the stars...

as for air entering the engine metered or not... any unmetered air = fail because it's like having a vacuum leak

*edit... hehe you ninj'd me

Last edited:
well the PCV is different from breather that you have on yours. thats also helping to not recirculate the oil. the PCV valve does send a little bit of oil from it to the ITM. I'll take a pic after my close to 1k mile trip.

this is from a guy with an modded engine after a year on another forum,
IMG_0494.jpg

yeah taking all that out instead of putting it into your cylinders seems like a good call haha. and that was on an engine with 30k miles, 2litre, N/A

coffee as a HP booster...that'd be an interesting one to make sure it didnt work lol

well DiY wont be up till i have MPG numbers from the 1K mile trip from FLA to PA. Once that is done and i'm on my pc i'll put up the DiY with the numbers and what not.

It looks impressively yucky, but I wonder what it would literally boil down to? It's a combination of ring blow-by and condensed oil vapors from the crankcase. But the blow-by is mainly CO2 and water. So I think it's just a cup of oily water. If it was really bad, you'd think you'd get an oily coat on the intake tract and outside of the throttle plate (the inside is EGR carboned) No harm in catching it, as long as you retain the PCV functionality to scavenge the blow-by. Without PCV you really are asking for sludge type effects.
Better mileage? I'm thinking only if the blow-by was enough that the plugs were getting fouled by it. And that would take a lot.

well it does coat the intake mani....i just did the port and vtcs removal of mine and let the mani soak in a cleaner/degreaser and that alone probably made a huge improvement.....the thing was totally black and gunk on the inside....left the cleaner completely black......

so i'm really interested in the diy....you should have went ahead and posted this for us and then added the numbers....and down here i avg like 35mpg and i cruise at 80 with ac on???

haha well if i had a comp that would let me load the pix up i would get it done now.

haha well if i had a comp that would let me load the pix up i would get it done now.

BOOOO that's no excuse now....if you had a story involving a fem...NOW that's an excuse we won't care about....haha...take your time man but i'm awfully curious and wanna see possibly do

Mine on NA DD catches about an ounce a month. Emptied about 6 ounces after about 6 months. It is between PCV & intake. Put it on after seeing the mesmerizing golden walls of the inside of the intake when removing vtcs/p&p. Figured the exhaust was sooty enough from running oem pig rich anyway so it wouldn't miss it. Cat is better off without the extra gack & EGR might even stay cleaner longer too...& does. That's about all I've seen as far as long term benefits. No performance or mileage increases observed. What comes out of mine just looks like oil, not that goop in the pic above.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back