GOING TO BEAR, NEED HELP deciding SNOW CHAINs or Cables

CasMs3

:
2008 MazdaSpeed3, True Red
Hey im going to bear tomorrow, and i know the conditions says that we need to have chains, but im wondering if anyone can help me cus i have a MS3 on stock 18' but my real question is that, can i actually take my car up there, and if so what should i use, chains or cables, and what brands? Anything will help thanks.

i dont think the ms3 , even with chains or cables, will make it up there on stock tires.

The stock bridgestones are horrible in snow, I wouldnt recommend driving them in any kind of snow let alone with chains are recommended. The tires are a summer compound not rated for use blow freezing.

I wouldn't take your brand new MS3 up there without being properly equiped. You might find yourself in a ditch or accident.

I thought chains were only good on steelies. Either because of fitment or because chains will rake your alloys.

Get some studdless snow tires asap. Do not take the stock tires anywhere near snow

Last edited:
Chains are better than nothing

Had a somewhat unexpected 7" of snow here east of Seattle and had to take the MS3 to go chain up my wife's car. Got there okay in fresh snow at VERY low speeds but on the way back slammed a curb and had the steering wheel at 90 degrees left while going straight. This was on an EXTREMELY moderate grade with the stock tires. Fresh snow, okay with experience, compact snow, totally f*d.

Get anything you feel comfortable with for emergency urban snow driving. Otherwise don't even bother taking these critters into snow. Bad, bad scene.

Update: Bent tie rod. Expensive rescue mission. Know where the paper turkey's going this year.

Last edited:
took my car up to lake arrowhead last saturday and ran into a fukn blizzard. now my car is making all this weird noise... i engaged my ABS about 30 times. I was an idiot for taking my beloved speed3 into the snow. dont follow my same mistake.

Im went to bear today.i took the front way. I have cables for my ms3 with the stock tires. definately wasnt the best drive but i managed. easy on the gas, brakes, and steering and you should be ok.

so really go buy a set of all season or snow tires is the recommended course of action? I was thinking of getting some goodyear Eagle GT's! Does this sound like a good way to go, but then i live in mostly sunny Ca, so most of the time i dont need anyhting but summer tires except when i go snowboarding, which i like to go alot.

Also is the only problem the tires in snow or does the stability/traction/abs cause an issue?

took my car up to lake arrowhead last saturday and ran into a fukn blizzard. now my car is making all this weird noise... i engaged my ABS about 30 times. I was an idiot for taking my beloved speed3 into the snow. dont follow my same mistake.

I drive my speed in snow all the time. With 205/60/16 studless tires on there it is a winter beast.

s***, I am glad I found this thread. I was about to drive up to Arrowhead for Christmas, but the mountains got dumped on, and I was worried how the car would take it. Sounds like rental car is the best option for me. I just dont trust that stupid mountain road without barracades in some parts. I want my car and me to return from the mountain together in one piece.

Best option for you is to get a set of studable tires, and when you get up there have the tire shops put then in that way your safe, you can go studdless but It doesn't work quite the same. The studs will grind themselves down eventually and your basically back to studdless, meanwhile you'll be safe and have no issues as long as it doesn't exceed 10 inches of fresh powder.

Im in northwest ohio on these stock bridgestones and i gotta say its one of the scariest cars i have ever driven in the snow.

I was thinking of getting some goodyear Eagle GT's!

I just put the Eagle GTs on my MS3 and I gotta say I am VERY impressed. I'm here in seattle where we've been getting pounded (with what is a lot of snow for our hills - and on top of 1/2 inch of ice no less). In the past (with other cars) I have not been able to get even half way up the hill i live on with a/s tires but with the Eagle GTs, the traction control and LSD, the MS3 went up without any problem.

That said, tonight it snowed another 4 inches and I couldn't hardly get anywhere. the Eagle GTs are AWESOME in light snow and even on ice, but are almost useless in deep snow. Am actually looking at getting cable chains now for when I have to go over the pass.

Do the cable chains, but like others said, DON'T bother with the stock rubber - they suck in the snow. It may break the bank, but if you get good a/s tires like the eagle GTs plus cable chains, you should be pretty good to go.

oh, btw - the eagle GTs handle pretty awesome in the dry for an a/s tire. just gotta know that the softer rubber means you won't come close to decent tire wear if you drive them hard.

-just my 2
leftcoastfunk

Put tires appropriate for your winters on the stock rims and in the spring buy a set of 8 inch rims and some sticky 235/40s for the fun months.

Good Day
Just drove my MS3 throug 14" of snow on Friday in SE Wisconsin, I put a set of Yoko WS4 225-45-18 A/S on just a couple weeks ago and the car was fun to drive and felt as stable as you ever feel on snowy , icey roads, worse thing I plowed a lot of snow which is still behind the front grill.
I also started to work to day on interstat, first time to 70 mph this weekend and I thought I must have lost a wheel weight the car shook so much.
When I got to work 55 miles latter this morning I looked at my wheels and they where packed with frozen snow, I guess I don't need a rebalance after all!

Back