Wheel Bearing Issue

speedblue88

:
2003 Laser Blue P5
Ok, so I'm pretty sure that my left front wheel bearing is going. I jacked it up and did the lateral wheel test and there is some movement, and I'm also getting the grinding/whirring noise when I turn the steering wheel left no matter how slightly. My question is how tough of a job is this to do yourself? I'm fairly mechanically inclined and can do basic automotive maintenance, but this is one that I've never tackled. I've heard some say that you need some sort of press machine, and others have said you can just use a hammer and punch. I've looked for a "how-to" on it, but haven't turned anything up. Any advice on what exactly I'm getting myself into here? I really need to get this job done. Thanks a ton.

You will need a press to tackle that job! I have never tackled this job personally but the shop did use a press to complete the job.

what some people do is take off the hub, take it to shop have the new bearing pressed in with their press, and then reinstall urself.
saves alot of money. if u would like to do this.

Will most places do that if I bring in a new bearing with the hub? Sounds like a pretty good idea if they will dxave. How tough is it to get the hub off? Any special tools needed? Thanks a million!

umm not really..just need a 10mm wrench (correct me if im wrong) to remove the brakes, and then slide the rotor/hub assembly off, and then take it to anyshop that has a press.
brake shops should have em i think..

Will most places do that if I bring in a new bearing with the hub? Sounds like a pretty good idea if they will dxave. How tough is it to get the hub off? Any special tools needed? Thanks a million!

You can always inquire about it before doing the job to know for sure. Also I'm not sure if you would need to get an alignment done afterwords or not.

Sweet. Thanks the info guys, sounds like that should save some $$$. So when I walk into Advance Auto, what do I tell them I need? Just a wheel bearing? A wheel bearing kit? Any other accessories?

i dont think alignment is necessary
dealership dint tell me i needed it.
but i have a site where u get 20bucks off the 1year plan at NTB for alignments :D

ohh yea here is a site i went to, Its the protege service manual:
http://www.floptical.net/mazda/

im dowloading it right now, Alldata works too, but id like to have the actual one

Thanks dxave. I was looking at the shop manual as well. So from what you're saying, the hub just slides right off after you take the caliper and rotor off? From the diagram it looks like it's attached to a few different things.

You will have to remove the steering knuckle, it contains the bearing. Other parts that need removing are the axle lock nut, tie rod end, lower ball joint, the manual doesn't say to remove the lower strut bolts but they will need to be removed to get the knuckle off. You will need a big socket for removing the axle nut, maybe 32mm, a puller for removing the tie rod end, unless you know how to use a hammer to remove it without damaging the threads.

After assembly I would recommend the wheel alignment be checked. That should be done any time the lower end of the strut is removed.

I have not removed a P5 hub, I used the shop manual as a reference. There may be some short cuts.

Clifton

Last edited:
FYI - I had that done a few months ago and was quoted everywhere from $300-$500...for one!!! I ended up going to CarX (I know) and they low balled me at $150..then wanted to charge me $800 for new brakes/rotors, which I politely declined and did them myself for about $300 =)

Thanks for all the info people....as always, the community here never disappoints (bowdown) I am debating whether to attempt this myself.....it's frickin' cold here in Indy right now and my car is coated in ice (notcool) I might have to just keep reading the shop manual until I psych myself up enough to get the confidence to try it.

Back