Tire Dressing Test; 2nd Edition

ThrillRide

:
Truck
If you missed the first edition check it out here: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123710023

So I have rounded up some new contestants. Many folks requested their favorite. Obviously I can't get them all in. Once again this test is in large part to see if the extra price of pro grade products are worth the extra $$$. And also in part to see what the best choices are for durability. So here are the contestants:

img0124pn4.jpg

I brought back one of the winners from last time. Last time the OPT tire shine, PB's Bold and Bright, and the NASCAR all faired well and similarly. So I brought back OPT tire shine because I have included another OPT product to compare it to, Opti-bond.

Product info:

OPT Tire Shine - One of the better performers last time. Gives a very nice flat new look shine. Lasts very well. ~$12

Black Magic tire wet - I actually got a lot of requests for this product. Honestly I won't use this product on my personal tires. Because of the petro distillates and silicones it causes some swelling and over a prolonged period will cause your tires to lose it's natural protection, casusing sling, and eventually dry rot. But as far as looks go it looks fine. I like to use it for wheel wells. ~$5

303 Aerospace Protectant - 303 is a great product. Works great for trim, rubber/plastics. Know a lot of people that like to use if for tire protection as well. Not my prefered choice for looks, but we'll see how it holds up. ~$13

Meguiar's Hyper Dressing - Meg's has so many products and many times the same type just in a different line. Last time I used the NXT insane, which just wasn't a great product. So this time, based on a request, I have Meg's Hyper, thanks to member blue-sun. He suggested using it cut 3:1 so I have done that as well as in full strength. Smells like grape candy! But don't eat it ;). I have only seen it in gallon form so price is based on that. If someone knows a price for a smaller size chime in. ~$40

OPT OPti-bond - Opti bond gets good reviews, me included. A lot of pros like to apply it by spray gun. I don't want to go to that trouble. It can be applied just like any other product. Really nice product, very similar to the Tire Shine. ~$12

Zaino Z16 - Another quality pro grade product. Has nice looks and smells like buble gum! Don't eat this one either! ~$13

Initial Impressions:

This is more of a pro lineup this time. The Meg's Hyper is under their Pro Line. The 303 can be picked up in stores but is still more of a pro grade product and not often the first choice of someone walking in a store for a product. The Black Magic is our only OTC product and is about half the price of the others.
Here is a pic of the test subject. It is a fairly new tire, so it still looks good on its own. The last tire was old and had little natural protection left in it so it soaked up some of the product more. This one show more of shine to the products because it doesn't soak them up as much. Sorry my camera just isn't the best. I tried for the best lighting I could:

Clean subject:
img0126pl8.jpg

Dressed and labled:

img0127yq2.jpg

img0128xe1.jpg

img0129us8.jpg

img0130nw4.jpg

img0131cc2.jpg

Initially there really isn't anything special to note. Being that this is a newer tire all of the products look close to the same...except for the 303 that is. Clearly the 303 doesn't contain much shine. But I am sure that it will perform just fine as far as protection goes. So if a flat look is what you like then this might be just fine.

I had my 9 year old nephew helping me out. I asked him which one he liked best and why. He said he liked the opti-bond the best. And he said it was because it looked the darkest and the most shiney. He liked the Meg's full and OPT tire shine for 2nd and the Meg's 3:1 and zaino following. And, well the 303 was last lol.

Again, initially the looks really don't matter. I tend to like the opti-bond too. It does have a very deep black look. I still am a fan of the way the tire shine looks. The black magic is similar initially with a flatter gloss. The zaino has the flatest gloss initially. Both of the Meg's look nice. Be interesting to see how well they hold up to one another.

So really not much to say right now. Just as last time I am allowing the tire to cure for 24 hours in the garage and then it will be moved outside face up 24/7. The weather here has been interesting. Was 80 yesterday and will only be 35 today. Been like that, up and down. Humidity as well. So I will let it go for a week and then report back and we'll go from there.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by a moderator:
LMAO, Sorry guys I just realized I put the wrong 303 product in the pic! I did use the proper product on the tire however! Sorry!!! lol

Got a rainy day so I have a few moments to get some updates up. Again, sorry it took me so long. I've been slammed.

Gave the tire a light bath to see how things are holding up. As you can see the OPT products and the Meg's Hyper, both full and 3:1 are still beading the best. Something I can't really get a shot of is water spots. My sprinkler system oversprayed the tire on a windy day. The Opti-Bond shows significantly smaller and less spotting than the rest. The 303 actaully faired well in that respect also. The OPT products and the Meg's all had fewer and smaller than Black Magic and Zaino.

With the sun it's hard to get a shot to show which still looks the best. But honestly they are all about the same. The opti-bond to me still looks a little darker than the rest.

For me the Opti-bond is the clear leader right now with the Meg's and OPT tire shines following close. The 303 is a good protector but nothing fancy, the Zaino and the Black Magic are bringing up the rear.

The tire has had a good test. We've had days in the 80s and then in the 20s. Had a nice sheet of ice sit on it for a couple days also. It's looking like we are going to have rain for a few days so I'm going to let the test run another week and see how they respond since being washed. And that should wrap it up.
Thanks again for looking, and hope this helps.

I'll probably do this again this Summer. What did you have in mind?

Since this got bumped I'll add a little post review. I've been using these for various uses. Black Magic has been demoted to fender wells only. This stuff is pure crap. I won't ever buy it again. Not even for fender wells. Its a PITA. I've been trying opti-bond in other fashions. Just used it for a truck bed cover. Looks and works great. Still hesitant to try it on interior, even though it says it can be done. It has been my go to tire product right now. Honestly I've been very disappointed with Zaino. I'd used it in the past and thought it was fine, but after putting it to the test and using it more, it really doesn't stack up to some of the others I've tested. Doesn't make sense when I can get 32oz of opti for less.

Auto Magic Magic Dressing

I use Auto Magic Magic Dressing - No. 33A. I also use that on some of my vehicles interior.

Under, "Dressed and labled:" you have 2 photos, but there are 5 links to them in the code." Are you missing some?

Thanks. Meg's has so many different tire shine products. I could probably put one in every time. Hyper did well this last time. Not used the Gold class high gloss. It does contain petro distillates and heavy oils. Have you ever had any issues with sling or any browning?

I cant stand that browning effect. Personally and professionally I have been just going the cheap route and using the ArmorALL Detailers choice. Not over glossy, cleans well and is easy to get/keep off the rims and car.

I cant stand that browning effect. Personally and professionally I have been just going the cheap route and using the ArmorALL Detailers choice. Not over glossy, cleans well and is easy to get/keep off the rims and car.

Never heard of Armorall Detailers Choice. Do you mean Detailers Advantage?

I have never had a problem with browning or sling but if I go thru a period of heavy rain fall or dirty conditions I usually scrub the tires with a spray nine and scrotch brite combination to get them back to natural state. I do not use an excess of megs and any excess would be removed with the applicator in another pass.

I have been using the high gloss for the last few years with great results and a bottle will last me a season on my two vehicles.

I'm a big believer of always dressing the tires after a wash of the car as the car does not look complete without it.

Last edited:
Back