remote starter

You can get them to work on a manual vehicle, yes. I think shops will ask that you sign some sort of release of liability though if they install it for you.

You have to bypass some stuff but it is possible, I helped install one on an RSX-S. I'm looking into an alarm that has remote start, actually.

i remember when i was going to UTI, about 10 years ago, some kid had a remote starter on his manual car. while on the alignment rack he accidentally hit the button and off the rack it went. it almost killed another student.

The MS3 transmission has a switch that closes when you are in neutral. The hand brake has a switch too. A proper installation will use these and prevent the start if not set.

And it's worth the money for a specialty shop to install it. I've done it once and it's one of those things that I'll never, ever do again.

Waste of money if you ask me. Also unsafe, and will likely void manufacturer's warranty.

If you're sure that you will always leave it in neutral then it's fine.

I always park my car with it in neutral and the E-brake on. I live on very flat lands, so it doesn't seem nessesary for me to leave it in gear. And I did that once, forgot, and when I let the clutch out after I started the car, It stalled. Felt like a real idiot... (silly)

I always park my car with it in neutral and the E-brake on. I live on very flat lands, so it doesn't seem nessesary for me to leave it in gear. And I did that once, forgot, and when I let the clutch out after I started the car, It stalled. Felt like a real idiot... (silly)
That's what your remote starter will do too, unless you hook up the neutral interlock.

Make sure you get a remote starter that is compatible with manual cars. i would highly recommend compustar or dei products as their system has a safety mode for manual cars called "reservation mode" which reminds you to leave the car in neutral upon leaving your car. the car will remain running, when you remove your key and as soon as you shut the doors, it will lock all doors and your car is ready to be remote started. if for some reason you need something from the car and unlock the door, this automatically cancels reservation mode preventing you from remote starting the car just incase you trip the shifter into gear. You can also cancel reservation made if you park the car without pulling the e-brake or holding the brake pedal as you turn off the ignition. Theres also a valet mode (car cannot be remote started) by pressing 2 buttons just incase you need the car serviced or in some cases in a dyno.

Back